OREMUS: 24 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 23 18:06:30 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, May 24, 2008
Jackson Kemper, First Missionary Bishop in the United States, 1870

by whose word the heavens were formed
and the earth was brought forth from the waters.
The reflection of your glory
shines in each created thing,
and, though earth's flowering fades,
you call life out of death
into the light that endures forever,

Ascribe to the Lord, you gods,*
 ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to his name;*
 worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
The voice of the Lord is upon the waters;
   the God of glory thunders;*
 the Lord is upon the mighty waters.
The voice of the Lord is a powerful voice;*
 the voice of the Lord is a voice of splendour.
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedar trees;*
 the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon;
He makes Lebanon skip like a calf,*
 and Mount Hermon like a young wild ox.
The voice of the Lord splits the flames of fire;
   the voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;*
 the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
The voice of the Lord makes the oak trees writhe*
 and strips the forests bare.
And in the temple of the Lord*
 all are crying, 'Glory!'
The Lord sits enthroned above the flood;*
 the Lord sits enthroned as king for evermore.
The Lord shall give strength to his people;*
 the Lord shall give his people the blessing of peace.

Psalm 30

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;
Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,
As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,
So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.
For Zion's sake I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,
Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.
The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;
Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.
You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Zechariah 2]:

I looked up and saw a man with a measuring line in his hand. Then I asked, 'Where are
you going?' He answered me, 'To measure Jerusalem, to see what is its width and
what is its length.' Then the angel who talked with me came forward, and another
angel came forward to meet him, and said to him, 'Run, say to that young man:
Jerusalem shall be inhabited like villages without walls, because of the multitude of
people and animals in it. For I will be a wall of fire all round it, says the Lord, and I
will be the glory within it.'
Up, up! Flee from the land of the north, says the Lord; for I have spread you abroad
like the four winds of heaven, says the Lord. Up! Escape to Zion, you that live with
daughter Babylon. For thus said the Lord of hosts (after his glory sent me) regarding
the nations that plundered you: Truly, one who touches you touches the apple of my
eye. See now, I am going to raise my hand against them, and they shall become
plunder for their own slaves. Then you will know that the Lord of hosts has sent me.
Sing and rejoice, O daughter Zion! For lo, I will come and dwell in your midst, says
the Lord. Many nations shall join themselves to the Lord on that day, and shall be my
people; and I will dwell in your midst. And you shall know that the Lord of hosts has
sent me to you. The Lord will inherit Judah as his portion in the holy land, and will
again choose Jerusalem.
Be silent, all people, before the Lord; for he has roused himself from his holy dwelling.

HYMN
Words: John Ryland (1753-1825)
Tune: Saint Frances (CM)

In all my Lord's appointed ways,
My journey I'll pursue;
Hinder me not, ye much-loved saints,
For I must go with you.

Through floods and flames, if Jesus lead,
I'll follow where He goes;
Hinder me not, shall be my cry,
Though earth and hell oppose.

Through duty, and through trials too,
I'll go at His command;
Hinder me not, for I am bound
To my Immanuel's land.

And when my Saviour calls me home,
Still this my cry shall be,
Hinder me not, come, welcome death,
I'll gladly go with thee.

SECOND READING [Acts 8:26-end]:

An angel of the Lord said to Philip, 'Get up and go towards the south to the road that
goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.' (This is a wilderness road.) So he got up and went.
Now there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of the Candace, queen of the
Ethiopians, in charge of her entire treasury. He had come to Jerusalem to worship and
was returning home; seated in his chariot, he was reading the prophet Isaiah. Then the
Spirit said to Philip, 'Go over to this chariot and join it.' So Philip ran up to it and heard
him reading the prophet Isaiah. He asked, 'Do you understand what you are reading?'
He replied, 'How can I, unless someone guides me?' And he invited Philip to get in and
sit beside him. Now the passage of the scripture that he was reading was this:
'Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter,
   and like a lamb silent before its shearer,
     so he does not open his mouth.
In his humiliation justice was denied him.
   Who can describe his generation?
     For his life is taken away from the earth.'
The eunuch asked Philip, 'About whom, may I ask you, does the prophet say this, about
himself or about someone else?' Then Philip began to speak, and starting with this
scripture, he proclaimed to him the good news about Jesus. As they were going along
the road, they came to some water; and the eunuch said, 'Look, here is water! What is
to prevent me from being baptized?' He commanded the chariot to stop, and both of
them, Philip and the eunuch, went down into the water, and Philip baptized him. When
they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; the eunuch
saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing. But Philip found himself at Azotus,
and as he was passing through the region, he proclaimed the good news to all the towns
until he came to Caesarea.

Make your ways known upon earth, Lord God,
your saving power among all peoples.

Renew your Church in holiness,
and help us to serve you with joy.

Guide the leaders of this and every nation,
that justice may prevail throughout the world.

Let not the needy be forgotten,
nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Make us instruments of your peace
and let your glory be over all the earth.

God of mystery and power,
open our eyes to the flame of your love,
and open our ears to the thunder of your justice,
that we may receive your gifts of blessing and peace,
to the glory of your Name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord God,
we give you thank for your servant Jackson Kemper,
who spread the Gospel throughout the western United States:
Grant that the Church may always be faithful to its mission,
and have the vision, courage, and perseverance
to make known to all people the Good News of Jesus Christ;
who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Philip Newell and the
closing sentence is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Jackson Kemper was born 24 December 1789 in Pleasant Valley, New York, attended
Columbia College, and was ordained a priest in 1814. In 1835, the Episcopal Church
undertook to consecrate missionary bishops to preach the Gospel west of the settled areas,
and Kemper was the first to be chosen. He promptly headed west. Having found that
clergy who had lived all their lives in the settled East were slow to respond to his call to
join him on the frontier, he determined to recruit priests from among men who were
already in the West, and established a college in St. Louis, Missouri, for that purpose. He
went on to found Nashotah House and Racine College in Wisconsin. He constantly urged
a more extensive outreach to the Indian peoples, and translations of the Scriptures and the
services of the Church into Indian languages. From 1859 till his death in 1870, he was
bishop of Wisconsin, but the effect of his labors covered a far wider area.