OREMUS: 6 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Nov 5 17:00:01 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Thursday, November 6, 2008
William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury, Teacher of the Faith, 1944

Blessed are you, O God.
the hope of the nations,
the builder of the city that is to come.
Your love made visible in Jesus Christ
brings home the lost,
restores the sinner
and gives dignity to the despised.
In his face your light shines out,
flooding lives with goodness and truth,
gathering into one in your kingdom
a divided and broken humanity.
Therefore with all who can give voice in your creation
we glorify your name,

Psalm 74 [CCP]

O God, why have you utterly cast us off?*
 why is your wrath so hot
   against the sheep of your pasture?
Remember your congregation that you purchased long ago,*
 the tribe you redeemed to be your inheritance,
   and Mount Zion where you dwell.
Turn your steps towards the endless ruins;*
 the enemy has laid waste everything in your sanctuary.
Your adversaries roared in your holy place;*
 they set up their banners as tokens of victory.
They were like men coming up with axes
   to a grove of trees;*
 they broke down all your carved work
   with hatchets and hammers.
They set fire to your holy place;*
 they defiled the dwelling-place of your name
   and razed it to the ground.
They said to themselves, 'Let us destroy them altogether.'*
 They burned down all the meeting-places of God
   in the land.
There are no signs for us to see;
   there is no prophet left;*
 there is not one among us who knows how long.
How long, O God, will the adversary scoff?*
 will the enemy blaspheme your name for ever?
Why do you draw back your hand?*
 why is your right hand hidden in your bosom?
Yet God is my king from ancient times,*
 victorious in the midst of the earth.
You divided the sea by your might*
 and shattered the heads of the dragons upon the waters;
You crushed the heads of Leviathan*
 and gave him to the people of the desert for food.
You split open spring and torrent;*
 you dried up ever-flowing rivers.
Yours is the day, yours also the night;*
 you established the moon and the sun.
You fixed all the boundaries of the earth;*
 you made both summer and winter.
Remember, O Lord, how the enemy scoffed,*
 how a foolish people despised your name.
Do not hand over the life of your dove to wild beasts;*
 never forget the lives of your poor.
Look upon your covenant;*
 the dark places of the earth are haunts of violence.
Let not the oppressed turn away ashamed;*
 let the poor and needy praise your name.
Arise, O God, maintain your cause;*
 remember how fools revile you all day long.
Forget not the clamour of your adversaries,*
 the unending tumult of those who rise up against you.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-5,18,19,21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!
By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you,
Who are being protected by the power of God through faith,
for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold
But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.
Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 17:14-end]:

When you have come into the land that the Lord your God is giving you, and have
taken possession of it and settled in it, and you say, 'I will set a king over me, like all
the nations that are around me', you may indeed set over you a king whom the Lord
your God will choose. One of your own community you may set as king over you; you
are not permitted to put a foreigner over you, who is not of your own community.
Even so, he must not acquire many horses for himself, or return the people to Egypt in
order to acquire more horses, since the Lord has said to you, 'You must never return
that way again.' And he must not acquire many wives for himself, or else his heart will
turn away; also silver and gold he must not acquire in great quantity for himself. When
he has taken the throne of his kingdom, he shall have a copy of this law written for him
in the presence of the levitical priests. It shall remain with him and he shall read in it all
the days of his life, so that he may learn to fear the Lord his God, diligently observing
all the words of this law and these statutes, neither exalting himself above other
members of the community nor turning aside from the commandment, either to the
right or to the left, so that he and his descendants may reign long over his kingdom in
Israel.

HYMN
Words: James Weldon Johnson, 1899
Music: Lift every voice

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l117.html

Lift every voice and sing
till earth and heaven ring,
ring with the harmonies of liberty.
Let our rejoicing rise
high as the listening skies;
let it resound loud as the rolling sea.
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us;
sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us;
facing the rising sun
of our new day begun,
let us march on, till victory is won.

Stony the road we trod,
bitter the chastening rod,
felt in the days when hope unborn had died;
yet, with a steady beat,
have not our weary feet
come to the place for which our parents sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears have been watered;
we have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered,
out from the gloomy past,
till now we stand at last
where the white gleam of our bright star is cast.

God of our weary years,
God of our silent tears,
thou who hast brought us thus far on the way;
thou who hast by thy might led us into the light;
keep us for ever in the path, we pray.
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met thee;
lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget thee;
shadowed beneath thy hand
may we for ever stand,
true to our God, true to our native land.

SECOND READING [Matthew 27:57-end]:

When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who was
also a disciple of Jesus. He went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus; then Pilate
ordered it to be given to him. So Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen
cloth and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn in the rock. He then rolled a
great stone to the door of the tomb and went away. Mary Magdalene and the other
Mary were there, sitting opposite the tomb.

The next day, that is, after the day of Preparation, the chief priests and the Pharisees
gathered before Pilate and said, 'Sir, we remember what that impostor said while he
was still alive, "After three days I will rise again." Therefore command that the tomb
be made secure until the third day; otherwise his disciples may go and steal him away,
and tell the people, "He has been raised from the dead", and the last deception would
be worse than the first.' Pilate said to them, 'You have a guard of soldiers; go, make it
as secure as you can.' So they went with the guard and made the tomb secure by
sealing the stone.

Almighty God, who hast given us this good land for our heritage: We humbly beseech
thee that we may always prove ourselves a people mindful of thy favor and glad to do
thy will. Bless our land with honorable industry, sound learning, and pure manners.
Save us from violence, discord, and confusion; from pride and arrogance, and from
every evil way. Defend our liberties, and fashion into one united people the multitudes
brought hither out of many kindreds and tongues. Endue with the spirit of wisdom
those to whom in thy Name we entrust the authority of government, that there may be
justice and peace at home, and that, through obedience to thy law, we may show forth
thy praise among the nations of the earth In the time of prosperity, fill our hearts with
thankfulness, and in the day of trouble, suffer not our trust in thee to fail; all which we
ask through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Grant, O God, that your holy and life-giving Spirit may so move every human heart
and especially the hearts of the people of this land, that barriers which divide us may
crumble, suspicions disappear, and hatreds cease; that our divisions being healed, we
may live in justice and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God, you have bound us together in a common life. Help us, in the midst of our
struggles for justice and truth, to confront one another without hatred or bitterness,
and to work together with mutual forbearance and respect; through Jesus Christ our
Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
who founded the Church as the Body of Christ,
that as your Son Jesus of Nazareth
used the body of flesh and blood
to live the life which interprets to us your very being,
so the Church exists on earth to do the same.
We thank you for the witness of your servant William Temple
who called the Church to return to its true purpose,
the Word of God going forth to conquer
in Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit

May the God of peace sanctify us:
may God so strengthen our hearts in holiness
that we may be blameless before God
at the coming of our Lord Jesus with his saints. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons_,
material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2004. Used with permission. The closing prayer is 1 Thessalonians 5:23; 3:13

The second collect is by Stephen Benner and is based on a passage from the
writings of William Temple.
 asc
Temple's admirers have called him "a philosopher, theologian, social teacher,
educational reformer, and the leader of the ecumenical movement of his
generation," "the most significant Anglican churchman of the twentieth
century," "the most renowned Primate in the Church of England since the
English Reformation," "Anglican's most creative and comprehensive
contribution to the theological enterprise of the West." One of his biographers
lists him (along with Richard Hooker, Joseph Butler, and Frederick Denison
Maurice) as one of the Four Great Doctors of the Anglican Communion.

William Temple, 98th Archbishop of Canterbury, was born in 1881, the second
son of Frederick Temple. At the age of two, he had the first attack of the gout
that would be with him throughout life and eventually kill him. His eyesight
was bad, and a cataract, present from infancy, left him completely blind in the
right eye when he was 40. However, he was an avid reader, with a
near-photographic memory, and once he had read a book, it was his. He was a
passionate lover of the music of Bach. In literature, his special enthusiasms
were poetry (Browning and Shelley), drama (the Greeks and Shakespeare), and
a few novels, especially The Brothers Karamazov. He believed that theological
ideas were often explored most effectively by writers who were not explicitly
writing theology.

He was at Oxford (Balliol) from 1900 to 1904, and was president of the
Oxford Union (the debating society of the University). Here he developed a
remarkable ability to sum up an issue, expressing the pros and cons so clearly
and fairly that the original opponents often ended up agreeing with each other.
This ability served him in good stead later when he moderated conferences on
theological and social issues. However, it was not just a useful talent for
settling disputes. It was, or developed into, an important part of his
philosophy, a belief in Dialectic, derived from Hegel and from Plato. He
thought that beliefs and ideas reach their full maturity through their response to
opposing ideas.

In 1906, he applied for ordination, but the Bishop of Oxford would not ordain
him because he admitted that his belief in the Virgin Birth and the Bodily
Resurrection of Jesus was shaky. However, Davidson, the Archbishop of
Canterbury, after a careful examination, decided that Temple's thought was
developing in a direction that would inevitably bring him into an orthodox
position, and decided to take a chance on ordaining him (deacon 1909, priest
1910). He may be said to have won his bet, in that by 1913 Temple had indeed
committed himself fully to the orthodox position, and could write: "I believe in
the Virgin Birth...it wonderfully holds before the imagination the truth of Our
Lord's Deity and so I am glad that it is in the Creed. Similarly I believe in our
Lord's Bodily Resurrection."

In 1908 he became president of the Workers' Educational Association
(founded by Frederick Denison Maurice), and in 1918 joined the British
Labour Party, and worked actively for the implementing of its platform. He
also became vigorously involved in movements for Christian co-operation and
unity, in missions, in the British Council of Churches, in the World Council of
Churches, in the Church of South India (a merger of Anglican,
Congregationalist, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches into a single church,
with provisions for safeguarding what each group thought essential).

In 1916 he married Frances Anson, and the night before the wedding he stayed
up late to finish writing his first major theological treatise, Mens Creatrix (the
Creative Mind). Eight years later he published a companion volume, expanding
and clarifying the ideas of the first, called Christus Veritas (Christ the Truth).
In 1921 he was made Bishop of Manchester, a heavily industrial city. In 1926
Britain experienced what was known as the General Strike, in which most
workmen in all trades and industries went on strike, not against their particular
employers, but against the social and economic policies of the country as a
whole. In Manchester this meant primarily a coal stoppage. Temple worked
extensively to mediate between the parties, and helped to bring about a
settlement that both sides regarded as basically fair. He excelled, it would
seem, not as a scholar, but as a moderator, and above all as a teacher and
preacher.

Temple became Archbishop of Canterbury in 1942, when a German invasion
seemed likely. He worked for the relief of Jewish refugees from Naziism, and
publicly supported a negotiated peace, as opposed to the unconditional
surrender that the Allied leaders were demanding.

His gout worsened. His last public appearance was at a clergy retreat (a time
spent in a secluded place, with silence, prayer, meditation, reading, and
listening to sermons), where he was taken by ambulance and spoke standing on
his one good foot. He died on 26 October 1944. A number of his writings are
still in print. [James Kiefer]