OREMUS: 23 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu May 22 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, May 23, 2008

by whose word the heavens were formed
and the earth was brought forth from the waters.
The reflection of your glory
shines in each created thing,
and, though earth's flowering fades,
you call life out of death
into the light that endures forever,

Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger;*
 do not punish me in your wrath.
Have pity on me, Lord, for I am weak;*
 heal me, Lord, for my bones are racked.
My spirit shakes with terror;*
 how long, O Lord, how long?
Turn, O Lord, and deliver me;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
For in death no one remembers you;*
 and who will give you thanks in the grave?
I grow weary because of my groaning;*
 every night I drench my bed
   and flood my couch with tears.
My eyes are wasted with grief*
 and worn away because of all my enemies.
Depart from me, all evildoers,*
 for the Lord has heard the sound of my weeping.
The Lord has heard my supplication;*
 the Lord accepts my prayer.
All my enemies shall be confounded and quake with fear;*
 they shall turn back and suddenly be put to shame.

Psalm 26

Give judgement for me, O Lord,
   for I have lived with integrity;*
 I have trusted in the Lord and have not faltered.
Test me, O Lord, and try me;*
 examine my heart and my mind.
For your love is before my eyes;*
 I have walked faithfully with you.
I have not sat with the worthless,*
 nor do I consort with the deceitful.
I have hated the company of evildoers;*
 I will not sit down with the wicked.
I will wash my hands in innocence, O Lord,*
 that I may go in procession round your altar,
Singing aloud a song of thanksgiving*
 and recounting all your wonderful deeds.
Lord, I love the house in which you dwell*
 and the place where your glory abides.
Do not sweep me away with sinners,*
 nor my life with those who thirst for blood,
Whose hands are full of evil plots,*
 and their right hand full of bribes.
As for me, I will live with integrity;*
 redeem me, O Lord, and have pity on me.
My foot stands on level ground;*
 in the full assembly I will bless the Lord.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26; 22.1,2b,d,3b,4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.
And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it, .
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.
By its light the nations shall walk, .
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.
Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night; .
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.
I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal, .
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.
And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month, .
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.
The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him; .
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Zechariah 1:7-17]:

On the twenty-fourth day of the eleventh month, the month of Shebat, in the second
year of Darius, the word of the Lord came to the prophet Zechariah son of Berechiah
son of Iddo; and Zechariah said, In the night I saw a man riding on a red horse! He
was standing among the myrtle trees in the glen; and behind him were red, sorrel, and
white horses. Then I said, 'What are these, my lord?' The angel who talked with me
said to me, 'I will show you what they are.' So the man who was standing among the
myrtle trees answered, 'They are those whom the Lord has sent to patrol the earth.'
Then they spoke to the angel of the Lord who was standing among the myrtle trees,
'We have patrolled the earth, and lo, the whole earth remains at peace.' Then the angel
of the Lord said, 'O Lord of hosts, how long will you withhold mercy from Jerusalem
and the cities of Judah, with which you have been angry these seventy years?' Then the
Lord replied with gracious and comforting words to the angel who talked with me. So
the angel who talked with me said to me, Proclaim this message: Thus says the Lord
of hosts; I am very jealous for Jerusalem and for Zion. And I am extremely angry with
the nations that are at ease; for while I was only a little angry, they made the disaster
worse. Therefore, thus says the Lord, I have returned to Jerusalem with compassion;
my house shall be built in it, says the Lord of hosts, and the measuring line shall be
stretched out over Jerusalem. Proclaim further: Thus says the Lord of hosts: My cities
shall again overflow with prosperity; the Lord will again comfort Zion and again
choose Jerusalem.

HYMN
Words: Edward Henry Plumptre (1821-1891)
Tune: Neumark

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o411.html

O Lord of hosts, all heaven possessing,
behold us from thy sapphire throne,
in doubt and darkness dimly guessing,
we might thy glory half have known;
but thou in Christ hast made us thine,
and on us all thy beauties shine.

Illumine all, disciples, teachers,
thy law's deep wonders to unfold;
with reverent hand let wisdom's preachers
bring forth their treasures, new and old;
let oldest, youngest, find in thee
of truth and love the boundless sea.

Let faith still light the lamp of science,
and knowledge pass from truth to truth,
and wisdom, in its full reliance,
renew the primal awe of youth;
so holier, wiser, may we grow,
as time's swift currents onward flow.

Bind thou our life in fullest union
with all thy saints from sin set free;
uphold us in that blest communion
of all thy saints on earth with thee;
keep thou our souls, or there or here,
in mightiest love, that casts out fear.

SECOND READING [Acts 8:5-25]:

Philip went down to the city of Samaria and proclaimed the Messiah to them. The
crowds with one accord listened eagerly to what was said by Philip, hearing and seeing
the signs that he did, for unclean spirits, crying with loud shrieks, came out of many
who were possessed; and many others who were paralysed or lame were cured. So
there was great joy in that city.
Now a certain man named Simon had previously practised magic in the city and
amazed the people of Samaria, saying that he was someone great. All of them, from
the least to the greatest, listened to him eagerly, saying, 'This man is the power of God
that is called Great.' And they listened eagerly to him because for a long time he had
amazed them with his magic. But when they believed Philip, who was proclaiming the
good news about the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were
baptized, both men and women. Even Simon himself believed. After being baptized, he
stayed constantly with Philip and was amazed when he saw the signs and great
miracles that took place.
Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of
God, they sent Peter and John to them. The two went down and prayed for them that
they might receive the Holy Spirit (for as yet the Spirit had not come upon any of
them; they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus). Then Peter and John
laid their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. Now when Simon saw that
the Spirit was given through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them
money, saying, 'Give me also this power so that anyone on whom I lay my hands may
receive the Holy Spirit.' But Peter said to him, 'May your silver perish with you,
because you thought you could obtain God's gift with money! You have no part or
share in this, for your heart is not right before God. Repent therefore of this
wickedness of yours, and pray to the Lord that, if possible, the intent of your heart
may be forgiven you. For I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and the chains of
wickedness.' Simon answered, 'Pray for me to the Lord, that nothing of what you
have said may happen to me.'
Now after Peter and John had testified and spoken the word of the Lord, they returned
to Jerusalem, proclaiming the good news to many villages of the Samaritans.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
to be praised and glorified for ever.

Hear us as we pray for your holy catholic Church,
make us all one, that the world may believe.

Grant that every member of the Church may truly and humbly serve you:
that the life of Christ may be revealed in us.

Strengthen all who minister in Christ's name:
give them courage to proclaim your Gospel.

Inspire and lead those who hold authority in the nations of the world:
guide them in the ways of justice and peace.

Make us alive to the needs of our community:
help us to share each other's joys and burdens.

Look with kindness on our homes and families:
grant that your love may grow in our hearts.

Deepen our compassion for all who suffer from sickness, grief or trouble:
in your presence may they find their strength.

We remember those who have died:
Father, into your hands we commend them.

We praise you for all your saints who have entered your eternal glory:
bring us all to share in your heavenly kingdom.

God of mercy and tenderness,
giver of life and conqueror of death,
look upon our weakness and grief,
and restore us to health,
that we may sing a new song to your praise;
through Jesus Christ our risen Lord. Amen.

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Philip Newell and the
closing sentence is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com