OREMUS: 15 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed May 14 17:00:02 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, May 15, 2008

by whose word the heavens were formed
and the earth was brought forth from the waters.
The reflection of your glory
shines in each created thing,
and, though earth's flowering fades,
you call life out of death
into the light that endures forever,

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me./td>

A Song of the New Creation (Isaiah 43.15,16,18,19,20c,21)

'I am the Lord, your Holy One,
the Creator of Israel, your King.'
Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea,
a path in the mighty waters,
'Remember not the former things,
nor consider the things of old.
'Behold, I am doing a new thing;
now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?
'I will make a way in the wilderness
and rivers in the desert,
to give drink to my chosen people,
'The people whom I formed for myself,
that they might declare my praise.'

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Wisdom 11:21-12:2]:

For it is always in your power to show great strength,
and who can withstand the might of your arm?
Because the whole world before you is like a speck that tips the scales,
and like a drop of morning dew that falls on the ground.
But you are merciful to all, for you can do all things,
and you overlook people's sins, so that they may repent.
For you love all things that exist,
and detest none of the things that you have made,
for you would not have made anything if you had hated it.
How would anything have endured if you had not willed it?
Or how would anything not called forth by you have been preserved?
You spare all things, for they are yours, O Lord, you who love the living.

For your immortal spirit is in all things.
Therefore you correct little by little those who trespass,
and you remind and warn them of the things through which they sin,
so that they may be freed from wickedness and put their trust in you, O Lord.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: Aberystwyth, Hollingside

Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high;
Hide me, O my Saviour, hide,
Till the storm of life is past;
Safe into the haven guide,
O receive my soul at last!

Other refuge have I none,
Hangs my helpless soul on thee;
Leave, ah, leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me.
All my trust on thee is stayed,
All my help from thee I bring;
Cover my defenceless head
With the shadow of thy wing.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want;
More than all in thee I find;
Raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
Heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is thy name,
I am all unrighteousness;
False and full of sin I am,
Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with thee is found,
Grace to cover all my sin;
Let the healing streams abound,
Make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art;
Freely let me take of thee;
Spring thou up within my heart,
Rise to all eternity.

SECOND READING [Acts 5:29-end]:

Peter and the apostles answered the high priest who had ordered their arrest, 'We
must obey God rather than any human authority. The God of our ancestors raised up
Jesus, whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. God exalted him at his right
hand as Leader and Saviour, so that he might give repentance to Israel and forgiveness
of sins. And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit whom God has
given to those who obey him.'
When they heard this, they were enraged and wanted to kill them. But a Pharisee in the
council named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law, respected by all the people, stood up
and ordered the men to be put outside for a short time. Then he said to them,
'Fellow-Israelites, consider carefully what you propose to do to these men. For some
time ago Theudas rose up, claiming to be somebody, and a number of men, about four
hundred, joined him; but he was killed, and all who followed him were dispersed and
disappeared. After him Judas the Galilean rose up at the time of the census and got
people to follow him; he also perished, and all who followed him were scattered. So in
the present case, I tell you, keep away from these men and let them alone; because if
this plan or this undertaking is of human origin, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will
not be able to overthrow them in that case you may even be found fighting against
God!'
They were convinced by him, and when they had called in the apostles, they had them
flogged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.
As they left the council, they rejoiced that they were considered worthy to suffer
dishonour for the sake of the name. And every day in the temple and at home they did
not cease to teach and proclaim Jesus as the Messiah.

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Foundation of all that is,
you are our dwelling place for all time.

For what you have wrought through the waters of baptism
and your indwelling Spirit:
We praise you, Lord.

For the peace and strength of your surrounding mercy:
We praise you, Lord.

For all the ways your grace has shaped the patterns of our lives:
We praise you, Lord.

Free us and all your church to be at home with you today.
Strong God, hear us.

Make our hearts hospitable to all whom we meet today.
Strong God, hear us.

Steady in us all our choices and encounters.
Strong God, hear us.

Hold tenderly to your Church,
east, west, north, south,
past, present and future for Christ's sake.
Strong God, hear us.

Almighty God,
your wisdom orders our earthly life:
Give us grace to walk by faith and not by sight,
that in the midst of those things which pass our understanding,
we may believe in your loving care
and the assurance of your motherly embrace;

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Philip Newell and the
closing sentence is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The collect is by Stephen T. Benner, 2008, and is inspired by an anonymous prayer in
The Prayer Manual.