OREMUS: 12 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun May 11 19:31:20 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, May 12, 2008

by whose word the heavens were formed
and the earth was brought forth from the waters.
The reflection of your glory
shines in each created thing,
and, though earth's flowering fades,
you call life out of death
into the light that endures forever,

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and loving-kindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.
Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2.2-7,9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress
and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.
You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me,
all your waves and billows passed over me.
Then I said, I am driven away from your sight;
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?
The waters closed in over me,
the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.
I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever,
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.
As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God,
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.
With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay;
deliverance belongs to the Lord!

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 31:31-34]:

The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the
house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant that I made
with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of
Egypt a covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, says the Lord. But
this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the
Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be
their God, and they shall be my people. No longer shall they teach one another, or say
to each other, 'Know the Lord', for they shall all know me, from the least of them to
the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and remember their sin no
more.

HYMN
Words: Augustus Montague Toplady (1740-1778)
Tune: Cleveland

A debtor to mercy alone,
of covenant-mercy I sing;
nor fear, with thy righteousness on,
my person and offering to bring.
The terrors of law and of God
with me can have nothing to do;
my Saviour's obedience and blood
hide all my transgressions from view.

The work which his goodness began,
the arm of his strength will complete;
his promise is Yes and Amen
and never was forfeited yet.
Things future, nor things that are now,
nor all things below and above,
can make him his purpose forego
or sever my soul from his love.

My name from the palms of his hands
eternity will not erase;
impressed on his heart it remains
in marks of indelible grace.
Yes, I to the end shall endure
as sure as the earnest is given;
more happy, but not more secure,
the glorified spirits in heaven.

SECOND READING [Acts 4:5-6,13-22]:

Now when the rulers, elders, and scribes assembled in Jerusalem, with Annas the high
priest, Caiaphas, John, and Alexander, and all who were of the high-priestly family, they
saw the boldness of Peter and John and realized that they were uneducated and ordinary
men, they were amazed and recognized them as companions of Jesus. When they saw
the man who had been cured standing beside them, they had nothing to say in
opposition. So they ordered them to leave the council while they discussed the matter
with one another. They said, 'What will we do with them? For it is obvious to all who
live in Jerusalem that a notable sign has been done through them; we cannot deny it. But
to keep it from spreading further among the people, let us warn them to speak no more
to anyone in this name.' So they called them and ordered them not to speak or teach at
all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered them, 'Whether it is right in God's
sight to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge; for we cannot keep from
speaking about what we have seen and heard.' After threatening them again, they let
them go, finding no way to punish them because of the people, for all of them praised
God for what had happened. For the man on whom this sign of healing had been
performed was more than forty years old.

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life's goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

O Lord,
increase in us faith and devotion;
replenish our hearts with all goodness,
and by your great mercy keep us in the same.
Give us godly zeal in prayer,
true humility in prosperity,
perfect patience in adversity,
and continual joy in the Holy Spirit;
for the sake of Jesus Christ, our only Lord and Savior. Amen.

Savior,
send us to earth's ends with water and words
and startle us with the grace, love, and communion
of your unity in diversity,
that we may live to the praise of your majestic Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Philip Newell and the
closing sentence is adapted from _Revised Common Lectionary Prayers_,

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The collect is by William Laud.