OREMUS: 1 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 31 17:00:49 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, June 1, 2008
The Third Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, O Lord,
your love reaches to the heavens,
and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like teh strong mountains,
your justice like the great deep;
you save your entire creation, O Lord,
in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

A Song of God's Herald (Isaiah 40. 9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.
Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'
See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.
Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.
God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;
He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 20:1-7,12-42]:

David fled from Naioth in Ramah. He came before Jonathan and said, 'What have I
done? What is my guilt? And what is my sin against your father that he is trying to
take my life?' He said to him, 'Perish the thought! You shall not die. My father does
nothing either great or small without disclosing it to me; and why should my father
hide this from me? Never!' But David also swore, 'Your father knows well that you
like me; and he thinks, "Do not let Jonathan know this, or he will be grieved." But
truly, as the Lord lives and as you yourself live, there is but a step between me and
death.' Then Jonathan said to David, 'Whatever you say, I will do for you.' David said
to Jonathan, 'Tomorrow is the new moon, and I should not fail to sit with the king at
the meal; but let me go, so that I may hide in the field until the third evening. If your
father misses me at all, then say, "David earnestly asked leave of me to run to
Bethlehem his city; for there is a yearly sacrifice there for all the family." If he says,
"Good!" it will be well with your servant; but if he is angry, then know that evil has
been determined by him.
Jonathan said to David, 'By the Lord, the God of Israel! When I have sounded out my
father, about this time tomorrow, or on the third day, if he is well disposed towards
David, shall I not then send and disclose it to you? But if my father intends to do you
harm, the Lord do so to Jonathan, and more also, if I do not disclose it to you, and
send you away, so that you may go in safety. May the Lord be with you, as he has
been with my father. If I am still alive, show me the faithful love of the Lord; but if I
die, never cut off your faithful love from my house, even if the Lord were to cut off
every one of the enemies of David from the face of the earth.' Thus Jonathan made a
covenant with the house of David, saying, 'May the Lord seek out the enemies of
David.' Jonathan made David swear again by his love for him; for he loved him as he
loved his own life.
Jonathan said to him, 'Tomorrow is the new moon; you will be missed, because your
place will be empty. On the day after tomorrow, you shall go a long way down; go to
the place where you hid yourself earlier, and remain beside the stone there. I will shoot
three arrows to the side of it, as though I shot at a mark. Then I will send the boy,
saying, "Go, find the arrows." If I say to the boy, "Look, the arrows are on this side of
you, collect them", then you are to come, for, as the Lord lives, it is safe for you and
there is no danger. But if I say to the young man, "Look, the arrows are beyond you",
then go; for the Lord has sent you away. As for the matter about which you and I have
spoken, the Lord is witness between you and me for ever.'
So David hid himself in the field. When the new moon came, the king sat at the feast
to eat. The king sat upon his seat, as at other times, upon the seat by the wall.
Jonathan stood, while Abner sat by Saul's side; but David's place was empty.
Saul did not say anything that day; for he thought, 'Something has befallen him; he is
not clean, surely he is not clean.' But on the second day, the day after the new moon,
David's place was empty. And Saul said to his son Jonathan, 'Why has the son of
Jesse not come to the feast, either yesterday or today?' Jonathan answered Saul,
'David earnestly asked leave of me to go to Bethlehem; he said, "Let me go; for our
family is holding a sacrifice in the city, and my brother has commanded me to be there.
So now, if I have found favour in your sight, let me get away, and see my brothers."
For this reason he has not come to the king's table.'
Then Saul's anger was kindled against Jonathan. He said to him, 'You son of a
perverse, rebellious woman! Do I not know that you have chosen the son of Jesse to
your own shame, and to the shame of your mother's nakedness? For as long as the son
of Jesse lives upon the earth, neither you nor your kingdom shall be established. Now
send and bring him to me, for he shall surely die.' Then Jonathan answered his father
Saul, 'Why should he be put to death? What has he done?' But Saul threw his spear at
him to strike him; so Jonathan knew that it was the decision of his father to put David
to death. Jonathan rose from the table in fierce anger and ate no food on the second
day of the month, for he was grieved for David, and because his father had disgraced
him.
In the morning Jonathan went out into the field to the appointment with David, and
with him was a little boy. He said to the boy, 'Run and find the arrows that I shoot.'
As the boy ran, he shot an arrow beyond him. When the boy came to the place where
Jonathan's arrow had fallen, Jonathan called after the boy and said, 'Is the arrow not
beyond you?' Jonathan called after the boy, 'Hurry, be quick, do not linger.' So
Jonathan's boy gathered up the arrows and came to his master. But the boy knew
nothing; only Jonathan and David knew the arrangement. Jonathan gave his weapons
to the boy and said to him, 'Go and carry them to the city.' As soon as the boy had
gone, David rose from beside the stone heap and prostrated himself with his face to
the ground. He bowed three times, and they kissed each other, and wept with each
other; David wept the more. Then Jonathan said to David, 'Go in peace, since both of
us have sworn in the name of the Lord, saying, "The Lord shall be between me and
you, and between my descendants and your descendants, for ever." ' He got up and
left; and Jonathan went into the city.

HYMN
Words: John Fawcett (1740-1817)
Tune: Franconia, Newland, Potsdam (SM)

Blest be the tie that binds
our hearts in Jesu's love;
the fellowship of Christian minds
is like to that above.

Before our Father's throne
we pour our fervent prayers:
our fears, our hopes, our aims are one,
our comforts and our cares.

We share our mutual woes,
our mutual burdens bear,
and often for each other flows
the sympathizing tear.

When for a while we part,
one thought shall not be vain,
that we shall still be joined in heart,
until we meet again.

One glorious hope revives
our courage by the way:
that each in expectation lives
of that tremendous day-

When from all toil and pain
and sin we shall be free,
and perfect love and friendship reign
through all eternity.

SECOND READING [1 Peter 1:17-end]:

If you invoke as Father the one who judges all people impartially according to their
deeds, live in reverent fear during the time of your exile. You know that you were
ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your ancestors, not with perishable things
like silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without
defect or blemish. He was destined before the foundation of the world, but was revealed
at the end of the ages for your sake. Through him you have come to trust in God, who
raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are set on
God.
Now that you have purified your souls by your obedience to the truth so that you have
genuine mutual love, love one another deeply from the heart. You have been born anew,
not of perishable but of imperishable seed, through the living and enduring word of God.
For
'All flesh is like grass
   and all its glory like the flower of grass.
The grass withers,
   and the flower falls,
but the word of the Lord endures for ever.'
That word is the good news that was announced to you.

For people on low incomes. In these difficult economic times, let us pray for those who
are struggling to make ends meet; may they have faith in God and seek first his kingdom
and his righteousness. May they know that God will provide them with everything they
need. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

For the people of New York after the collapse of a construction crane during rush hour
on Friday; let us pray for healing where there is injury, consolation where there is death
and counselling where there is distress. Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

For those families in Somerset who have suffered during the recent floods; that
disruption to their lives will be minimal, and that order will be restored as soon as
possible. Let us pray for the communities there, that they will pull together and minister
to one another after this frightening experience. Lord, in your mercy Lord, in your
mercy, hear our prayer.

For those who work to tackle global poverty, challenge conflict and unite the world's
religions may quickly bring real change and lasting benefit to our changing world. Lord,
in your mercy, hear our prayer.

For all those who are currently experiencing real suffering because of rising oil prices,
particularly those working in the fishing industry around the world; that their protests
will bring to light the devastating effects that political and economic greed can have on
human life, and that through the work of the trade unions positive agreements can be
reached through peaceful means. Lord, in your mercy, hear our
prayer.

Lord our God,
you have given us the light of Christ to banish darkness
and to lead us in the way of your commandments:
make it ever our delight to fulfil your will,
and truly to love one another;

May we feast at your abundant table, O Lord,
and drink from the river of your delights. Amen.

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from Psalm 36.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers