OREMUS: 14 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue May 13 17:00:00 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Saint Matthias the Apostle

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ,
who established the Church
upon the foundation of the apostles,
through whom we have received the Good News
and come to know the mystery of salvation.

Rejoice in the Lord, you righteous;*
 it is good for the just to sing praises.
Praise the Lord with the harp;*
 play to him upon the psaltery and lyre.
Sing for him a new song;*
 sound a fanfare with all your skill upon the trumpet.
For the word of the Lord is right,*
 and all his works are sure.
He loves righteousness and justice;*
 the loving-kindness of the Lord fills the whole earth.
By the word of the Lord were the heavens made,*
 by the breath of his mouth all the heavenly hosts.
He gathers up the waters of the ocean
   as in a water-skin*
 and stores up the depths of the sea.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;*
 let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.
For he spoke and it came to pass;*
 he commanded and it stood fast.
The Lord brings the will of the nations to naught;*
 he thwarts the designs of the peoples.
But the Lord's will stands fast for ever,*
 and the designs of his heart from age to age.
Happy is the nation whose God is the Lord!*
 happy the people he has chosen to be his own!
The Lord looks down from heaven,*
 and beholds all the people in the world.
>From where he sits enthroned he turns his gaze*
 on all who dwell on the earth.
He fashions all the hearts of them*
 and understands all their works.
There is no king that can be saved by a mighty army;*
 the strong are not delivered by great strength.nbsp;
The horse is a vain hope for deliverance;*
 for all its strength it cannot save.
Behold, the eye of the Lord
   is upon those who fear him,*
 on those who wait upon his love,
To pluck their lives from death,*
 and to feed them in time of famine.
Our soul waits for the Lord;*
 he is our help and our shield.
Indeed, our heart rejoices in him,*
 for in his holy name we put our trust.
Let your loving-kindness, O Lord, be upon us,*
 as we have put our trust in you.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 12:1-5]:

Samuel said to all Israel, 'I have listened to you in all that you have said to me, and
have set a king over you. See, it is the king who leads you now; I am old and grey, but
my sons are with you. I have led you from my youth until this day. Here I am; testify
against me before the Lord and before his anointed. Whose ox have I taken? Or whose
donkey have I taken? Or whom have I defrauded? Whom have I oppressed? Or from
whose hand have I taken a bribe to blind my eyes with it? Testify against me and I will
restore it to you.' They said, 'You have not defrauded us or oppressed us or taken
anything from the hand of anyone.' He said to them, 'The Lord is witness against you,
and his anointed is witness this day, that you have not found anything in my hand.'
And they said, 'He is witness.'

HYMN
Words: Gerard Moultrie (1829-1885)
Tune: Sherbourne

Bishop of the souls of men,
when the foeman's step is nigh,
when the wolf lays wait by night
for the lambs continually,
watch, O Lord, about us keep,
guard us, Shepherd of the sheep.

When the hireling flees away,
caring only for his gold,
and the gate unguarded stands
at the entrance to the fold,
stand, O Lord, thy flock before,
thou the Guardian, thou the Door.

Lord, whose guiding finger ruled
in the casting of the lot,
that thy Church might fill the throne
of the lost Iscariot,
in our trouble ever thus
stand, good Master, nigh to us.

When the saints their order take
in the new Jerusalem,
and Matthias stands elect,
give us part and lot with him,
where in thine own dwelling-place
we may witness face to face.

SECOND READING [Acts 1:15-end]:

In those days Peter stood up among the believers
(together the crowd numbered about one hundred and twenty
people) and said, 'Friends, the scripture had to be
fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit through David foretold
concerning Judas, who became a guide for those who
arrested Jesus  for he was numbered among us and was
allotted his share in this ministry.' (Now this man
acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness; and
falling headlong,  he burst open in the middle and all
his bowels gushed out. This became known to all the
residents of Jerusalem, so that the field was called in
their language Hakeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) 'For
it is written in the book of Psalms,
"Let his homestead become desolate,
   and let there be no one to live in it";
and
"Let another take his position of overseer."
So one of the men who have accompanied us throughout the
time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he
was taken up from us one of these must become a witness
with us to his resurrection.' So they proposed two,
Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus,
and Matthias. Then they prayed and said, 'Lord, you know
everyone's heart. Show us which one of these two you have
chosen to take the place in this ministry and apostleship
from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place.'
And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on
Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles.

Let us pray to God,
whose word was entrusted to the Apostles
and has spread to all the world.

Empower your Church
to proclaim the saving message of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Give us courage and strength
to spread the Gospel in places
where it has not been preached.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Bless us in our personal lives
that we may live fully according to Jesus' example.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Open our eyes to your Word in the Holy Scriptures
that we find new paths of understanding.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Remember, in your mercy, those who have gone before
marked with the sign of faith and led by the Gospel.
Lord of mercy,
spread your word.

Feed your people, O Lord,
with your holy Word
and free us from the temptations
which lead us away from you
that, being filled with your mercy,
we may be admitted to your holy presence;

who in the place of Judas chose your faithful servant Matthias
to be numbered among the Twelve:
Grant that your Church, being delivered from false apostles,
may always be guided and governed by faithful and true pastors;

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Philip Newell and the
closing sentence is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,