OREMUS: 29 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Mar 28 17:02:40 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Satuday, March 29, 2008
Easter Saturday

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17)

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and its rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 31:10-14]:

Hear the word of the Lord, O nations,
   and declare it in the coastlands far away;
say, 'He who scattered Israel will gather him,
   and will keep him as a shepherd a flock.'
For the Lord has ransomed Jacob,
   and has redeemed him from hands too strong for him.
They shall come and sing aloud on the height of Zion,
   and they shall be radiant over the goodness of the Lord,
over the grain, the wine, and the oil,
   and over the young of the flock and the herd;
their life shall become like a watered garden,
   and they shall never languish again.
Then shall the young women rejoice in the dance,
   and the young men and the old shall be merry.
I will turn their mourning into joy,
   I will comfort them, and give them gladness for sorrow.
I will give the priests their fill of fatness,
   and my people shall be satisfied with my bounty,
says the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Latin;
trans. Elizabeth Rundle Charles (1828-1896), alt.

Music: W zlobie lezy, Fisk of Gloucester
Tune:

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l136.html

Lift your voice rejoicing, Mary,
Christ has risen from the tomb;
on the cross a suffering victim,
now as victor he is come.
Whom your tears in death were mourning,
welcome with your smiles returning.
Let your alleluias rise!

Raise your weary eyelids, Mary,
see him living evermore;
see his countenance how gracious,
see the wounds for you he bore.
All the glory of the morning
pales before those wounds redeeming.
Let your alleluias rise!

Life is yours for ever, Mary,
for your light is come once more
and the strength of death is broken;
now your songs of joy outpour.
Ended now the night of sorrow,
love has brought the blessed morrow.
Let your alleluias rise.

SECOND READING [John 21:15-end]:

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, 'Simon son of John, do
you love me more than these?' He said to him, 'Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.'
Jesus said to him, 'Feed my lambs.' A second time he said to him, 'Simon son of John,
do you love me?' He said to him, 'Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.' Jesus said to
him, 'Tend my sheep.' He said to him the third time, 'Simon son of John, do you love
me?' Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, 'Do you love me?' And he
said to him, 'Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.' Jesus said to him,
'Feed my sheep. Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten
your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will
stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you
where you do not wish to go.' (He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he
would glorify God.) After this he said to him, 'Follow me.'
Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them; he was the one
who had reclined next to Jesus at the supper and had said, 'Lord, who is it that is
going to betray you?' When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, 'Lord, what about him?'
Jesus said to him, 'If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?
Follow me!' So the rumour spread in the community that this disciple would not die.
Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, 'If it is my will that he remain
until I come, what is that to you?'
This is the disciple who is testifying to these things and has written them, and we know
that his testimony is true. But there are also many other things that Jesus did; if every
one of them were written down, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the
books that would be written.

Jesus, Light of the world,
bring the light and peace of your Gospel
to the nations.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Bread of life,
give food to the hungry
and nourish us all with your Word.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, our Way, our Truth, our Life,
be with us and all who follow in the way.
Deepen our appreciation of your truth
and fill us with your life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, Good Shepherd,
who gave your life for the sheep,
recover the straggler,
bind up the injured,
strengthen the sick
and lead the healthy and strong to new pastures.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Jesus, the Resurrection and the Life,
we give you thanks for all who have lived and believed in you.
Raise us with them to eternal life.
Lord of life,
hear our prayer.

Godof abudant grace,
throughout the world you are increasing
the number of those who believe in you.
Look upon the people you call to serve you,
and as in baptism you give them new birth,
so clothe them with eternal life on high.
We make this prayer through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.