OREMUS: 5 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Nov 4 17:00:01 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Blessed are you, O God.
the hope of the nations,
the builder of the city that is to come.
Your love made visible in Jesus Christ
brings home the lost,
restores the sinner
and gives dignity to the despised.
In his face your light shines out,
flooding lives with goodness and truth,
gathering into one in your kingdom
a divided and broken humanity.
Therefore with all who can give voice in your creation
we glorify your name,

Give the king your justice, O God,*
 and your righteousness to the king's son;
That he may rule your people righteously*
 and the poor with justice;
That the mountains may bring prosperity to the people,*
 and the little hills bring righteousness.
He shall defend the needy among the people;*
 he shall rescue the poor and crush the oppressor.
He shall live as long as the sun and moon endure,*
 from one generation to another.
He shall come down like rain upon the mown field,*
 like showers that water the earth.
In his time shall the righteous flourish;*
 there shall be abundance of peace
   till the moon shall be no more.
He shall rule from sea to sea,*
 and from the River to the ends of the earth.
His foes shall bow down before him,*
 and his enemies lick the dust.
The kings of Tarshish and of the isles shall pay tribute,*
 and the kings of Arabia and Saba offer gifts.
All kings shall bow down before him,*
 and all the nations do him service.
For he shall deliver the poor who cries out in distress,*
 and the oppressed who has no helper.
He shall have pity on the lowly and poor;*
 he shall preserve the lives of the needy.
He shall redeem their lives from oppression and violence,*
 and dear shall their blood be in his sight.
Long may he live,
   and may there be given to him gold from Arabia;*
 may prayer be made for him always,
   and may they bless him all the day long.
May there be abundance of grain on the earth,
   growing thick even on the hilltops;*
 may its fruit flourish like Lebanon,
   and its grain like grass upon the earth.
May his name remain for ever
   and be established as long as the sun endures;*
 may all the nations bless themselves in him
   and call him blessed.
Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel,*
 who alone does wondrous deeds!
And blessed be his glorious name for ever!*
 and may all the earth be filled with his glory.
   Amen. Amen.

A Song of the Spirit (Revelation 22:12-14,16,17)

'Behold, I am coming soon', says the Lord,
'and bringing my reward with me, .
to give to everyone according to their deeds.
'I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, .
the beginning and the end.'
Blessed are those who do God's commandments,
that they may have the right to the tree of life, .
and may enter into the city through the gates.
'I, Jesus, have sent my angel to you, .
with this testimony for all the churches.
'I am the root and the offspring of David, .
I am the bright morning star.'
'Come!' say the Spirit and the Bride; .
'Come!' let each hearer reply.
Come forward, you who are thirsty, .
let those who desire take the water of life as a gift.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 15:7-15]:

If there is among you anyone in need, a member of your community in any of your
towns within the land that the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hard-hearted or
tight-fisted towards your needy neighbour. You should rather open your hand,
willingly lending enough to meet the need, whatever it may be. Be careful that you do
not entertain a mean thought, thinking, 'The seventh year, the year of remission, is
near', and therefore view your needy neighbour with hostility and give nothing; your
neighbour might cry to the Lord against you, and you would incur guilt. Give liberally
and be ungrudging when you do so, for on this account the Lord your God will bless
you in all your work and in all that you undertake. Since there will never cease to be
some in need on the earth, I therefore command you, 'Open your hand to the poor and
needy neighbour in your land.'

If a member of your community, whether a Hebrew man or a Hebrew woman, is sold
to you and works for you for six years, in the seventh year you shall set that person
free. And when you send a male slave out from you a free person, you shall not send
him out empty-handed. Provide liberally out of your flock, your threshing-floor, and
your wine press, thus giving to him some of the bounty with which the Lord your God
has blessed you. Remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord
your God redeemed you; for this reason I lay this command upon you today.

HYMN
Words: Fred Kaan (c) Hope Publishing Co. Used with permission
Tune: Alleluia dulce carmen, Westminster Abbey, Picardy

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/f/f212.html

For the healing of the nations,
Lord, we pray with one accord,
for a just and equal sharing
of the things that earth affords.
To a life of love in action
help us rise and pledge our word.

Lead us forward into freedom,
from despair your world release,
that, redeemed from war and hatred,
all may come and go in peace.
Show us how through care and goodness
fear will die and hope increase.

All that kills abundant living,
let it from the earth be banned:
pride of status, race or schooling,
dogmas that obscure your plan.
In our common quest for justice
may we hallow brief life's span.

You, Creator God, have written
your great name on humankind;
for our growing in your likeness
bring the life of Christ to mind;
that by our response and service
earth its destiny may find.

SECOND READING [Matthew 27:45-56]:

>From noon on, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. And
about three o'clock Jesus cried with a loud voice, 'Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?' that is,
'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?' When some of the bystanders heard
it, they said, 'This man is calling for Elijah.' At once one of them ran and got a sponge,
filled it with sour wine, put it on a stick, and gave it to him to drink. But the others
said, 'Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to save him.' Then Jesus cried again
with a loud voice and breathed his last. At that moment the curtain of the temple was
torn in two, from top to bottom. The earth shook, and the rocks were split. The tombs
also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised.
After his resurrection they came out of the tombs and entered the holy city and
appeared to many. Now when the centurion and those with him, who were keeping
watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were terrified and
said, 'Truly this man was God's Son!'

Many women were also there, looking on from a distance; they had followed Jesus
from Galilee and had provided for him. Among them were Mary Magdalene, and Mary
the mother of James and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee.

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son:
Look with compassion on the whole human family; take away the arrogance and
hatred which infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us; unite us in bonds
of love; and work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on
earth; that, in your good time, all nations and races may serve you in harmony around
your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the God of peace sanctify us:
may God so strengthen our hearts in holiness
that we may be blameless before God
at the coming of our Lord Jesus with his saints. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons_,
material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2004. Used with permission. The closing prayer is 1 Thessalonians 5:23; 3:13

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The
Episcopal Church_.