OREMUS: 30 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu May 29 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, May 30, 2008

you are the origin of all that exists,
yours is the life in everything that breathes.
You clothe the heavens with glory
and fill the earth with your praise.
You formed us, men and women,
to embody your likeness.

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sick-bed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my
best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

Psalm 54

Save me, O God, by your name;*
 in your might, defend my cause.
Hear my prayer, O God;*
 give ear to the words of my mouth.
For the arrogant have risen up against me,
   and the ruthless have sought my life,*
 those who have no regard for God.
Behold, God is my helper;*
 it is the Lord who sustains my life.
Render evil to those who spy on me;*
 in your faithfulness, destroy them.
I will offer you a freewill sacrifice*
 and praise your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For you have rescued me from every trouble,*
 and my eye has seen the ruin of my foes.

A Song of Lamentation (Lamentations 1.12,16a,b; 3.19,21-26,31-33)

Is it nothing to you, all you who pass by?
Look and see if there is any sorrow like my sorrow,
Which was brought upon me,
which the Lord inflicted
on the day of his fierce anger.
For these things I weep;
my eyes flow with tears;
for a comforter is far from me,
one to revive my courage.
Remember my affliction and my bitterness,
the wormwood and the gall!
But this I call to mind,
and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases,
his mercies never come to an end;
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul,
'therefore I will hope in him.'
The Lord is good to those who wait for him,
to the soul that seeks him.
It is good that we should wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.
For the Lord will not reject for ever;
though he causes grief, he will have compassion,
According to the abundance of his steadfast love;
for he does not willingly afflict or grieve anyone.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Zechariah 8:1-13]:

The word of the Lord of hosts came to me, saying: Thus says the Lord of hosts: I am
jealous for Zion with great jealousy, and I am jealous for her with great wrath. Thus
says the Lord: I will return to Zion, and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem; Jerusalem
shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the Lord of hosts shall be called
the holy mountain. Thus says the Lord of hosts: Old men and old women shall again
sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each with staff in hand because of their great age. And
the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls playing in its streets. Thus says the
Lord of hosts: Even though it seems impossible to the remnant of this people in these
days, should it also seem impossible to me, says the Lord of hosts? Thus says the Lord
of hosts: I will save my people from the east country and from the west country; and I
will bring them to live in Jerusalem. They shall be my people and I will be their God, in
faithfulness and in righteousness.
Thus says the Lord of hosts: Let your hands be strong you that have recently been
hearing these words from the mouths of the prophets who were present when the
foundation was laid for the rebuilding of the temple, the house of the Lord of hosts.
For before those days there were no wages for people or for animals, nor was there
any safety from the foe for those who went out or came in, and I set them all against
one another. But now I will not deal with the remnant of this people as in the former
days, says the Lord of hosts. For there shall be a sowing of peace; the vine shall yield
its fruit, the ground shall give its produce, and the skies shall give their dew; and I will
cause the remnant of this people to possess all these things. Just as you have been a
cursing among the nations, O house of Judah and house of Israel, so I will save you
and you shall be a blessing. Do not be afraid, but let your hands be strong.

HYMN
Words: J.H.B. Masterman (1867-1933)
Tune: Old 124th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

Grant us your peace, for you alone can bend
our faltering purpose to a nobler end;
you Lord alone can teach our hearts to know
the fellowship that through your love can grow.

Grant us your peace, for we have filled the years
with greed and envy and with foolish fears,
with squandered treasures and ignoble gain,
and fruitless harvests that we reap in vain.

Grant us your peace, till all our strife shall seem
the hateful memory of some evil dream;
till that new song ring out that shall not cease,
'In heaven your glory and on earth your peace!'

SECOND READING [Acts 10:24-33]:

The following day Peter and those who followed him came to Caesarea. Cornelius was
expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. On Peter's
arrival Cornelius met him, and falling at his feet, worshipped him. But Peter made him
get up, saying, 'Stand up; I am only a mortal.' And as he talked with him, he went in
and found that many had assembled; and he said to them, 'You yourselves know that it
is unlawful for a Jew to associate with or to visit a Gentile; but God has shown me that
I should not call anyone profane or unclean. So when I was sent for, I came without
objection. Now may I ask why you sent for me?'
Cornelius replied, 'Four days ago at this very hour, at three o'clock, I was praying in
my house when suddenly a man in dazzling clothes stood before me. He said,
"Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before
God. Send therefore to Joppa and ask for Simon, who is called Peter; he is staying in
the home of Simon, a tanner, by the sea." Therefore I sent for you immediately, and
you have been kind enough to come. So now all of us are here in the presence of God
to listen to all that the Lord has commanded you to say.'

Gracious God and Father,
you have given your Son for us all,
that his death might be our life
and his affliction our peace.

We pray for the suffering...
the hungry....
the refugees....
the prisoners....
the persecuted....
all who bring sin and suffering to others....
ministries of care and relief....
the Church in all its work, especially

Gracious God and Father, we give you thanks

for the cross of Christ at the heart of creation,
the presence of Christ in our weakness and strength,
the power of Christ to transform our suffering....

for all ministries of healing,
all agencies of relief,
all that sets men free from pain, fear and distress....

for the assurance that your mercy knows no limit,
and for the privilege of sharing
your work of renewal through prayer.

In darkness and in light,
in trouble and in joy,
help us to trust your love, to serve your purpose
and to praise your name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of mercy,
hear our prayer and come to our aid,
that from the rising of the sun to its setting
we may offer you a pure sacrifice of praise,

May we work with you, Lord, as builders of your world
in the power of your Spirit,

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from a preface
by Alan Griffiths.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com