OREMUS: 27 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon May 26 17:00:33 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, May 27, 2008

you are the origin of all that exists,
yours is the life in everything that breathes.
You clothe the heavens with glory
and fill the earth with your praise.
You formed us, men and women,
to embody your likeness.

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of the Redeemed (Revelation 7.9,10,14b-17)

Behold, a great multitude
which no one could number,
>From every nation,
from all tribes and peoples and tongues,
standing before the throne and the Lamb.
They were clothed in white robes
and had palms in their hands,
and they cried with a loud voice, saying,
'Salvation belongs to our God
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.'
These are they
who have come out of the great tribulation,
they have washed their robes
and made them white in the blood of the Lamb;
Therefore they stand before the throne of God,
whom they serve day and night within the temple.
And the One who sits upon the throne .
will shelter them with his presence.
They shall never again feel hunger or thirst, .
the sun shall not strike them,
nor any scorching heat.
For the Lamb at the heart of the throne
will be their Shepherd,
He will guide them to springs of living water,
and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

FIRST READING [Ezra 6:1-12]:

King Darius made a decree, and they searched the archives where the documents were
stored in Babylon. But it was in Ecbatana, the capital in the province of Media, that a
scroll was found on which this was written: 'A record. In the first year of his reign,
King Cyrus issued a decree: Concerning the house of God at Jerusalem, let the house
be rebuilt, the place where sacrifices are offered and burnt-offerings are brought; its
height shall be sixty cubits and its width sixty cubits, with three courses of hewn stones
and one course of timber; let the cost be paid from the royal treasury. Moreover, let
the gold and silver vessels of the house of God, which Nebuchadnezzar took out of the
temple in Jerusalem and brought to Babylon, be restored and brought back to the
temple in Jerusalem, each to its place; you shall put them in the house of God.'
'Now you, Tattenai, governor of the province Beyond the River, Shethar-bozenai, and
you, their associates, the envoys in the province Beyond the River, keep away; let the
work on this house of God alone; let the governor of the Jews and the elders of the
Jews rebuild this house of God on its site. Moreover, I make a decree regarding what
you shall do for these elders of the Jews for the rebuilding of this house of God: the
cost is to be paid to these people, in full and without delay, from the royal revenue, the
tribute of the province Beyond the River. Whatever is needed young bulls, rams, or
sheep for burnt-offerings to the God of heaven, wheat, salt, wine, or oil, as the priests
in Jerusalem require let that be given to them day by day without fail, so that they
may offer pleasing sacrifices to the God of heaven, and pray for the life of the king and
his children. Furthermore, I decree that if anyone alters this edict, a beam shall be
pulled out of the house of the perpetrator, who then shall be impaled on it. The house
shall be made a dunghill. May the God who has established his name there overthrow
any king or people that shall put forth a hand to alter this, or to destroy this house of
God in Jerusalem. I, Darius, make a decree; let it be done with all diligence.'

HYMN
Words: Sarum Primer, 1558
God be in my head

<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g114.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/g/g114.html

God be in my head, and in my understanding;
God be in mine eyes, and in my looking;
God be in my mouth, and in my speaking;
God be in my heart, and in my thinking;
God be at mine end, and at my departing.

SECOND READING [Acts 9:20-31]:

Immediately Saul began to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, saying, 'He is the Son of
God.' All who heard him were amazed and said, 'Is not this the man who made havoc
in Jerusalem among those who invoked this name? And has he not come here for the
purpose of bringing them bound before the chief priests?' Saul became increasingly
more powerful and confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus
was the Messiah.
After some time had passed, the Jews plotted to kill him, but their plot became known
to Saul. They were watching the gates day and night so that they might kill him; but
his disciples took him by night and let him down through an opening in the wall,
lowering him in a basket.
When he had come to Jerusalem, he attempted to join the disciples; and they were all
afraid of him, for they did not believe that he was a disciple. But Barnabas took him,
brought him to the apostles, and described for them how on the road he had seen the
Lord, who had spoken to him, and how in Damascus he had spoken boldly in the name
of Jesus. So he went in and out among them in Jerusalem, speaking boldly in the name
of the Lord. He spoke and argued with the Hellenists; but they were attempting to kill
him. When the believers learned of it, they brought him down to Caesarea and sent him
off to Tarsus.
Meanwhile the church throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and was built
up. Living in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it increased in
numbers.

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
God our Father,
you gave your Son, Jesus Christ
to share our life on earth,
to grow in wisdom,
to toil with his hands,
and to make known the ways of your kingdom.

We pray for the community
those who work....
the unemployed....
those in education....
those in research....
those in communications....
those who maintain the life of the community....

God our Father, we give you thanks
for Christ's revelation of yourself,
his care for people,
and his joy in obedience....
for the value he gave to human labour,
the strength he promised us for service,
the call to follow in his way....
for all opportunities of work and of leisure,
all truth that we have learned,
and all discoveries that we have made....

Give us growing reverence for the truth,
and such wisdom in the use of knowledge
that your kingdom may be advanced
and your name glorified;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Feed your people, O Lord,
with your holy Word
and free us from the temptations
which lead us away from you
that, being filled with your mercy,
we may be admitted to your holy presence;

May we work with you, Lord, as builders of your world
in the power of your Spirit,

The psalms and the collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_
(Mowbray), (c) The Society of Saint Francis 1992, which is used with permission.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from a preface
by Alan Griffiths.