OREMUS: 10 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 9 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, May 10, 2008

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

Psalm 133

O how good and pleasant it is,*
 when a family lives together in unity!
It is like fine oil upon the head*
 that runs down upon the beard,
Upon the beard of Aaron,*
 and runs down upon the collar of his robe.
It is like the dew of Hermon*
 that falls upon the hills of Zion.
For there the Lord has ordained the blessing:*
 life for evermore.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15.3,4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds, .
Lord God the Almighty.
Just and true are your ways, .
O ruler of the nations.
Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord? .
for you alone are holy.
All nations shall come and worship in your presence: .
for your just dealings have been revealed.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 16:9-12]:

You shall count seven weeks; begin to count the seven weeks from the time the sickle
is first put to the standing grain. Then you shall keep the festival of weeks to the Lord
your God, contributing a freewill-offering in proportion to the blessing that you have
received from the Lord your God. Rejoice before the Lord your God you and your
sons and your daughters, your male and female slaves, the Levites resident in your
towns, as well as the strangers, the orphans, and the widows who are among you at
the place that the Lord your God will choose as a dwelling for his name. Remember
that you were a slave in Egypt, and diligently observe these statutes.

HYMN
Words: Timothy Dudley-Smith (c) Hope Publishing. Used with permission.
Tune: Repton

In power unseen upon us rest,
your gracious gifts impart:
a mind renewed, a spirit blessed,
a life where Christ is manifest,
an understanding heart.

Be present, Spirit of the Lord,
let sounds of earth be dumb:
the Father's love be shed abroad,
the dew of blessing on us poured
O silent Spirit, come!

Love's sovereign work of grace fulfill
our souls to Christ incline,
intent to do the Father's will
and stand by faith before him still
in righteousness divine.

O Spirit come, and with us stay;
make every heart your home.
So work in us that we who pray
may walk with Christ in wisdom's way:
O Holy Spirit, come!

SECOND READING [Romans 8:12-18]:

So then, brothers and sisters, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the
flesh  for if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put
to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God
are children of God. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear,
but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, 'Abba! Father!' it is that very
Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then
heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ if, in fact, we suffer with him so that
we may also be glorified with him.
I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the
glory about to be revealed to us.

Christ has gathered the church in unity through the Spirit.
With sure hope, let us pray.

Maker of all things,
in the beginning you created heaven and earth.
In the fullness of time, you restored all things in Christ.
Renew our world, in this day, with your grace and mercy.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Life of the world,
you breathed life into the flesh you created.
Now, by your Spirit, breathe new life into the children of earth.
Turn hatred into love, sorrow into joy, and war into peace.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Lover of concord,
you desire the unity of all Christians.
Set aflame the whole Church with the fire of your Spirit.
Unite us to stand in the world as a sign of your love.
Lord, hear our prayer.

God of compassion,
through your Spirit you supply every human need.
Heal the sick, and comfort the distressed.
Befriend the friendless, and help the helpless.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Source of peace,
your Spirit restores our anxious spirits.
In our labor, give us rest;
in our temptation, strength;
in our sadness, consolation.
Lord, hear our prayer.

Holy Trinity, God in perfect Unity,
send your life-giving blessing
upon the brothers and sisters of Christ,
that they may live for evermore with joy
the life of unity that springs from you,
God, to all eternity. Amen.

Being made one by the power of the Spirit,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

_Common WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.