OREMUS: 9 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 8 19:47:34 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Sunday, November 9, 2008
The Third Sunday before Advent

Blessed are you, O God.
for all the saints
who have gone before us,
who have spoken to our hearts,
and have touched us with your fire.
Blessed are you, O God,
for all the saints
who live beside us,
whose weakness and strengths
are woven with our own.
Blessed are you, O God,
who live beyond us,
who challenge us
to change the world with them.

The king rejoices in your strength, O Lord;*
 how greatly he exults in your victory!
You have given him his heart's desire;*
 you have not denied him the request of his lips.
For you meet him with blessings of prosperity,*
 and set a crown of fine gold upon his head.
He asked you for life and you gave it to him;*
 length of days, for ever and ever.
His honour is great, because of your victory;*
 splendour and majesty have you bestowed upon him.
For you will give him everlasting felicity*
 and will make him glad with the joy of your presence.
For the king puts his trust in the Lord;*
 because of the loving-kindness of the Most High,
   he will not fall.
Your hand will lay hold upon all your enemies;*
 your right hand will seize all those who hate you.
You will make them like a fiery furnace*
 at the time of your appearing, O Lord;
You will swallow them up in your wrath,*
 and fire shall consume them.
You will destroy their offspring from the land*
 and their descendants
   from among the peoples of the earth.
Though they intend evil against you
   and devise wicked schemes,*
 yet they shall not prevail.
For you will put them to flight*
 and aim your arrows at them.
Be exalted, O Lord, in your might;*
 we will sing and praise your power.

Psalm 22:22-end

Praise the Lord, you that fear him;*
 stand in awe of him, O offspring of Israel;
   all you of Jacob's line, give glory.
For he does not despise nor abhor
   the poor in their poverty;
   neither does he hide his face from them;*
 but when they cry to him he hears them.
My praise is of him in the great assembly;*
 I will perform my vows
   in the presence of those who worship him.
The poor shall eat and be satisfied,
   and those who seek the Lord shall praise him:*
 'May your heart live for ever!'
All the ends of the earth
   shall remember and turn to the Lord,*
 and all the families of the nations
   shall bow before him.
For kingship belongs to the Lord;*
 he rules over the nations.
To him alone all who sleep in the earth
   bow down in worship;*
 all who go down to the dust fall before him.
My soul shall live for him;
   my descendants shall serve him;*
 they shall be known as the Lord's for ever.
They shall come and make known to a people yet unborn*
 the saving deeds that he has done.

A Song of Tobit (Tobit 13.1,3,4-6a)

Blessed be God, who lives for ever,
whose reign endures throughout all ages.
Declare God's praise before the nations,
you who are the children of Israel.
For if our God has scattered you among them,
there too has he shown you his greatness.
Exalt him in the sight of the living,
because he is our Lord and God and our Father for ever.
Though God punishes you for your wickedness,
mercy will be shown to you all.
God will gather you from every nation,
from wherever you have been scattered.
When you turn to the Lord
with all your heart and soul,
God will hide his face from you no more.
See what the Lord has done for you
and give thanks with a loud voice.
Praise the Lord of righteousness
and exalt the King of the ages.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Joel 3:9-17]:

Proclaim this among the nations:
Prepare war,
   stir up the warriors.
Let all the soldiers draw near,
   let them come up.
Beat your ploughshares into swords,
   and your pruning-hooks into spears;
   let the weakling say, 'I am a warrior.'

Come quickly,
   all you nations all around,
   gather yourselves there.
Bring down your warriors, O Lord.
Let the nations rouse themselves,
   and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat;
for there I will sit to judge
   all the neighbouring nations.

Put in the sickle,
   for the harvest is ripe.
Go in, tread,
   for the wine press is full.
The vats overflow,
   for their wickedness is great.

Multitudes, multitudes,
   in the valley of decision!
For the day of the Lord is near
   in the valley of decision.
The sun and the moon are darkened,
   and the stars withdraw their shining.

The Lord roars from Zion,
   and utters his voice from Jerusalem,
   and the heavens and the earth shake.
But the Lord is a refuge for his people,
   a stronghold for the people of Israel.

So you shall know that I, the Lord your God,
   dwell in Zion, my holy mountain.
And Jerusalem shall be holy,
   and strangers shall never again pass through it.

HYMN
Words: Scottish Paraphrases, 1781
Music: Bishopthorpe

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b074.html

Behold! the mountain of the Lord
in latter days shall rise
on mountain tops above the hills,
and draw the wondering eyes.

To this the joyful nations round,
all tribes and tongues, shall flow;
up to the hill of God, they'll say,
and to his house we'll go.

The beam that shines from Zion hill
shall lighten every land;
the King who reigns in Salem's towers
shall all the world command.

Among the nations he shall judge;
his judgments truth shall guide;
his scepter shall protect the just,
and quell the sinner's pride.

No strife shall vex Messiah's reign
or mar the peaceful years;
to plowshares men shall beat their swords,
to pruning-hooks their spears.

No longer hosts, encountering hosts,
shall crowds of slain deplore;
they hang the trumpet in the hall,
and study war no more.

Come then, O come, from every land
to worship at his shrine;
and, walking in the light of God,
with holy beauties shine.

Alternate versions of verses 5-7:

No strife shall rage/vex, nor hostile feuds
disturb those peaceful years;
to ploughshares men shall beat their swords,
to pruning-hooks their spears.

No longer hosts, encountering hosts,
their millions slain deplore;
they hang the trumpet in the hall,
and study war no more.

Come then, O house of Jacob! come
to worship at his shrine;
and, walking in the light of God,
with holy beauties shine.

SECOND READING [Matthew 13:36-52]:

Jesus left the crowds and went into the house. And his disciples approached him,
saying, 'Explain to us the parable of the weeds of the field.' He answered, 'The one
who sows the good seed is the Son of Man; the field is the world, and the good seed
are the children of the kingdom; the weeds are the children of the evil one, and the
enemy who sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers
are angels. Just as the weeds are collected and burned up with fire, so will it be at the
end of the age. The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will collect out of his
kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, and they will throw them into the furnace
of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will
shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Let anyone with ears listen!

'The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which someone found and
hid; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

'Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls; on finding
one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.

'Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was thrown into the sea and caught
fish of every kind; when it was full, they drew it ashore, sat down, and put the good
into baskets but threw out the bad. So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will
come out and separate the evil from the righteous and throw them into the furnace of
fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

'Have you understood all this?' They answered, 'Yes.' And he said to them,
'Therefore every scribe who has been trained for the kingdom of heaven is like the
master of a household who brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old.'

God is for us a refuge and strength. In faith let us bring our prayers to the Lord.

We pray on this feast of the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica for the Church
throughout the world, and especially for Pope Benedict: that, filled with the power of
the Holy Spirit, we may together fulfil our calling to live as the body of Christ. Lord,
in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray on this Remembrance Sunday for all those who have died in war, that they
may rest in peace; as we remember this week the 90th anniversary of the end of the
First World War, we pray for an end to conflict and violence in our world today.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for President-elect Barack Obama and his family, as he prepares to take up
office in the United States: that he may be filled with wisdom and strength to face the
many challenges that await him, and that he may bring new hope of peace, justice and
equality to an eager world. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo, suffering as a result of
the conflict in their country: that there may be reconciliation and an end to violence
among the peoples of that land, and that the relief agencies seeking to bring aid to
those in need may have the necessary resources and support.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father, you promise to be close to us when we call upon you. We ask you to
hear the prayers that we make through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

Eternal God,
you have taught us that the night is far spent
and the day is at hand:
Keep us awake and alert, watching for your kingdom,
so that when Christ, the bridegroom,
comes we may go out joyfully to meet him,
and with him enter into the marriage feast
that you have prepared for all who truly love you;
one God, now and forever.  Amen.

God beyond answers,
Lord beyond words,
Spirit beyond imagining,
move us today. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Janet Morley. The closing prayer is from
the Pray Now website, http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/worship/wpprayer9.htm

The collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster /
John Knox Press.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers