OREMUS: 7 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Nov 6 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Friday, November 7, 2008
Willibrord of York, Bishop, Apostle of Frisia, 739

Blessed are you, O God.
the hope of the nations,
the builder of the city that is to come.
Your love made visible in Jesus Christ
brings home the lost,
restores the sinner
and gives dignity to the despised.
In his face your light shines out,
flooding lives with goodness and truth,
gathering into one in your kingdom
a divided and broken humanity.
Therefore with all who can give voice in your creation
we glorify your name,

Psalm 69:1-22, 30-37

Save me, O God,*
 for the waters have risen up to my neck.
I am sinking in deep mire,*
 and there is no firm ground for my feet.
I have come into deep waters,*
 and the torrent washes over me.
I have grown weary with my crying;
   my throat is inflamed;*
 my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
Those who hate me without a cause
   are more than the hairs of my head;
   my lying foes who would destroy me are mighty.*
 Must I then give back what I never stole?
O God, you know my foolishness,*
 and my faults are not hidden from you.
Let not those who hope in you
   be put to shame through me, Lord God of hosts;*
 let not those who seek you be disgraced because of me,
   O God of Israel.
Surely, for your sake have I suffered reproach,*
 and shame has covered my face.
I have become a stranger to my own kindred,*
 an alien to my mother's children.
Zeal for your house has eaten me up;*
 the scorn of those who scorn you has fallen upon me.
I humbled myself with fasting,*
 but that was turned to my reproach.
I put on sack-cloth also,*
 and became a byword among them.
Those who sit at the gate murmur against me,*
 and the drunkards make songs about me.
But as for me, this is my prayer to you,*
 at the time you have set, O Lord:
'In your great mercy, O God,*
 answer me with your unfailing help.
'Save me from the mire; do not let me sink;*
 let me be rescued from those who hate me
   and out of the deep waters.
'Let not the torrent of waters wash over me,
   neither let the deep swallow me up;*
 do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.
'Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind;*
 in your great compassion, turn to me.
'Hide not your face from your servant;*
 be swift and answer me, for I am in distress.
'Draw near to me and redeem me;*
 because of my enemies deliver me.
'You know my reproach, my shame and my dishonour;*
 my adversaries are all in your sight.'
Reproach has broken my heart and it cannot be healed;*
 I looked for sympathy, but there was none,
   for comforters, but I could find no one.
They gave me gall to eat,*
 and when I was thirsty, they gave me vinegar to drink.
As for me, I am afflicted and in pain;*
 your help, O God, will lift me up on high.
I will praise the name of God in song;*
 I will proclaim his greatness with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an offering of oxen,*
 more than bullocks with horns and hoofs.
The afflicted shall see and be glad;*
 you who seek God, your heart shall live.
For the Lord listens to the needy,*
 and his prisoners he does not despise.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him,*
 the seas and all that moves in them;
For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah;*
 they shall live there and have it in possession.
The children of his servants will inherit it,*
 and those who love his name will dwell therein.

A Song of Christ the Servant 1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.
He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.
When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.
Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.
By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 18:15-end]:

The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own
people; you shall heed such a prophet. This is what you requested of the Lord your
God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said: 'If I hear the voice of the
Lord my God any more, or ever again see this great fire, I will die.' Then the Lord
replied to me: 'They are right in what they have said. I will raise up for them a prophet
like you from among their own people; I will put my words in the mouth of the
prophet, who shall speak to them everything that I command. Anyone who does not
heed the words that the prophet shall speak in my name, I myself will hold
accountable. But any prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, or who presumes
to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded the prophet to speak that
prophet shall die.' You may say to yourself, 'How can we recognize a word that the
Lord has not spoken?' If a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord but the thing does
not take place or prove true, it is a word that the Lord has not spoken. The prophet
has spoken it presumptuously; do not be frightened by it.

HYMN
Words: Carl P. Daw. Jr.   1989 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL 60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.

Music: Kingsfold (English)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b122.html

Blest be the God of Israel
who comes to set us free
and raises new hope for us:
a Branch from David's tree.
So have the prophets long declared
that with a mighty arm
God would turn back our enemies
and all who wish us harm.

With promised mercy will God still
the covenant recall:
the oath once sworn to Abraham,
from foes to save us all;
that we might worship without fear
and offer lives of praise,
in holiness and righteousness
before God all our days.

My child, as prophet of the Lord,
you will prepare the way,
to tell God's people they are saved
from sin's eternal sway.
Then shall God's mercy from on high
shine forth and never cease
to drive away the gloom of death
and lead us into peace.

SECOND READING [Matthew 28:1-10]:

After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the
other Mary went to see the tomb. And suddenly there was a great earthquake; for an
angel of the Lord, descending from heaven, came and rolled back the stone and sat on
it. His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow. For fear of him
the guards shook and became like dead men. But the angel said to the women, 'Do not
be afraid; I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for
he has been raised, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and
tell his disciples, "He has been raised from the dead, and indeed he is going ahead of
you to Galilee; there you will see him." This is my message for you.' So they left the
tomb quickly with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Suddenly Jesus met
them and said, 'Greetings!' And they came to him, took hold of his feet, and
worshipped him. Then Jesus said to them, 'Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to
go to Galilee; there they will see me.'

Gracious God and Father,
you have given your Son for us all,
that his death might be our life
and his affliction our peace.

We pray for the suffering...
the hungry....
the refugees....
the prisoners....
the persecuted....
all who bring sin and suffering to others....
ministries of care and relief....
the Church in all its work, especially

Gracious God and Father, we give you thanks

for the cross of Christ at the heart of creation,
the presence of Christ in our weakness and strength,
the power of Christ to transform our suffering....

for all ministries of healing,
all agencies of relief,
all that sets men free from pain, fear and distress....

for the assurance that your mercy knows no limit,
and for the privilege of sharing
your work of renewal through prayer.

In darkness and in light,
in trouble and in joy,
help us to trust your love, to serve your purpose
and to praise your name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Bless our beautiful land, O Lord,
with its wonderful variety of people,
of races, cultures and languages.
May we be a nation
of laughter and joy,
of justice and reconciliation,
of peace and unity,
of compassion, caring and sharing.
We pray this prayer for a true patriotism,
in the powerful name of Jesus our Lord. Amen.

God, the Saviour of all,
you sent your bishop Willibrord from this land
to proclaim the good news to many peoples
and confirm them in their faith:
help us also to witness to your steadfast love
by word and deed
so that your Church may increase
and grow strong in holiness;
one God, now and for ever.Amen.

May the God of peace sanctify us:
may God so strengthen our hearts in holiness
that we may be blameless before God
at the coming of our Lord Jesus with his saints. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons_,
material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2004. Used with permission. The closing prayer is 1 Thessalonians 5:23; 3:13

The intercessions are (c) 2000, The Church of Ireland Central Communications
Board. The first collect is by Desmond Tutu.

 Willibrord, first Archbishop of Utrecht, is one of the missionaries sent out by the
Anglo-Saxon Christians about a century after they had themselves been Christianized by
missionaries in the south and east of England from Rome and the Continent, and in the
north and west from the Celtic peoples of Scotland, Ireland, and Wales.

Our information about Willibrord comes to us from the Venerable Bede (History of the
English Church and People) and from a biography by his younger kinsman Alcuin,
Minister of Education under the Emperor Charlemagne. Willibrord was born in
Northumbria in England about 658, and studied in France and Ireland. In 690 he set out
with 12 companions to preach to the pagans of Frisia (a region roughly coextensive with
the province of Friesland in the Netherlands, including some adjacent territories and the
Frisian islands in the North Sea). His work was interrupted several times by wars, and he
left for a while to preach to the Danes instead. He died 7 November 739. [James Kiefer]