OREMUS: 25 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 24 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, May 25, 2008
The Second Sunday after Pentecost

you are the origin of all that exists,
yours is the life in everything that breathes.
You clothe the heavens with glory
and fill the earth with your praise.
You formed us, men and women,
to embody your likeness.

Hear this, all you peoples;
   hearken, all you who dwell in the world,*
 you of high degree and low, rich and poor together.
My mouth shall speak of wisdom,*
 and my heart shall meditate on understanding.
I will incline my ear to a proverb*
 and set forth my riddle upon the harp.
Why should I be afraid in evil days,*
 when the wickedness of those at my heels surrounds me,
The wickedness of those
   who put their trust in their goods,*
 and boast of their great riches?
We can never ransom ourselves,*
 or deliver to God the price of our life;
For the ransom of our life is so great,*
 that we should never have enough to pay it,
In order to live for ever and ever,*
 and never see the grave.
For we see that the wise die also;
   like the dull and stupid they perish*
 and leave their wealth to those who come after them.
Their graves shall be their homes for ever,
   their dwelling places from generation to generation,*
 though they call the lands after their own names.
Even though honoured, they cannot live for ever;*
 they are like the beasts that perish.
Such is the way of those
   who foolishly trust in themselves,*
 and the end of those who delight in their own words.
Like a flock of sheep they are destined to die;
   Death is their shepherd;*
 they go down straightway to the grave.
Their form shall waste away,*
 and the land of the dead shall be their home.
But God will ransom my life;*
 he will snatch me from the grasp of death.
Do not be envious when some become rich,*
 or when the grandeur of their house increases;
For they will carry nothing away at their death,*
 nor will their grandeur follow them.
Though they thought highly of themselves
   while they lived,*
 and were praised for their success,
They shall join the company of their forebears,*
 who will never see the light again.
Those who are honoured, but have no understanding,*
 are like the beasts that perish.

A Song of Praise (Revelation 4.11; 5.9b,10)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.
For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.
You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 30:11-end]:

Surely, this commandment that I am commanding you today is not too hard for you,
nor is it too far away. It is not in heaven, that you should say, 'Who will go up to
heaven for us, and get it for us so that we may hear it and observe it?' Neither is it
beyond the sea, that you should say, 'Who will cross to the other side of the sea for us,
and get it for us so that we may hear it and observe it?' No, the word is very near to
you; it is in your mouth and in your heart for you to observe.
See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, death and adversity. If you obey
the commandments of the Lord your God that I am commanding you today, by loving
the Lord your God, walking in his ways, and observing his commandments, decrees,
and ordinances, then you shall live and become numerous, and the Lord your God will
bless you in the land that you are entering to possess. But if your heart turns away and
you do not hear, but are led astray to bow down to other gods and serve them, I
declare to you today that you shall perish; you shall not live long in the land that you
are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess. I call heaven and earth to witness against
you today that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose life
so that you and your descendants may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying him,
and holding fast to him; for that means life to you and length of days, so that you may
live in the land that the Lord swore to give to your ancestors, to Abraham, to Isaac,
and to Jacob.

HYMN
Words: John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892), 1867
Tune: Bishopthorpe

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i226.html

Immortal love, forever full,
forever flowing free,
forever shared, forever whole,
a never ebbing sea!

Our outward lips confess the name
all other names above;
love only knoweth whence it came,
and comprehendeth love.

We may not climb the heavenly steeps
to bring the Lord Christ down;
In vain we search the lowest deeps,
for him no depths can drown.

But warm, sweet, tender, even yet,
a present help is he;
and faith still has its Olivet,
and love its Galilee.

The healing of his seamless dress
is by our beds of pain;
we touch him in life's throng and press,
and we are whole again.

Through him the first fond prayers are said
our lips of childhood frame,
the last low whispers of our dead
are burdened with his Name.

O Lord and Master of us all,
whate'er our name or sign,
we own thy sway, we hear thy call,
we test our lives by thine.

SECOND READING [John 13:1-17,34-35]:

Now before the festival of the Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart
from this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he
loved them to the end. The devil had already put it into the heart of Judas son of
Simon Iscariot to betray him. And during supper Jesus, knowing that the Father had
given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God,
got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then
he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them
with the towel that was tied around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him,
'Lord, are you going to wash my feet?' Jesus answered, 'You do not know now what
I am doing, but later you will understand.' Peter said to him, 'You will never wash my
feet.' Jesus answered, 'Unless I wash you, you have no share with me.' Simon Peter
said to him, 'Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!' Jesus said to
him, 'One who has bathed does not need to wash, except for the feet, but is entirely
clean. And you are clean, though not all of you.' For he knew who was to betray him;
for this reason he said, 'Not all of you are clean.'
After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table, he
said to them, 'Do you know what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and
Lord and you are right, for that is what I am. So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have
washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have set you an
example, that you also should do as I have done to you. Very truly, I tell you, servants
are not greater than their master, nor are messengers greater than the one who sent
them. If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them. I give you a new
commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should
love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have
love for one another.'

We pray for all who are preparing for the Olympic Games whether building, organising
or competing. May it be for everyone an occasion to recognise the wonder of God's
creation. May it teach us that all God's children are precious and members of one
human family. Lord, in your goodness, hear our prayer.

We pray for all the people of China but especially we bring before the Lord those who
have suffered tragic loss through the earthquake. May the bereaved find comfort in
those whom they love. And may those who can offer help do so with generous hearts.
Lord in your goodness, hear our prayer.

May the Lord grant comfort to refugees and persons who are displaced around the
world. We ask the Lord to give encouragement to those who work to relieve the
burdens of people far from home. Lord, hear us, hear our
prayer.

Let us pray for the people of Burma. We bring before the Lord those who have lost
everything in the cyclone disaster. In particular we pray for those who have been
bereaved and are feeling totally abandoned. May they find peace and consolation.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Let us pray for those adults who are particularly vulnerable in our society. May we
keep in mind that we all have a special duty of care to those who are in special need.
May our community always be alert to the needs of those around us and be prepared
to help where we can. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for mothers and fathers who are anxious for the safety of their children. May
we be supportive of those who work to build a safe environment. Lord, in your
goodness, hear our prayer.

We pray for all the peoples who live in the Holy Land of whatever faith and allegiance.
Especially we bring before the Lord the needs of all who have to carry the greatest
burdens of violence and unrest. May God bless those who work for peace. Lord, in
your mercy, hear our prayer.</strong

Most loving Father,
whose will it is for us to give thanks for all things,
to fear nothing but the loss of you,
and to cast all our care on you who care for us:
Preserve us from faithless fears and worldly anxieties,
that no clouds of this mortal life
may hide from us the light of that love
which is immortal, and which you have manifested to us
in your Son Jesus Christ our Lord;
who lives and reigns with you,

May we work with you, Lord, as builders of your world
in the power of your Spirit,

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from a preface
by Alan Griffiths.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The
Episcopal Church_.