OREMUS: 3 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Nov 2 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Monday, November 3, 2008
All Souls (transferred)

Rest eternal grant unto them, O Lord,
and let light perpetual shine upon them.

Blessed are you, O God,
for your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
who desired that his Virgin Mother and all the saints
should be sharers with him in his passion,
so that where he has gone before,
as head of the mystical body,
there also the members, given life by him,
should follow in his glory.
Thus we have the sure and joyful hope
of the inheritance of eternal life
given to us by your Son.

Lord, you have been our refuge*
 from one generation to another.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
   or the land and the earth were born,*
 from age to age you are God.
You turn us back to the dust and say,*
 'Go back, O child of earth.'
For a thousand years in your sight
   are like yesterday when it is past*
 and like a watch in the night.
You sweep us away like a dream;*
 we fade away suddenly like the grass.
In the morning it is green and flourishes;*
 in the evening it is dried up and withered.
For we consume away in your displeasure;*
 we are afraid because of your wrathful indignation.
Our iniquities you have set before you,*
 and our secret sins in the light of your countenance.
When you are angry, all our days are gone;*
 we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
The span of our life is seventy years,
   perhaps in strength even eighty;*
 yet the sum of them is but labour and sorrow,
   for they pass away quickly and we are gone.
Who regards the power of your wrath?*
 who rightly fears your indignation?
So teach us to number our days*
 that we may apply our hearts to wisdom.
Return, O Lord; how long will you tarry?*
 be gracious to your servants.
Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning;*
 so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life.
Make us glad by the measure of the days
   that you afflicted us*
 and the years in which we suffered adversity.
Show your servants your works*
 and your splendour to their children.
May the graciousness of the Lord our God be upon us;*
 prosper the work of our hands;
   prosper our handiwork.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2:2-7,9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress
and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.

You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me,
all your waves and billows passed over me.

Then I said, I am driven away from your sight;
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?

The waters closed in over me,
the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.

I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever,
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.

As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God,
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.

With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay,
deliverance belongs to the Lord!

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 44:1-15]:

Let us now sing the praises of famous men,
   our ancestors in their generations.
The Lord apportioned to them great glory,
   his majesty from the beginning.
There were those who ruled in their kingdoms,
   and made a name for themselves by their valour;
those who gave counsel because they were intelligent;
   those who spoke in prophetic oracles;
those who led the people by their counsels
   and by their knowledge of the people's lore;
   they were wise in their words of instruction;
those who composed musical tunes,
   or put verses in writing;
rich men endowed with resources,
   living peacefully in their homes
all these were honoured in their generations,
   and were the pride of their times.
Some of them have left behind a name,
   so that others declare their praise.
But of others there is no memory;
   they have perished as though they had never existed;
they have become as though they had never been born,
   they and their children after them.
But these also were godly men,
   whose righteous deeds have not been forgotten;
their wealth will remain with their descendants,
   and their inheritance with their children's children.
Their descendants stand by the covenants;
   their children also, for their sake.
Their offspring will continue for ever,
   and their glory will never be blotted out.
Their bodies are buried in peace,
   but their name lives on generation after generation.
The assembly declares their wisdom,
   and the congregation proclaims their praise.

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton
Tune: Old 112th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g235.html

God of the living, in whose eyes
unveiled thy whole creation lies,
all souls are thine; we must not say
that those are dead who pass away,
from this our world of flesh set free;
we know them living unto thee.

Released from earthly toil and strife,
with thee is hidden still their life;
thine are their thoughts, their works, their powers,
all thine, and yet most truly ours;
for well we know, where'er they be,
our dead are living unto thee.

Not spilled like water on the ground,
not wrapped in dreamless sleep profound,
not wandering in unknown despair
beyond thy voice, thine arm, thy care;
not left to lie like fallen tree;
not dead, but living unto thee.

Thy word is true, thy will is just;
to thee we leave them, Lord, in trust;
and bless thee for the love which gave
thy Son to fill a human grave,
that none might fear that world to see
where all are living unto thee.

O Breather into man of breath,
O Holder of the keys of death,
O Giver of the life within,
save us from death, the death of sin;
that body, soul and spirit be
for ever living unto thee.

SECOND READING [Hebrews 11:32-12:2]:

And what more should I say? For time would fail me to tell of Gideon, Barak,
Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets  who through faith
conquered kingdoms, administered justice, obtained promises, shut the mouths of
lions, quenched raging fire, escaped the edge of the sword, won strength out of
weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women received their
dead by resurrection. Others were tortured, refusing to accept release, in order to
obtain a better resurrection. Others suffered mocking and flogging, and even chains
and imprisonment. They were stoned to death, they were sawn in two, they were killed
by the sword; they went about in skins of sheep and goats, destitute, persecuted,
tormented  of whom the world was not worthy. They wandered in deserts and
mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.

Yet all these, though they were commended for their faith, did not receive what was
promised, since God had provided something better so that they would not, without
us, be made perfect.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay
aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance
the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith,
who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its
shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.

Eternal God,
we acknowledge the uncertainty of our life on earth.
We are given a mere handful of days,
and our span of life seems nothing in your sight.
All flesh is as grass;
and all its beauty is like the flower of the field.
The grass withers, the flower fades;
but your word will stand forever.
In this our hope,
for you are our God.
Even in the valley of the shadow of death,
you are with us.

O Lord, let us know our end
and the number of our days,
that we may learn how fleeting life is.
Turn your ear to our cry, and hear our prayer.
Do not be silent at our tears,
for we live as strangers before you,
wandering pilgrims as all our ancestors were.
But you are the same
and your years shall have no end. Amen.

Eternal God, our maker and redeemer,
grant us, with all the faithful departed,
the sure benefits of your Son's saving passion
and glorious resurrection
that, in the last day,
when you gather up all things in Christ,
we may with them enjoy the fullness of your promises;

we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor human heart conceived,
God has prepared for those who love him.

We remember those who have died, especially...

God of all consolation,
in your unending love and mercy
you turn the darkness of death
into the dawn of new life.

Show compassion to your people in their sorrow.
Be our refuge and our strength
to lift us from the darkness of grief
to the peace and light of your presence.

Your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
by dying for us, conquered death
and by rising again, restored life.

May we then go forward eagerly to meet him,
and after our life on earth
be reunited with our brothers and sisters
where every tear will be wiped away.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Kontakion
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g026.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g
/g026.html

Give rest, O Christ, to thy servants with thy saints:
where sorrow and pain are no more;
neither sighing but life everlasting.
Thou only art immortal, the creator and maker of man:
and we are mortal formed from the dust of the earth,
and unto earth shall we return:
for so thou didst ordain,
when thou created me saying:
"Dust thou art und unto dust shalt thou return."
All we go down to the dust;
and weeping o'er the grace we make our song:
Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia.

May God give to us and all whom we love
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

May the souls of the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

The first two prayers before the Lord's Prayer are from _Book of
Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The commemoration after the Lord's Prayer and the penultimate sentence are
from _The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central

The Kontakion was translated by W. J. Birkbeck (1869-1916).