OREMUS: 11 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 10 19:24:39 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, May 11, 2008
The Day of Pentecost

Blessed are you, God of power and majesty,
this day we give you thanks
because in fulfilment of your promise
you pour out your Spirit upon us,
filling us with your gifts, leading us into all truth,
and uniting peoples of many tongues in the confession of one faith.
Your Spirit gives us grace to call you Father,
to proclaim your gospel to all nations
and to serve you as a royal priesthood.

Great is the Lord and highly to be praised;*
 in the city of our God is his holy hill.
Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth,
   is the hill of Zion,*
 the very centre of the world
   and the city of the great king.
God is in her citadels;*
 he is known to be her sure refuge.
Behold, the kings of the earth assembled*
 and marched forward together.
They looked and were astounded;*
 they retreated and fled in terror.
Trembling seized them there;*
 they writhed like a woman in childbirth,
   like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
As we have heard, so have we seen,
   in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God;*
 God has established her for ever.
We have waited in silence
   on your loving-kindness, O God,*
 in the midst of your temple.
Your praise, like your name, O God,
   reaches to the world's end;*
 your right hand is full of justice.
Let Mount Zion be glad
   and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements.
Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her;*
 count the number of her towers.
Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds;*
 that you may tell those who come after.
This God is our God for ever and ever;*
 he shall be our guide for evermore.

Psalm 122

I was glad when they said to me,*
 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'
Now our feet are standing*
 within your gates, O Jerusalem.
Jerusalem is built as a city*
 that is at unity with itself.
To which the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord,*
 the assembly of Israel, to praise the name of the Lord.
For there are the thrones of judgement,*
 the thrones of the house of David.
Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:*
 'May they prosper who love you.
'Peace be within your walls*
 and quietness within your towers.
'For my family and companions' sake,*
 I pray for your prosperity.
'Because of the house of the Lord our God,*
 I will seek to do you good.'

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8:2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.

All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.

The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;

If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.

These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.

For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Wisdom 7:22-8:1]:

There is in Wisdom a spirit that is intelligent, holy,
unique, manifold, subtle,
mobile, clear, unpolluted,
distinct, invulnerable, loving the good, keen,
irresistible, beneficent, humane,
steadfast, sure, free from anxiety,
all-powerful, overseeing all,
and penetrating through all spirits
that are intelligent, pure, and altogether subtle.
For wisdom is more mobile than any motion;
because of her pureness she pervades and penetrates all things.
For she is a breath of the power of God,
and a pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty;
therefore nothing defiled gains entrance into her.
For she is a reflection of eternal light,
a spotless mirror of the working of God,
and an image of his goodness.
Although she is but one, she can do all things,
and while remaining in herself, she renews all things;
in every generation she passes into holy souls
and makes them friends of God, and prophets;
for God loves nothing so much as the person who lives with wisdom.
She is more beautiful than the sun,
and excels every constellation of the stars.
Compared with the light she is found to be superior,
for it is succeeded by the night,
but against wisdom evil does not prevail.

She reaches mightily from one end of the earth to the other,
and she orders all things well.

HYMN
Words: Brian Wren (c)
Tune: University College
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t487.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t487.html

There's a spirit in the air,
telling Christians everywhere:
"Praise the love that Christ revealed,
living, working in our world."

Lose your shyness, find your tongue;
tell the world what God has done:
God in Christ has come to stay,
we can see his power today.

When believers break the bread
when a hungry child is fed:
praise the love that Christ revealed
living, working in our world.

Still his Spirit leads the fight,
seeing wrong and setting right:
God in Christ has come to stay,
we can see his power today.

When a stranger's not alone,
where the homeless find a home,
praise the love that Christ revealed,
living, working in our world.

May the Spirit fill our praise,
guide our thoughts and change our ways:
God in Christ has come to stay,
we can see his power today.

There's a Spirit in the air,
calling people everywhere:
praise the love that Christ revealed,
living, working in our world.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 2]:

When I came to you, brothers and sisters, I did not come proclaiming the mystery of God to you
in lofty words or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and him
crucified. And I came to you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling. My speech and my
proclamation were not with plausible words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit and
of power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God.
Yet among the mature we do speak wisdom, though it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers
of this age, who are doomed to perish. But we speak God's wisdom, secret and hidden, which
God decreed before the ages for our glory. None of the rulers of this age understood this; for if
they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But, as it is written,
'What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
   nor the human heart conceived,
what God has prepared for those who love him'
these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches everything, even the
depths of God. For what human being knows what is truly human except the human spirit that is
within? So also no one comprehends what is truly God's except the Spirit of God. Now we have
received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit that is from God, so that we may understand the
gifts bestowed on us by God. And we speak of these things in words not taught by human
wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual things to those who are spiritual.

Those who are unspiritual do not receive the gifts of God's Spirit, for they are foolishness to
them, and they are unable to understand them because they are discerned spiritually. Those who
are spiritual discern all things, and they are themselves subject to no one else's scrutiny.
'For who has known the mind of the Lord
   so as to instruct him?'
But we have the mind of Christ.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Let us pray especially for the people of Burma. We bring before the Lord those who have lost
everything in the disaster. In particular we pray for those who have been bereaved and are feeling
totally abandoned. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer..

We ask that God will bless all those who work in the many aid agencies which are trying to help
the people of Burma. May they persevere in their efforts and not be discouraged. Lord, in your
goodness, hear our prayer..

We bring before the Lord those who are ministering to the needs of refugees and displaced
persons throughout the world. May they be confident even as they are faced by many and massive
problems. May they be ministers of God's love wherever they are. Lord hear us, hear our
prayer..

We pray that we may be concerned for those more in need than ourselves. Concern for action on
poverty is a daily call from the Lord to care for those who are most vulnerable in our
communities. Let us pray for all those who work in civil society to make sure help is available
where it is needed. Lord, hear us, hear our prayer..

Let us pray for those elected to serve the people of Zimbabwe. May they find ways of working
together for the good of all their people. Let us bring before the Lord those who are most in need
at this time, men, women and children. Lord, in your goodness, hear our
prayer..

We pray for the peoples of Gaza and all who live in the Holy Land. Especially we bring before the
Lord the needs of all who have to carry the greatest burdens of violence and unrest. May those
who can bring peace be encouraged and supported in their efforts. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer..

We pray for God to fill us with his Spirit.

Generous God, we thank you for the power of your Holy Spirit.
May we be strengthened to serve you better.

We thank you for the wisdom of your Holy Spirit.
Make us wise to understand your will.

We thank you for the peace of your Holy Spirit.
Keep us confident of your love, wherever you call us.

We thank you for the healing of your Holy Spirit.
Bring reconciliation and wholeness
 where there is division, sickness and sorrow.

We thank you for the gifts of your Holy Spirit.
Equip us for the work which you have given us.

We thank you for the fruit of your Holy Spirit.
Reveal in our lives the love of Jesus.

Almighty God,
on this day you opened the way of eternal life
to every race and nation
by the promised gift of your Holy Spirit:
Shed abroad this gift throughout the world
by the preaching of the Gospel,
that it may reach to the ends of the earth;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving (adapted) and the canticle are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Hymn(c) 1969, revised 1995
by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
All rights reserved. Used by permission.
In US, Canada, Australia & New Zealand:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk

The intercession and closing sentence are from _New Patterns for
Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

of The Episcopal Church_.