OREMUS: 4 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Nov 3 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Blessed are you, O God.
the hope of the nations,
the builder of the city that is to come.
Your love made visible in Jesus Christ
brings home the lost,
restores the sinner
and gives dignity to the despised.
In his face your light shines out,
flooding lives with goodness and truth,
gathering into one in your kingdom
a divided and broken humanity.
Therefore with all who can give voice in your creation
we glorify your name,

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

Psalm 47

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram's-horn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

A Song of the New Jerusalem (Isaiah 60.1-3,11a,18,19,14b)

Arise, shine out, for your light has come,
the glory of the Lord is rising upon you.
Though night still covers the earth,
and darkness the peoples;
Above you the Holy One arises,
and above you God's glory appears.
The nations will come to your light,
and kings to your dawning brightness.
Your gates will lie open continually,
shut neither by day nor by night.
The sound of violence shall be heard no longer in your land,
or ruin and devastation within your borders.
You will call your walls, Salvation,
and your gates, Praise.
No more will the sun give you daylight,
nor moonlight shine upon you;
But the Lord will be your everlasting light,
your God will be your splendour.
For you shall be called the city of God,
the dwelling of the Holy One of Israel.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 25:1-9; 26:1-4]:

O Lord, you are my God;
   I will exalt you, I will praise your name;
for you have done wonderful things,
   plans formed of old, faithful and sure.
For you have made the city a heap,
   the fortified city a ruin;
the palace of aliens is a city no more,
   it will never be rebuilt.
Therefore strong peoples will glorify you;
   cities of ruthless nations will fear you.
For you have been a refuge to the poor,
   a refuge to the needy in their distress,
   a shelter from the rainstorm and a shade from the heat.
When the blast of the ruthless was like a winter rainstorm,
   the noise of aliens like heat in a dry place,
you subdued the heat with the shade of clouds;
   the song of the ruthless was stilled.

On this mountain the Lord of hosts will make for all peoples
   a feast of rich food, a feast of well-matured wines,
   of rich food filled with marrow, of well-matured wines strained clear.
And he will destroy on this mountain
   the shroud that is cast over all peoples,
   the sheet that is spread over all nations;
he will swallow up death for ever.
Then the Lord God will wipe away the tears from all faces,
   and the disgrace of his people he will take away from all the earth,
   for the Lord has spoken.
It will be said on that day,
   Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, so that he might save us.
   This is the Lord for whom we have waited;
   let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation.

On that day this song will be sung in the land of Judah:
We have a strong city;
   he sets up victory
   like walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates,
   so that the righteous nation that keeps faith
   may enter in.
Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace
   in peace because they trust in you.
Trust in the Lord for ever,
   for in the Lord God
   you have an everlasting rock.

HYMN
Words: Daniel Crane Roberts, 1876
Music: National Hymn
http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g230.html

God of our fathers, whose almighty hand
leads forth in beauty all the starry band
of shining worlds in splendor through the skies,
our grateful songs before thy throne arise.

Thy love divine hath led us in the past,
in this free land by thee our lot is cast;
be thou our ruler, guardian, guide, and stay,
thy word our law, thy paths our chosen way.

>From war's alarms, from deadly pestilence,
be thy strong arm our ever sure defense;
thy true religion in our hearts increase,
thy bounteous goodness nourish us in peace.

Refresh thy people on their toilsome way,
lead us from night to never-ending day;
fill all our lives with love and grace divine,
and glory, laud, and praise be ever thine.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 11:8-16; 12:28-end]:

 By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to set out for a place that he was to
receive as an inheritance; and he set out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he
stayed for a time in the land he had been promised, as in a foreign land, living in tents,
as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he looked
forward to the city that has foundations, whose architect and builder is God. By faith
he received power of procreation, even though he was too old and Sarah herself was
barren because he considered him faithful who had promised. Therefore from one
person, and this one as good as dead, descendants were born, 'as many as the stars of
heaven and as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore.'

All of these died in faith without having received the promises, but from a distance
they saw and greeted them. They confessed that they were strangers and foreigners on
the earth, for people who speak in this way make it clear that they are seeking a
homeland. If they had been thinking of the land that they had left behind, they would
have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a
heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; indeed, he has
prepared a city for them. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be
shaken, let us give thanks, by which we offer to God an acceptable worship with
reverence and awe; for indeed our God is a consuming fire.

As we listen to the world's concerns,
hear the cry of the oppressed,
and learn of new discoveries,
give us knowledge,
teach us to respond with maturity,
and give us courage to act with integrity.
As citizens, we acknowledge the Spirit's work in human government
for the welfare of the people,
for justice among the poor,
for mercy toward the prisoner,
against inhuman oppression of humanity.
Help us to obey you above all rulers;
fill us with the patience of Christ
as we wait upon the Spirit.
We pray for the fruit of the Spirit of Christ
who works for peace on earth,
commands us to love our enemies,
and calls for patience among the nations.
We give thanks for your work among governments,
seeking to resolve disputes by means other than war,
placing human kindness above national pride,
replacing the curse of war with international self-control.
We hear the Spirit's call to love one another,
opposing discrimination of race or sex,
inviting us to accept one another,
and to share at every level
in work and play, in church and state,
in marriage and family, and so to fulfill the love of Christ.
Enable us to accept that call and be agents of renewal in our work
through our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Almighty God, to whom we must account for all our powers and privileges: Guide the
people of the United States in the election of officials and representatives; that, by
faithful administration and wise laws, the rights of all may be protected and our nation
be enabled to fulfill your purposes; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

May the God of peace sanctify us:
may God so strengthen our hearts in holiness
that we may be blameless before God
at the coming of our Lord Jesus with his saints. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons_,
material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2004. Used with permission. The closing prayer is 1 Thessalonians 5:23; 3:13

The intercession is reprinted by permission from The Worship Sourcebook,   2004, CRC
Publications. The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the
Use of The Episcopal Church_.