OREMUS: 4 May 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 3 20:58:40 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, May 4, 2008

Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation,
to you be praise and glory for ever.
Your living Word brings light out of darkness
and daily your Spirit renews the face of the earth.
Christ, the true Lamb, his passion accomplished,
has been raised to the right hand of your majesty on high.
The pioneer of our faith has opened the way to heaven
and sends on us your promised Spirit.
Pour upon us the riches of your grace
that we, the first fruits of your new creation,
may bring forth the fruits of the Spirit
and reveal your glory in all the world.

The Lord is king; he has put on splendid apparel;*
 the Lord has put on his apparel
   and girded himself with strength.
He has made the whole world so sure*
 that it cannot be moved;
Ever since the world began,
   your throne has been established;*
 you are from everlasting.
The waters have lifted up, O Lord,
   the waters have lifted up their voice;*
 the waters have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the sound of many waters,
   mightier than the breakers of the sea,*
 mightier is the Lord who dwells on high.
Your testimonies are very sure,*
 and holiness adorns your house, O Lord,
   for ever and for evermore.

 sing to the Lord, all the whole earth.
Sing to the Lord and bless his name;*
 proclaim the good news of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations*
 and his wonders among all peoples.
For great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 he is more to be feared than all gods.
As for all the gods of the nations, they are but idols;*
 but it is the Lord who made the heavens.
O the majesty and magnificence of his presence!*
 O the power and the splendour of his sanctuary!
Ascribe to the Lord, you families of the peoples;*
 ascribe to the Lord honour and power.
Ascribe to the Lord the honour due to his name;*
 bring offerings and come into his courts.
Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness;*
 let the whole earth tremble before him.
Tell it out among the nations: 'The Lord is king!*
 he has made the world so firm that it cannot be moved;
   he will judge the peoples with equity.'
Let the heavens rejoice and let the earth be glad;
   let the sea thunder and all that is in it;*
 let the field be joyful and all that is therein.
Then shall all the trees of the wood shout for joy
   before the Lord when he comes,*
 when he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness*
 and the peoples with his truth.

A Song of Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36.24-26,28b)

I will take you from the nations,
and gather you from all the countries.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you,
and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses.
A new heart I will give you,
and put a new spirit within you,
And I will remove from your body the heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh.
You shall be my people,
and I will be your God.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Wisdom 9]:

'O God of my ancestors and Lord of mercy,
who have made all things by your word,
and by your wisdom have formed humankind
to have dominion over the creatures you have made,
and rule the world in holiness and righteousness,
and pronounce judgement in uprightness of soul,
give me the wisdom that sits by your throne,
and do not reject me from among your servants.
For I am your servant, the son of your servant-girl,
a man who is weak and short-lived,
with little understanding of judgement and laws;
for even one who is perfect among human beings
will be regarded as nothing without the wisdom that comes from you.
You have chosen me to be king of your people
and to be judge over your sons and daughters.
You have given command to build a temple on your holy mountain,
and an altar in the city of your habitation,
a copy of the holy tent that you prepared from the beginning.
With you is wisdom, she who knows your works
and was present when you made the world;
she understands what is pleasing in your sight
and what is right according to your commandments.
Send her forth from the holy heavens,
and from the throne of your glory send her,
that she may labour at my side,
and that I may learn what is pleasing to you.
For she knows and understands all things,
and she will guide me wisely in my actions
and guard me with her glory.
Then my works will be acceptable,
and I shall judge your people justly,
and shall be worthy of the throne of my father.
For who can learn the counsel of God?
Or who can discern what the Lord wills?
For the reasoning of mortals is worthless,
and our designs are likely to fail;
for a perishable body weighs down the soul,
and this earthy tent burdens the thoughtful mind.
We can hardly guess at what is on earth,
and what is at hand we find with labour;
but who has traced out what is in the heavens?
Who has learned your counsel,
unless you have given wisdom
and sent your holy spirit from on high?
And thus the paths of those on earth were set right,
and people were taught what pleases you,
and were saved by wisdom.'

HYMN
Words: Peter Abelard, twelfth century; trans. John Mason Neale, 1854
Tune: O quanta qualia
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o694.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o
/o694.html

O what their joy and their glory must be,
those endless Sabbaths the bless d ones see;
crown for the valiant, to weary ones rest:
God shall be All, and in all ever blest.

What are the Monarch, his court and his throne?
What are the peace and the joy that they own?
O that the blest ones, who in it have share,
all that they feel could as fully declare!

Truly, "Jerusalem" name we that shore,
city of peace that brings joy evermore;
wish and fulfillment are not severed there,
nor do things prayed for come short of the prayer.

There, where no troubles distraction can bring,
we the sweet anthems of Zion shall sing;
while for thy grace, Lord, their voices of praise
thy bless d people eternally raise.

Now, in the meantime, with hearts raised on high,
we for that country must yearn and must sigh,
seeking Jerusalem, dear native land,
through our long exile on Babylon's strand.

Low before him with our praises we fall,
of whom and in whom and through whom are all;
of whom, the Father; and in whom, the Son;
and through whom, the Spirit, with them ever One.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 1]:

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are in Ephesus
and are faithful in Christ Jesus: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the
Lord Jesus Christ.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, just as he chose us in Christ before
the foundation of the world to be holy and blameless before him in love. He destined
us for adoption as his children through Jesus Christ, according to the good pleasure of
his will, to the praise of his glorious grace that he freely bestowed on us in the
Beloved. In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our
trespasses, according to the riches of his grace that he lavished on us. With all wisdom
and insight he has made known to us the mystery of his will, according to his good
pleasure that he set forth in Christ, as a plan for the fullness of time, to gather up all
things in him, things in heaven and things on earth. In Christ we have also obtained an
inheritance, having been destined according to the purpose of him who accomplishes
all things according to his counsel and will, so that we, who were the first to set our
hope on Christ, might live for the praise of his glory. In him you also, when you had
heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and had believed in him, were
marked with the seal of the promised Holy Spirit; this is the pledge of our inheritance
towards redemption as God's own people, to the praise of his glory.
I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love towards all the saints, and
for this reason I do not cease to give thanks for you as I remember you in my prayers.
I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit
of wisdom and revelation as you come to know him, so that, with the eyes of your
heart enlightened, you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what
are the riches of his glorious inheritance among the saints, and what is the
immeasurable greatness of his power for us who believe, according to the working of
his great power. God put this power to work in Christ when he raised him from the
dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and
authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in
this age but also in the age to come. And he has put all things under his feet and has
made him the head over all things for the church, which is his body, the fullness of him
who fills all in all.

This is World Communications Day   an opportunity to praise God for the gift of
communication and the many ways we have of sharing the good news of the Gospel.
We pray that those responsible for the use of the mass-media will seek only the truth
and the right use of God's gifts. Lord, in your goodness, hear our
prayer.

Let us pray for those elected to serve the people of Zimbabwe. May they find ways of
working together for the good of all their people. Let us bring before the Lord those
who are most in need at this time, men, women and children. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

We bring before the Lord those who are ministering to the needs of refugees and
displaced persons throughout the world. May they not be discouraged by the
magnitude of their task. May they be ministers of hope where hope is gone. Lord hear
us, hear our prayer.

This week is the sixtieth anniversary of the first celebration of World Red Cross Day
and Red Crescent Day. We praise and thank God for those who have worked tirelessly
to help people in need. May they rejoice in sharing the compassion of our loving God.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for fathers and mothers who are anxious for the safety of their children. We
pray also for those young people who feel afraid for their own safety. May all in our
community, young and old, work together to build and keep a safe environment for all.
Lord, in your goodness, hear our prayer.

We ask God's blessing on all families under strain. Let us pray for the family of
Madeleine McCann that they may find comfort and strength in the love of those
around them. Lord, in your goodness, hear our prayer.

We pray for the peoples of Gaza. Especially we bring before the Lord the needs of all
who have to carry the greatest burdens of violence and unrest. May those who can
bring peace be encouraged and supported in their efforts. Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

O God, the King of glory,
you have exalted your only Son Jesus Christ
with great triumph to your kingdom in heaven:
Do not leave us comfortless,
but send us your Holy Spirit to strengthen us,
and exalt us to that place
where our Savior Christ has gone before;
one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

Being made one by the power of the Spirit,

God of power,
may the boldness of your Spirit transform us,
may the gentleness of your Spirit lead us,
and may the gifts of your Spirit equip us
to serve and worship you now and always. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Common
WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council,
2000.

The intercession is from Redemptorist Publications. http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/

The closing sentence is from in _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c)
The Archbishops' Council, 2002.