OREMUS: 25 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Mar 24 17:00:16 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Easter Tuesday

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
   but to your name give glory;*
 because of your love and because of your faithfulness.
Why should the heathen say,*
 'Where then is their God?'
Our God is in heaven;*
 whatever he wills to do he does.
Their idols are silver and gold,*
 the work of human hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;*
 eyes have they, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;*
 noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
   feet, but they cannot walk;*
 they make no sound with their throat.
Those who make them are like them,*
 and so are all who put their trust in them.
O Israel, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord;*
 he is their help and their shield.
The Lord has been mindful of us and he will bless us;*
 he will bless the house of Israel;
   he will bless the house of Aaron;
He will bless those who fear the Lord,*
 both small and great together.
May the Lord increase you more and more,*
 you and your children after you.
May you be blessed by the Lord,*
 the maker of heaven and earth.
The heaven of heavens is the Lord's,*
 but he entrusted the earth to its peoples.
The dead do not praise the Lord,*
 nor all those who go down into silence;
But we will bless the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.
   Alleluia!

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-5,18,19,21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!
By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you,
Who are being protected by the power of God through faith,
for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold
But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.
Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 30:18-21]:

Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you;
   therefore he will rise up to show mercy to you.
For the Lord is a God of justice;
   blessed are all those who wait for him.

 Truly, O people in Zion, inhabitants of Jerusalem, you shall weep no more. He will
surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry; when he hears it, he will answer
you. Though the Lord may give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction,
yet your Teacher will not hide himself any more, but your eyes shall see your Teacher.
And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a
word behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'

HYMN
Words: Edna Grant   1965, Ren. 1993 by The Hymn Society Used with permission.
Tune: Foundation

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w015.html

Walk softly in springtime, to hear the grass sing
its whispering carols to Jesus our king;
to see the new flowers bright colors display;
to tell all the children of glad Easter day.

Sing gently in springtime, and join with the birds,
who warble their music, a song without words,
that floats through the air and that reaches the sky,
a message of love to the Father on high.

Praise gladly in springtime when earth seems to glow
with new life and color in all things that grow;
for all nature's children are happy to say,
"Rejoice, for the Savior is risen today."

SECOND READING [John 20:11-18]:

Mary stood weeping outside the tomb. As she wept, she bent over to look into the
tomb; and she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying,
one at the head and the other at the feet. They said to her, 'Woman, why are you
weeping?' She said to them, 'They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know
where they have laid him.' When she had said this, she turned round and saw Jesus
standing there, but she did not know that it was Jesus. Jesus said to her, 'Woman, why
are you weeping? For whom are you looking?' Supposing him to be the gardener, she
said to him, 'Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I
will take him away.' Jesus said to her, 'Mary!' She turned and said to him in Hebrew,
'Rabbouni!' (which means Teacher). Jesus said to her, 'Do not hold on to me, because
I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, "I am
ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God." ' Mary
Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, 'I have seen the Lord'; and she told
them that he had said these things to her.

On this day that the Lord has made, let us give God the glory
and pray for the people he has redeemed.

That we may live as those who believe
in the triumph of the cross:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That all people may receive the good news of his victory:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those born to new life in the waters of baptism
may know the power of his resurrection:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That those who suffer pain and anguish may find healing and peace
in the wounds of Christ:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

That in the undying love of Christ,
we may have union with all who have died:
Risen Lord, hear our prayer.

Let us join our voices with the saints in proclaiming
that Christ has given us the victory:

Gracious God,
on this feast of Christ's glory
you touch us with your healing power.
Raise up what is dead in us,
and support the new life you have given,
so that we may be truly free
to experience the joy of heaven
which even now we taste on earth.
We make this prayer through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

The intercession is from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray), (c) The Society of

The collect is by Alan Griffiths.
The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.