OREMUS: 16 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu May 15 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, May 16, 2008
Ember Friday

by whose word the heavens were formed
and the earth was brought forth from the waters.
The reflection of your glory
shines in each created thing,
and, though earth's flowering fades,
you call life out of death
into the light that endures forever,

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 134

Behold now, bless the Lord,
   all you servants of the Lord,*
 you that stand by night in the house of the Lord.
Lift up your hands in the holy place
   and bless the Lord;*
 the Lord who made heaven and earth
   bless you out of Zion.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29.10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.
Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord,
and you are exalted as head over all.
Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.
In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.
And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.
For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Isaiah 52:1-10]:

Awake, awake,
   put on your strength, O Zion!
Put on your beautiful garments,
   O Jerusalem, the holy city;
for the uncircumcised and the unclean
   shall enter you no more.
Shake yourself from the dust, rise up,
   O captive Jerusalem;
loose the bonds from your neck,
   O captive daughter Zion!

 For thus says the Lord: You were sold for nothing, and you shall be redeemed
without money. For thus says the Lord God: Long ago, my people went down into
Egypt to reside there as aliens; the Assyrian, too, has oppressed them without cause.
Now therefore, what am I doing here, says the Lord, seeing that my people are taken
away without cause? Their rulers howl, says the Lord, and continually, all day long,
my name is despised. Therefore my people shall know my name; therefore on that day
they shall know that it is I who speak; here am I.

How beautiful upon the mountains
   are the feet of the messenger who announces peace,
who brings good news,
   who announces salvation,
   who says to Zion, 'Your God reigns.'
Listen! Your sentinels lift up their voices,
   together they sing for joy;
for in plain sight they see
   the return of the Lord to Zion.
Break forth together into singing,
   you ruins of Jerusalem;
for the Lord has comforted his people,
   he has redeemed Jerusalem.
The Lord has bared his holy arm
   before the eyes of all the nations;
and all the ends of the earth shall see
   the salvation of our God.

HYMN
Words: John Keble (1792-1866)
Tune: Oriel http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/mid/oriel.mid

Lord of life, Prophetic Spirit,
In sweet measure evermore
To the holy children dealing
Each his gift from Thy rich store;
Bless Thy Family, adoring
As in Israel's schools of yore.

Holy Jesus, Eye most loving
On each young disciple bent;
Voice that, seeming earthly, summon'd
Samuel to the awful tent;
Hand that cast Elijah's mantle;
Thine be all Thy Grace hath lent.

As to Thine own seventy scholars
Thou of old Thine Arm didst reach,
Under Thy majestic shadow
Guiding them to do and teach,
Till their hour of solemn unction;
So be with us all and each.

God and Father of all Spirits,
Whose dread call young Joshua knew,
Forty days in darkness waiting
With Thy servant good and true,
Thence to wage Thy war descending,
Own us, Lord, Thy champions too.

One Thy Light, the Temple filling,
Holy, Holy, Holy, Three:
Meanest men and brightest Angels
Wait alike the word from Thee;
Highest musings, lowliest worship,
Must their preparation be.

Now Thou speakest - hear we trembling -
>From the glory comes a Voice.
Who accepts th' Almighty's mission?
Who will make Christ's work his choice?
Who for Us proclaim to sinners,
Turn, believe, endure, rejoice?

Here are we, Redeemer, send us!
But because Thy work is fire,
And our lips, unclean and earthly,
Breathe no breath of high desire;
Send Thy Seraph from the Altar
Veil'd, but in his bright attire.

Cause him, Lord, to fly full swiftly
With the mystic coal in hand,
Sin-consuming, soul-transforming
(Faith and love will understand);
Touch our lips, Thou awful Mercy,
With Thine own keen healing brand.

Thou didst come that fire to kindle;
Fain would we Thy torches prove,
Far and wide Thy beacons lighting
With the undying spark of love:
Only feed our flame, we pray Thee,
With Thy breathings from above.

Now to God, the soul's Creator,
To His Word and Wisdom sure,
To His all-enlightening Spirit,
Patron of the frail and poor,
Three in One, be praise and glory
Here and while the heav'ns endure.

SECOND READING [Acts 6]:

Now during those days, when the disciples were increasing in number, the Hellenists
complained against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the
daily distribution of food. And the twelve called together the whole community of the
disciples and said, 'It is not right that we should neglect the word of God in order to
wait at tables. Therefore, friends, select from among yourselves seven men of good
standing, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this task, while
we, for our part, will devote ourselves to prayer and to serving the word.' What they
said pleased the whole community, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the
Holy Spirit, together with Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolaus,
a proselyte of Antioch. They had these men stand before the apostles, who prayed and
laid their hands on them.
The word of God continued to spread; the number of the disciples increased greatly in
Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.
Stephen, full of grace and power, did great wonders and signs among the people. Then
some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called),
Cyrenians, Alexandrians, and others of those from Cilicia and Asia, stood up and
argued with Stephen. But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with
which he spoke. Then they secretly instigated some men to say, 'We have heard him
speak blasphemous words against Moses and God.' They stirred up the people as well
as the elders and the scribes; then they suddenly confronted him, seized him, and
brought him before the council. They set up false witnesses who said, 'This man never
stops saying things against this holy place and the law; for we have heard him say that
this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and will change the customs that Moses
handed on to us.' And all who sat in the council looked intently at him, and they saw
that his face was like the face of an angel.

There is one body and one spirit,
one hope in God's call to us;
One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism,
One God and Father of all.

Let us pray for the Church, responding "Lord, hear our prayer."

For your holy catholic Church,
in all times and in all places,
that it may continually be filled with the grace
of your Son our Savior, Jesus Christ,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the Anglican Communion,
that in breadth of spirit and depth of devotion
it may constantly rediscover its character as a church for all people,
and that it may reach out to all peoples everywhere
for the sake of truth and in obedience to the Gospel,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

For the forgiveness of our sins:
for failure to love you with our whole heart and our neighbors as ourselves,
that you will renew us as one body and one spirit in Christ,
that we may worthily serve the world in his name,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

In thanksgiving for your blessings:
for the challenges and opportunities you give us
to grow in understanding and cooperaton in your Chuch,
that as many members of one body
we may continually be transformed into the likeness of Christ Jesus,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

In hope for the future,
that you will raise up godly leaders,
grant us a clear vision,
and give us both abiding trust and steadfast hearts for the days to come,
we pray to you, O Lord.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Bountiful and loving God,
we give you thanks for your holy Catholic Church,
for the light of the faith shared by generations past
and for the love which you have shown for the earth;

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Philip Newell and the
closing sentence is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,