OREMUS: 29 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 28 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, May 29, 2008

you are the origin of all that exists,
yours is the life in everything that breathes.
You clothe the heavens with glory
and fill the earth with your praise.
You formed us, men and women,
to embody your likeness.

I said, 'I will keep watch upon my ways,*
 so that I do not offend with my tongue.
'I will put a muzzle on my mouth*
 while the wicked are in my presence.'
So I held my tongue and said nothing;*
 I refrained from rash words;
   but my pain became unbearable.
My heart was hot within me;
   while I pondered, the fire burst into flame;*
 I spoke out with my tongue:
Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days,*
 so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days,
   and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight;*
 truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow
   and in vain we are in turmoil;*
 we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope?*
 O Lord, my hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions*
 and do not make me the taunt of the fool.
I fell silent and did not open my mouth,*
 for surely it was you that did it.
Take your affliction from me;*
 I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
With rebukes for sin you punish us;
   like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us;*
 truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;*
 hold not your peace at my tears.
For I am but a sojourner with you,*
 a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again,*
 before I go my way and am no more.

A Song of God's Love (1 John 4.7-11,12b)

Beloved, let us love one another,
for love is of God;
everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
Whoever does not love does not know God,
for God is love.
In this the love of God was revealed among us,
that God sent his only Son into the world,
so that we might live through him.
In this is love,
not that we loved God but that he loved us,
and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins.
Beloved, since God loved us so much,
we ought also to love one another.
For if we love one another, God abides in us,
and God's love will be perfected in us.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Zechariah 7:8-end]:

The word of the Lord came to Zechariah, saying: Thus says the Lord of hosts: Render
true judgements, show kindness and mercy to one another; do not oppress the widow,
the orphan, the alien, or the poor; and do not devise evil in your hearts against one
another. But they refused to listen, and turned a stubborn shoulder, and stopped their
ears in order not to hear. They made their hearts adamant in order not to hear the law
and the words that the Lord of hosts had sent by his spirit through the former
prophets. Therefore great wrath came from the Lord of hosts. Just as, when I called,
they would not hear, so, when they called, I would not hear, says the Lord of hosts,
and I scattered them with a whirlwind among all the nations that they had not known.
Thus the land they left was desolate, so that no one went to and fro, and a pleasant
land was made desolate.

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c) 1962, Renewed. 1990 by Hope Publishing Co.,
Carol Stream, IL  60188.  All rights reserved.  Used by permission.
Tune: Woodlands

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t036.html

Tell out, my soul, the greatness of the Lord!
Unnumbered blessings give my spirit voice;
tender to me the promise of his word;
in God my Savior shall my heart rejoice.

Tell out, my soul, the greatness of his Name!
Make known his might, the deeds his arm has done;
his mercy sure, from age to age to same;
his holy Name--the Lord, the Mighty One.

Tell out, my soul, the greatness of his might!
Powers and dominions lay their glory by.
Proud hearts and stubborn wills are put to flight,
the hungry fed, the humble lifted high.

Tell out, my soul, the glories of his word!
Firm is his promise, and his mercy sure.
Tell out, my soul, the greatness of the Lord
to children's children and for evermore!

SECOND READING [Acts 10:1-23]:

In Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of the Italian Cohort, as it
was called. He was a devout man who feared God with all his household; he gave alms
generously to the people and prayed constantly to God. One afternoon at about three
o'clock he had a vision in which he clearly saw an angel of God coming in and saying
to him, 'Cornelius.' He stared at him in terror and said, 'What is it, Lord?' He
answered, 'Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God.
Now send men to Joppa for a certain Simon who is called Peter; he is lodging with
Simon, a tanner, whose house is by the seaside.' When the angel who spoke to him
had left, he called two of his slaves and a devout soldier from the ranks of those who
served him, and after telling them everything, he sent them to Joppa.
About noon the next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter
went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat; and
while it was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw the heaven opened and
something like a large sheet coming down, being lowered to the ground by its four
corners. In it were all kinds of four-footed creatures and reptiles and birds of the air.
Then he heard a voice saying, 'Get up, Peter; kill and eat.' But Peter said, 'By no
means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is profane or unclean.' The voice
said to him again, a second time, 'What God has made clean, you must not call
profane.' This happened three times, and the thing was suddenly taken up to
heaven.
Now while Peter was greatly puzzled about what to make of the vision that he had
seen, suddenly the men sent by Cornelius appeared. They were asking for Simon's
house and were standing by the gate. They called out to ask whether Simon, who was
called Peter, was staying there. While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the
Spirit said to him, 'Look, three men are searching for you. Now get up, go down, and
go with them without hesitation; for I have sent them.' So Peter went down to the
men and said, 'I am the one you are looking for; what is the reason for your coming?'
They answered, 'Cornelius, a centurion, an upright and God-fearing man, who is well
spoken of by the whole Jewish nation, was directed by a holy angel to send for you to
come to his house and to hear what you have to say.' So Peter invited them in and
gave them lodging.
The next day he got up and went with them, and some of the believers from Joppa
accompanied him.

Eternal God,
you have raised Jesus Christ from the dead
and exalted him to your right hand in glory,
and through him called your Church into being,
that your people might know you,
and that they might make your name known.

We pray for the church
the Church universal, and local, especially....
the unity of the Church....
the ministries of the Church....
the mission of the Church....
the renewal of the Church....
all Christians in this place....

Eternal God, we give you thanks

for the apostolic gospel committed to your Church,
the continuing presence and power of your Spirit,
the ministry of Word, Sacrament and Prayer....

for the divine mission in which we are called to share,
the will to unity and its fruit in common action,
the faithful witness of those who are true to Christ....

for all works of compassion
and every service that proclaims your love.

In peace and unity
may your people offer the unfailing sacrifice of praise,
and make your glory known;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God our hope,
when we are troubled by fear and uncertainty,
teach us to commit our lives to your care
and to go forward on our pilgrimage,
trusting in the knowledge of your love and forgiveness;
through Jesus Christ our Redeemer. Amen.

May we work with you, Lord, as builders of your world
in the power of your Spirit,

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from a preface
by Alan Griffiths.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com