OREMUS: 17 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 16 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, May 17, 2008
Ember Saturday

by whose word the heavens were formed
and the earth was brought forth from the waters.
The reflection of your glory
shines in each created thing,
and, though earth's flowering fades,
you call life out of death
into the light that endures forever,

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

   Give praise, you servants of the Lord;*
 praise the name of the Lord.
Let the name of the Lord be blessed,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
>From the rising of the sun to its going down*
 let the name of the Lord be praised.
The Lord is high above all nations,*
 and his glory above the heavens.
Who is like the Lord our God,
   who sits enthroned on high,*
 but stoops to behold the heavens and the earth?
He takes up the weak out of the dust*
 and lifts up the poor from the ashes.
He sets them with the princes,*
 with the princes of his people.
He makes the woman of a childless house*
 to be a joyful mother of children.

Bless the Lord (The Song of the Three 29-34)

Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Numbers 6:22-end]:

The Lord spoke to Moses, saying: Speak to Aaron and his sons, saying, Thus you shall
bless the Israelites: You shall say to them,
The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you;
the Lord lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.

So they shall put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them.

HYMN
Words: Theodore C Williams (1855-1915)

God be with thee! Gently o'er thee
May His wings of mercy spread;
Be His way made plain before thee,
And His glory round thee shed!
Safely onward
May thy pilgrim feet be led.

God be with thee! With thy spirit
His abiding presence be,
Till thy heart that peace inherit
God alone can give to thee!
His indwelling
Help and heal and set thee free.

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 13:5-end]:

Examine yourselves to see whether you are living in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you
not realize that Jesus Christ is in you? unless, indeed, you fail to pass the test! I hope
you will find out that we have not failed. But we pray to God that you may not do
anything wrong not that we may appear to have passed the test, but that you may do
what is right, though we may seem to have failed. For we cannot do anything against
the truth, but only for the truth. For we rejoice when we are weak and you are strong.
This is what we pray for, that you may become perfect. So I write these things while I
am away from you, so that when I come, I may not have to be severe in using the
authority that the Lord has given me for building up and not for tearing down.
Finally, brothers and sisters, farewell. Put things in order, listen to my appeal, agree
with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you. Greet
one another with a holy kiss. All the saints greet you.
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy
Spirit be with all of you.

There is one body and one spirit,
one hope in God's call to us;
One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism,
One God and Father of all.

Let us pray for the Church, responding "Lord, hear our prayer."

For Christ's one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church,
faithfully fulfilling its mission and exercising its ministry
in the changes and chances of this day and age,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For forgiveness of our failure to commend the faith that is in us
to those both far and near,
that you wll strengthen us to proclaim by word and example
the good news of God in Jesus Christ,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

In thanksgiving for the courage, compassion, and fearless witness
of lay and clergy leaders who have risen to the trials of our times,
and who have called the chuch to live out its enduring truth
in the midst of changing circumstances,
that our witness may be ever fatihful and ever new,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the coming of your kingdom,
that we may prayerfully continue to strive for justice and peace
as signs of your reign that is already at work among us,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Almighty God,
by your grace alone we are accepted
and called to your service:
Strengthen us by your Holy Spirit
and make us worthy of our calling;
one God, now and forever. Amen. Amen.

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Philip Newell and the
closing sentence is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,