OREMUS: 2 November 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Nov 1 17:00:00 GMT 2008

 <!--

OREMUS for Sunday, November 2, 2008
The Twenty-Fifth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, O God.
the hope of the nations,
the builder of the city that is to come.
Your love made visible in Jesus Christ
brings home the lost,
restores the sinner
and gives dignity to the despised.
In his face your light shines out,
flooding lives with goodness and truth,
gathering into one in your kingdom
a divided and broken humanity.
Therefore with all who can give voice in your creation
we glorify your name,

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of Divine Love (1 Corinthians 13.4-13)

Love is patient and kind,
love is not jealous or boastful,
it is not arrogant or rude.
Love does not insist on its own way,
it is not angry or resentful.
It does not rejoice in wrongdoing
but rejoices in the truth.
Love bears all things and believes all things;
love hopes all things and endures all things.
Love will never come to an end,
but prophecy will vanish,
tongues cease and knowledge pass away.
Now we know only in part
and we prophesy only in part,
But when the perfect comes,
the partial shall pass away.
When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
But when I became mature,
I put an end to childish ways.
For now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror,
but then we will see face to face.
Now I know only in part;
then I shall know fully,
even as I have been fully known.
There are three things that last for ever,
faith, hope and love,
but the greatest of these is love.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 33:1-3, 26-29]:

This is the blessing with which Moses, the man of God, blessed the Israelites before his
death. He said:
The Lord came from Sinai,
   and dawned from Seir upon us;
   he shone forth from Mount Paran.
With him were myriads of holy ones;
   at his right, a host of his own.
Indeed, O favourite among peoples,
   all his holy ones were in your charge;
they marched at your heels,
   accepted direction from you.
There is none like God, O Jeshurun,
   who rides through the heavens to your help,
   majestic through the skies.
He subdues the ancient gods,
   shatters the forces of old;
he drove out the enemy before you,
   and said, 'Destroy!'
So Israel lives in safety,
   untroubled is Jacob's abode
in a land of grain and wine,
   where the heavens drop down dew.
Happy are you, O Israel! Who is like you,
   a people saved by the Lord,
the shield of your help,
   and the sword of your triumph!
Your enemies shall come fawning to you,
   and you shall tread on their backs.

HYMN
Words: Johann Franck (1618-1677) translated Catherine Winkworth (1827-1898)
Tune: Jesu meine Freude

Jesu, priceless treasure,
Source of purest pleasure,
Truest friend to me;
Ah! How long I've panted,
And my heart hath fainted,
Thirsting, Lord, for thee!
Thine I am, O spotless Lamb,
I will suffer nought to hide thee,
Nought I ask beside thee.

In thine arm I rest me;
Foes who would molest me
Cannot reach me here;
Though the earth be shaking,
Every heart be quaking,
Jesus calms my fear;
Sin and hell in conflict fell
With their bitter storms assail me;
Jesus will not fail me.

Hence, all fears and sadness!
For the Lord of gladness,
Jesus enters in;
Those who love the Father,
Though the storms may gather
Still have peace within;
Yea, what'er I here must bear,
Still in thee lies purest pleasure,
Jesu, priceless treasure!

SECOND READING [Jude 1-4, 17-25]:

Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James,

To those who are called, who are beloved in God the Father and kept safe for Jesus
Christ:

May mercy, peace, and love be yours in abundance.

Beloved, while eagerly preparing to write to you about the salvation we share, I find it
necessary to write and appeal to you to contend for the faith that was once for all
entrusted to the saints. For certain intruders have stolen in among you, people who long
ago were designated for this condemnation as ungodly, who pervert the grace of our
God into licentiousness and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

But you, beloved, must remember the predictions of the apostles of our Lord Jesus
Christ; for they said to you, 'In the last time there will be scoffers, indulging their own
ungodly lusts.' It is these worldly people, devoid of the Spirit, who are causing divisions.
But you, beloved, build yourselves up on your most holy faith; pray in the Holy Spirit;
keep yourselves in the love of God; look forward to the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ
that leads to eternal life. And have mercy on some who are wavering; save others by
snatching them out of the fire; and have mercy on still others with fear, hating even the
tunic defiled by their bodies.

Now to him who is able to keep you from falling, and to make you stand without
blemish in the presence of his glory with rejoicing, to the only God our Saviour, through
Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, power, and authority, before all time and now
and for ever. Amen.

The Lord is our shepherd and our king. Let us bring our cares and concerns to him.

For all Christians, called to minister in some of the world's most dangerous places; that
they will have courage to follow their calling, and know the companionship of the Lord
in the trials that come with their work. Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

For people of all faiths; that we will seek to understand each other, aim to like each
other and cease to see each other as the enemy. Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

For people worried about financial difficulties, as the sink into recession looks
increasingly likely; that we will have wisdom and discernment to make sensible choices,
and the presence of mind to stay calm in the midst of media hype. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

For the people of America as they approach the presidential election; let us pray that the
people will choose a wise and gifted leader in whom the world can place confidence and
trust. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father, trusting in your great love we bring our prayers to you through your
Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Creator God,
you have filled the world with beauty:
Open our eyes to behold your gracious hand in all your works;
that, rejoicing in your whole creation,
we may learn to serve you with gladness;
for the sake of him by whom all things were made,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

May the God of peace sanctify us:
may God so strengthen our hearts in holiness
that we may be blameless before God
at the coming of our Lord Jesus with his saints. Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from _Common Worship: Times and Seasons_,
material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2004. Used with permission. The closing prayer is 1 Thessalonians 5:23; 3:13

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers

The collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster /
John Knox Press.