OREMUS: 28 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 27 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, May 28, 2008

you are the origin of all that exists,
yours is the life in everything that breathes.
You clothe the heavens with glory
and fill the earth with your praise.
You formed us, men and women,
to embody your likeness.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42.5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;
Who gives breath to the people upon it
and spirit to those who walk in it,
'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;
'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind,
'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.
'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Ezra 6:13-18]:

Then, according to the word sent by King Darius, Tattenai, the governor of the
province Beyond the River, Shethar-bozenai, and their associates did with all diligence
what King Darius had ordered. So the elders of the Jews built and prospered, through
the prophesying of the prophet Haggai and Zechariah son of Iddo. They finished their
building by command of the God of Israel and by decree of Cyrus, Darius, and King
Artaxerxes of Persia; and this house was finished on the third day of the month of
Adar, in the sixth year of the reign of King Darius.
The people of Israel, the priests and the Levites, and the rest of the returned exiles,
celebrated the dedication of this house of God with joy. They offered at the dedication
of this house of God one hundred bulls, two hundred rams, four hundred lambs, and as
a sin-offering for all Israel twelve male goats, according to the number of the tribes of
Israel. Then they set the priests in their divisions and the Levites in their courses for
the service of God at Jerusalem, as it is written in the book of Moses.

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892)
Tune: Herr Jesu Christ, Llandaf, Llangollen (LM)

All things are thine; no gift have we,
Lord of all gifts, to offer thee;
And hence with grateful hearts to-day
Thine own before thy feet we lay.

Thy will was in the builders' thought;
Thy hand unseen amidst us wrought;
Through mortal motive, scheme and plan,
Thy wise eternal purpose ran.

In weakness and in want we call
On thee for whom the heavens are small;
Thy glory is thy children's good;
Thy joy, thy tender fatherhood.

O Father, deign these walls to bless;
Fill with thy love their emptiness;
And let their door a gateway be
To lead us from ourselves to thee.

SECOND READING [Acts 9:32-end]:

Now as Peter went here and there among all the believers, he came down also to the
saints living in Lydda. There he found a man named Aeneas, who had been bedridden for
eight years, for he was paralysed. Peter said to him, 'Aeneas, Jesus Christ heals you; get
up and make your bed!' And immediately he got up. And all the residents of Lydda and
Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord.
Now in Joppa there was a disciple whose name was Tabitha, which in Greek is Dorcas.
She was devoted to good works and acts of charity. At that time she became ill and
died. When they had washed her, they laid her in a room upstairs. Since Lydda was near
Joppa, the disciples, who heard that Peter was there, sent two men to him with the
request, 'Please come to us without delay.' So Peter got up and went with them; and
when he arrived, they took him to the room upstairs. All the widows stood beside him,
weeping and showing tunics and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was
with them. Peter put all of them outside, and then he knelt down and prayed. He turned
to the body and said, 'Tabitha, get up.' Then she opened her eyes, and seeing Peter, she
sat up. He gave her his hand and helped her up. Then calling the saints and widows, he
showed her to be alive. This became known throughout Joppa, and many believed in the
Lord. Meanwhile he stayed in Joppa for some time with a certain Simon, a tanner.

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

Hear us, Lord, when we cry to you.
Calm our bodies and minds with the peace
which passes understanding,
and make us radiant with the knowledge of your goodness;
through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

May we work with you, Lord, as builders of your world
in the power of your Spirit,

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from a preface
by Alan Griffiths.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com