OREMUS: 8 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Nov 7 17:21:32 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Saturday, November 8, 2008

Blessed are you, O God.
the hope of the nations,
the builder of the city that is to come.
Your love made visible in Jesus Christ
brings home the lost,
restores the sinner
and gives dignity to the despised.
In his face your light shines out,
flooding lives with goodness and truth,
gathering into one in your kingdom
a divided and broken humanity.
Therefore with all who can give voice in your creation
we glorify your name,

O God, the heathen have come into your inheritance;
   they have profaned your holy temple;*
 they have made Jerusalem a heap of rubble.
They have given the bodies of your servants
   as food for the birds of the air,*
 and the flesh of your faithful ones
   to the beasts of the field.
They have shed their blood like water
   on every side of Jerusalem,*
 and there was no one to bury them.
We have become a reproach to our neighbours,*
 an object of scorn and derision to those around us.
How long will you be angry, O Lord?*
 will your fury blaze like fire for ever?
Pour out your wrath upon the heathen
   who have not known you*
 and upon the kingdoms
   that have not called upon your name.
For they have devoured Jacob*
 and made his dwelling a ruin.
Remember not our past sins;
   let your compassion be swift to meet us;*
 for we have been brought very low.
Help us, O God our Saviour, for the glory of your name;*
 deliver us and forgive us our sins, for your name's sake.<!-- v10
     [
Why should the heathen say, 'Where is their God?'*
 Let it be known among the heathen and in our sight
   that you avenge the shedding
   of your servants' blood.]
Let the sorrowful sighing of the prisoners
   come before you,*
 and by your great might
   spare those who are condemned to die.<!-- v12
     [
May the revilings with which
   they reviled you, O Lord,*
 return sevenfold into their bosoms.]
We are your people and the sheep of your pasture;*
 we will give you thanks for ever
   and show forth your praise from age to age.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7.9,10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
which no one could number,
>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
standing before the throne and the Lamb.
They were clothed in white robes
and had palms in their hands,
and they cried with a loud voice, saying,
'Salvation belongs to our God
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.'
These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
they have washed their robes
and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;
Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
whom they serve day and night within the temple.
And the One who sits upon the throne .
will shelter them with his presence.
They shall never again feel hunger or thirst, .
the sun shall not strike them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
will be their Shepherd,
He will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 19:11-end]:

But if someone at enmity with another lies in wait and attacks and takes the life of that
person, and flees into one of these cities, then the elders of the killer's city shall send
to have the culprit taken from there and handed over to the avenger of blood to be put
to death. Show no pity; you shall purge the guilt of innocent blood from Israel, so that
it may go well with you.

You must not move your neighbour's boundary marker, set up by former generations,
on the property that will be allotted to you in the land that the Lord your God is giving
you to possess.

A single witness shall not suffice to convict a person of any crime or wrongdoing in
connection with any offence that may be committed. Only on the evidence of two or
three witnesses shall a charge be sustained. If a malicious witness comes forward to
accuse someone of wrongdoing, then both parties to the dispute shall appear before
the Lord, before the priests and the judges who are in office in those days, and the
judges shall make a thorough inquiry. If the witness is a false witness, having testified
falsely against another, then you shall do to the false witness just as the false witness
had meant to do to the other. So you shall purge the evil from your midst. The rest
shall hear and be afraid, and a crime such as this shall never again be committed among
you. Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for
foot.

HYMN
Words: Gerhard Tersteegen, 1729;
trans. Frederick William Foster and John Miller, 1789;
alt. William Mercer, 1854
Music: Arnsberg
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g250.html

God reveals his presence:
let us now adore him,
and with awe appear before him.
God is in his temple:
all within keep silence,
prostrate lie with deepest reverence.
Him alone,
God we own,
him our God and Savior:
praise his Name for ever.

God reveals his presence:
hear the harps resounding!
See the hosts the throne surrounding!
"Holy, holy, holy,"
hear the hymn ascending,
angels saints, their voices blending!
Bow thine ear
to us here:
hear, O Christ, the praises
that thy Church now raises.

O thou Font of blessing,
purify my spirit,
trusting only in thy merit.
Like the holy angels
who behold thy glory,
may I ceaselessly adore thee.
Let thy will
ever still
rule thy Church terrestrial,
as the hosts celestial.

SECOND READING [Matthew 28:11-end]:

While they were going, some of the guard went into the city and told the chief priests
everything that had happened. After the priests had assembled with the elders, they
devised a plan to give a large sum of money to the soldiers, telling them, 'You must
say, "His disciples came by night and stole him away while we were asleep." If this
comes to the governor's ears, we will satisfy him and keep you out of trouble.' So
they took the money and did as they were directed. And this story is still told among
the Jews to this day.

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed
them. When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted. And Jesus came
and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go
therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father
and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I
have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.'

Eternal God,
you have declared in Christ
the completion of all your purpose of love.

We pray for those in need:
the tempted and despairing....
the sick and handicapped....
the aged...
and the dying....
the ministries of care and healing....
those who mourn....

Eternal God, we give thanks
for the triumphs of the gospel that herald your salvation
the signs of renewal that declare
the coming of your kingdom,
the human lives that reveal your work of grace....

for all those who have died in faith....

for the unceasing praise of the company of heaven,
the promise to those who mourn
that all tears shall be wiped away,
the pledge of death destroyed and victory won....

for our foretaste of eternal life
through baptism and eucharist,
our hope in the Spirit,
and the communion of saints....

May we live by faith, walk in hope and be renewed in love,
until the world reflects your glory
and you are all in all.
Even so, come Lord Jesus. Amen.

Eternal God,
conceiver and shaper,
ruler and saviour of the world,
we bless you that, awake and aware,
we are free to praise you.
Bound in the family of Christ
to worshippers in every land,
we worship you in our mother tongue
as others do in theirs.
Deepen our resolve and strengthen our hands
that we might be part of your pattern and praise. Amen.

May the God of peace sanctify us:
may God so strengthen our hearts in holiness
that we may be blameless before God
at the coming of our Lord Jesus with his saints. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons_,
material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2004. Used with permission. The closing prayer is 1 Thessalonians 5:23; 3:13

The intercessions are (c) 2000, The Church of Ireland Central Communications
Board. The collect is from Gathering for Worship, The Baptist Union of Great
Britain.