OREMUS: 9 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu May 8 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, May 9, 2008

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.
   Alleluia!

A Song of God's Children (Romans 8.2,14,15b-19)

The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
has set us free from the law of sin and death.
All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God;
for we have received the Spirit that enables us to cry, 'Abba, Father'.
The Spirit himself bears witness that we are children of God
and if God's children, then heirs of God;
If heirs of God, then fellow-heirs with Christ;
since we suffer with him now, that we may be glorified with him.
These sufferings that we now endure
are not worth comparing to the glory that shall be revealed.
For the creation waits with eager longing
for the revealing of the children of God.

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 22:32-34,44-51]:

For who is God, but the Lord?
   And who is a rock, except our God?
The God who has girded me with strength
   has opened wide my path.
He made my feet like the feet of deer,
   and set me secure on the heights.
You delivered me from strife with the peoples;
   you kept me as the head of the nations;
   people whom I had not known served me.
Foreigners came cringing to me;
   as soon as they heard of me, they obeyed me.
Foreigners lost heart,
   and came trembling out of their strongholds.

The Lord lives! Blessed be my rock,
   and exalted be my God, the rock of my salvation,
the God who gave me vengeance
   and brought down peoples under me,
who brought me out from my enemies;
   you exalted me above my adversaries,
   you delivered me from the violent.

For this I will extol you, O Lord, among the nations,
   and sing praises to your name.
He is a tower of salvation for his king,
   and shows steadfast love to his anointed,
   to David and his descendants for ever.

HYMN
Words: Latin, seventh century; trans. John Mason Neale, 1851
Music: Westminster Abbey,

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c063.html

Christ is made the sure foundation,
Christ the head and cornerstone,
chosen of the Lord, and precious,
binding all the Church in one;
holy Zion's help for ever,
and her confidence alone.

All that dedicated city,
dearly loved of God on high,
in exultant jubilation
pours perpetual melody;
God the One in Three adoring
in glad hymns eternally.

To this temple, where we call thee,
come, O Lord of Hosts, today;
with thy wonted loving-kindness
hear thy servants as they pray,
and thy fullest benediction
shed within its walls alway.

Here vouchsafe to all thy servants
what they ask of thee of gain;
what they gain from thee, for ever
with the blessŠd to retain,
and hereafter in thy glory
evermore with thee to reign.

Laud and honor to the Father,
laud and honor to the Son,
laud and honor to the Spirit,
ever Three, and ever One,
consubstantial, co-eternal,
while unending ages run.

SECOND READING [Acts 4:1-12]:

While Peter and John were speaking to the people, the priests, the captain of the
temple, and the Sadducees came to them, much annoyed because they were teaching
the people and proclaiming that in Jesus there is the resurrection of the dead. So they
arrested them and put them in custody until the next day, for it was already evening.
But many of those who heard the word believed; and they numbered about five
thousand.
The next day their rulers, elders, and scribes assembled in Jerusalem, with Annas the
high priest, Caiaphas, John, and Alexander, and all who were of the high-priestly
family. When they had made the prisoners stand in their midst, they inquired, 'By what
power or by what name did you do this?' Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said
to them, 'Rulers of the people and elders, if we are questioned today because of a
good deed done to someone who was sick and are asked how this man has been
healed, let it be known to all of you, and to all the people of Israel, that this man is
standing before you in good health by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom
you crucified, whom God raised from the dead. This Jesus is
"the stone that was rejected by you, the builders;
   it has become the cornerstone."
There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among
mortals by which we must be saved.'

Holy Spirit, Creator,
in the beginning you moved over the waters.
>From your breath all creation drew life.
Without you, life turns to dust.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Counselor,
by your inspiration, the prophets spoke and acted in faith.
You clothed them in power to be bearers of your Word.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Power,
you came as fire to Jesus' disciples;
you gave them voice before the rulers of this world.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Sanctifier,
you created us children of God;
you make us the living temple of your presence;
you intercede within us with sighs too deep for words.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Giver of life,
you guide and make holy the church you create;
you give gifts:
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the spirit of counsel and fortitude,
the spirit of knowledge and piety,
the spirit of the fear of the Lord,
that the whole creation may become what you want it to be.
Come, Holy Spirit!

True and only Light,
from whom comes every good gift.
Send your Spirit into our lives
with the power of a mighty wind.
Open the horizons of our minds
by the flame of your wisdom.
Loosen our tongues to show your praise,
for only in your Spirit can we voice your words of peace
and acclaim Jesus as Lord. Amen.

Lord,
you shared the limits of our life
to save us from the snares of death;
may we have the courage to walk before you
in the land of the living,
and witness to your presence before all the people;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Being made one by the power of the Spirit,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

_Common WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.