OREMUS: 18 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 17 17:00:32 GMT 2008

OREMUS for , 2008

Blessed are you, eternal and triune God,
whom we worship as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
In Jesus Christ you spoke the word
that brought the world into being.
By the Holy Spirit,
you brought order out of chaos
and breathed life into your creatures.
In parental love,
you stood by us in spite of our disobedience,
correcting us with gracious reproof,
and welcoming us again into your loving embrace.

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

Te Deum

We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as the Lord;
all creation worships you,
the Father everlasting.
To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,
the cherubim and seraphim, sing in endless praise:
Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.
The glorious company of apostles praise you.
The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.
The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.
Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you:
Father, of majesty unbounded,
your true and only Son, worthy of all praise,
the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.
You, Christ, are the King of glory,
the eternal Son of the Father.
When you took our flesh to set us free
you humbly chose the Virgin's womb.
You overcame the sting of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.
You are seated at God's right hand in glory.
We believe that you will come and be our judge.
Come then, Lord, and help your people,
bought with the price of your own blood,
and bring us with your saints
to glory everlasting.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 43:1-12, 27-33]:

The pride of the higher realms is the clear vault of the sky,
   as glorious to behold as the sight of the heavens.
The sun, when it appears, proclaims as it rises
   what a marvellous instrument it is, the work of the Most High.
At noon it parches the land,
   and who can withstand its burning heat?
A man tending a furnace works in burning heat,
   but three times as hot is the sun scorching the mountains;
it breathes out fiery vapours,
   and its bright rays blind the eyes.
Great is the Lord who made it;
   at his orders it hurries on its course.

It is the moon that marks the changing seasons,
   governing the times, their everlasting sign.
>From the moon comes the sign for festal days,
   a light that wanes when it completes its course.
The new moon, as its name suggests, renews itself;
   how marvellous it is in this change,
a beacon to the hosts on high,
   shining in the vault of the heavens!

The glory of the stars is the beauty of heaven,
   a glittering array in the heights of the Lord.
On the orders of the Holy One they stand in their appointed places;
   they never relax in their watches.
Look at the rainbow, and praise him who made it;
   it is exceedingly beautiful in its brightness.
It encircles the sky with its glorious arc;
   the hands of the Most High have stretched it out.

We could say more but could never say enough;
   let the final word be: 'He is the all.'
Where can we find the strength to praise him?
   For he is greater than all his works.
Awesome is the Lord and very great,
   and marvellous is his power.
Glorify the Lord and exalt him as much as you can,
   for he surpasses even that.
When you exalt him, summon all your strength,
   and do not grow weary, for you cannot praise him enough.
Who has seen him and can describe him?
   Or who can extol him as he is?
Many things greater than these lie hidden,
   for I have seen but few of his works.
For the Lord has made all things,
   and to the godly he has given wisdom.

HYMN
Words: Elizabeth Cosnett (born 1936)   2001 Stainer & Bell Ltd Used By Permission.

Eyes may not see,
Minds can't imagine,
Feet dare not trample the heavenly place;
Yet human souls
Catch in self-giving
Shadows of glory and echoes of grace.
Holy and wonderful, Giver and Gift,
This is your message, Alleluia.

Bethlehem bore,
Nazareth nurtured,
Galilee listened, entranced, to the Word,
Golgotha brought
Darkness and silence,
Yet in that silence God's voice is most heard.
Holy and wonderful, Jesus our Lord,
This is your triumph, Alleluia.

Faith means we trust,
Hope summons courage,
Love finds expression in service and praise;
Christ's church must learn,
Humbly Christ's language,
Raised up with Jesus, proclaiming his ways.
Holy and wonderful, Spirit of God,
This is your mission, Alleluia.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 4:1-6]:

I Paul, therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to
which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with
one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of
peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope of your
calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is above all
and through all and in all.

High and holy God,
robed in majesty,
Lord of heaven and earth,
we pray that you bring justice, faith
and salvation to all peoples.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

You chose us in Christ to be your people
and to be the temple of your Holy Spirit;
we pray that you will fill your Church with vision and hope.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Your Spirit enables us to cry, "Abba! Father!",
affirms that we are fellow-heirs with Christ
and pleads for us in our weakness;
we pray for all who are in need or distress.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

In the baptism and birth of Jesus,
you have opened heaven to us
and enabled us to share in your glory:
the joy of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
from before the world was made.
May your Church, living and departed,
come to a joyful resurrection in your city of light.
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Almighty and everlasting God,
you have given to us your servants grace,
by the confession of a true faith,
to acknowledge the glory of the eternal Trinity,
and in the power of your divine Majesty to worship the Unity:
Keep us steadfast in this faith and worship,
and bring us at last to see you in your one and eternal glory,
O Father; who with the Son and the Holy Spirit
live and reign, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

O God our mystery,
you bring to life,
call us to freedom,
and move between us in love.
May we so participate
in your dance of trinity
that our lives may resonate with you,
now and for ever. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a eucharistic prayer in
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.

The intercession and the closing sentence are from _New Patterns for
Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

of The Episcopal Church_.