OREMUS: 13 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon May 12 17:00:32 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, May 13, 2008

by whose word the heavens were formed
and the earth was brought forth from the waters.
The reflection of your glory
shines in each created thing,
and, though earth's flowering fades,
you call life out of death
into the light that endures forever,

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of the Messiah (Isaiah 9.2,3b,4a,6,7)

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
upon them the light has dawned.
You have increased their joy and given them great gladness;
they rejoiced before you as with joy at the harvest.
For you have shattered the yoke that burdened them;
the collar that lay heavy on their shoulders.
For to us a child is born and to us a son is given,
and the government will be upon his shoulder.
And his name will be called: Wonderful Counsellor;
the Mighty God;
the Everlasting Father; the Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish and uphold it with justice and righteousness.
>From this time forth and for evermore;
the zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

FIRST READING [Numbers 11:16-17, 24-30]:

The Lord said to Moses, 'Gather for me seventy of the elders of Israel, whom you
know to be the elders of the people and officers over them; bring them to the tent of
meeting, and have them take their place there with you. I will come down and talk
with you there; and I will take some of the spirit that is on you and put it on them; and
they shall bear the burden of the people along with you so that you will not bear it all
by yourself.
So Moses went out and told the people the words of the Lord; and he gathered
seventy elders of the people, and placed them all around the tent. Then the Lord came
down in the cloud and spoke to him, and took some of the spirit that was on him and
put it on the seventy elders; and when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied.
But they did not do so again.
Two men remained in the camp, one named Eldad, and the other named Medad, and
the spirit rested on them; they were among those registered, but they had not gone out
to the tent, and so they prophesied in the camp. And a young man ran and told Moses,
'Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.' And Joshua son of Nun, the assistant
of Moses, one of his chosen men, said, 'My lord Moses, stop them!' But Moses said
to him, 'Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the Lord's people were prophets,
and that the Lord would put his spirit on them!' And Moses and the elders of Israel
returned to the camp.

HYMN
Words:
Tune:

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t698.html

SECOND READING [Acts 4:23-end]:

After Peter and John were released, they went to their friends and reported what the
chief priests and the elders had said to them. When they heard it, they raised their
voices together to God and said, 'Sovereign Lord, who made the heaven and the
earth, the sea, and everything in them, it is you who said by the Holy Spirit through
our ancestor David, your servant:
"Why did the Gentiles rage,
   and the peoples imagine vain things?
The kings of the earth took their stand,
   and the rulers have gathered together
     against the Lord and against his Messiah."
For in this city, in fact, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the
peoples of Israel, gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you
anointed, to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place. And
now, Lord, look at their threats, and grant to your servants to speak your word with
all boldness, while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are
performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus.' When they had prayed, the
place in which they were gathered together was shaken; and they were all filled with
the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God with boldness.

Now the whole group of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one
claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in
common. With great power the apostles gave their testimony to the resurrection of the
Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all. There was not a needy person among
them, for as many as owned lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of
what was sold. They laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any
had need. There was a Levite, a native of Cyprus, Joseph, to whom the apostles gave
the name Barnabas (which means 'son of encouragement'). He sold a field that
belonged to him, then brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

Baptizing God,
you have plunged us into the waters as death to sin
and have raised us to be alive to you in joy and service.

For all whose eager and resolute living in you
makes them saints to us:
We thank you, Lord.

For the community made holy in Christ,
the living and the dead, the near and the far away:
We thank you, Lord.

For an awareness of our kinship
to holy and just men and women:
We thank you, Lord.

For reminding us that perfection in you is a journey
of consistent love to you and to others:
We thank you, Lord.

For sustaining us in the faithful use of means of grace,
that we may resolve to live in your love and peace:
We thank you, Lord.

Lord Jesus Christ,
raise us with you
that we may know the mystery of life,
and that we may see the heavenly in the earthly. Amen.

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Philip Newell and the
closing sentence is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The collect is based on a prayer by Charles Kingsley.