OREMUS: 24 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 23 20:50:33 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, March 24, 2008
Monday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26; 22.1,2b,d,3b,4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.
And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it, .
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.
By its light the nations shall walk, .
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.
Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night; .
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.
I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal, .
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.
And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month, .
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.
The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him; .
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Song of Solomon 1:1-2:7]:

The Song of Songs, which is Solomon's.

Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth!
For your love is better than wine,
   your anointing oils are fragrant,
your name is perfume poured out;
   therefore the maidens love you.
Draw me after you, let us make haste.
   The king has brought me into his chambers.
We will exult and rejoice in you;
   we will extol your love more than wine;
   rightly do they love you.

I am black and beautiful,
   O daughters of Jerusalem,
like the tents of Kedar,
   like the curtains of Solomon.
Do not gaze at me because I am dark,
   because the sun has gazed on me.
My mother's sons were angry with me;
   they made me keeper of the vineyards,
   but my own vineyard I have not kept!
Tell me, you whom my soul loves,
   where you pasture your flock,
   where you make it lie down at noon;
for why should I be like one who is veiled
   beside the flocks of your companions?

If you do not know,
   O fairest among women,
follow the tracks of the flock,
   and pasture your kids
   beside the shepherds' tents.

I compare you, my love,
   to a mare among Pharaoh's chariots.
Your cheeks are comely with ornaments,
   your neck with strings of jewels.
We will make you ornaments of gold,
   studded with silver.

While the king was on his couch,
   my nard gave forth its fragrance.
My beloved is to me a bag of myrrh
   that lies between my breasts.
My beloved is to me a cluster of henna blossoms
   in the vineyards of En-gedi.

Ah, you are beautiful, my love;
   ah, you are beautiful;
   your eyes are doves.
Ah, you are beautiful, my beloved,
   truly lovely.
Our couch is green;
   the beams of our house are cedar,
   our rafters are pine.

I am a rose of Sharon,
   a lily of the valleys.

As a lily among brambles,
   so is my love among maidens.

As an apple tree among the trees of the wood,
   so is my beloved among young men.
With great delight I sat in his shadow,
   and his fruit was sweet to my taste.
He brought me to the banqueting house,
   and his intention towards me was love.
Sustain me with raisins,
   refresh me with apples;
   for I am faint with love.
O that his left hand were under my head,
   and that his right hand embraced me!
I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
   by the gazelles or the wild does:
do not stir up or awaken love
   until it is ready!

HYMN
Words: Archer Thompson Gurney, 1862
Tune: Resurrexit
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c071.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/
c071.html

Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
He hath burst his bonds in twain;
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
Alleluia! swell the strain!
For our gain he suffered loss
by divine decree;
he hath die upon the cross,
but our God is he.
Refrain:
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
He hath burst his bonds in twain;
Christ is risen! Christ is risen!
Alleluia! swell the strain!

See the chains of death are broken;
earth below and heaven above
joy in each amazing token
of his rising, Lord of love;
he for evermore shall reign
by the Father's side,
till he comes to earth again,
come to claim his Bride. Refrain

Glorious angels downward thronging
hail the Lord of all the skies;
heaven, with joy and holy longing
for the Word Incarnate, cries,
"Sun and stars and earth rejoice!
Christ is risen again!
All creation find a voice;
he o'er all shall reign." Refrain

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 15:1-11]:

Now I should remind you, brothers and sisters, of the good news that I proclaimed to
you, which you in turn received, in which also you stand, through which also you are
being saved, if you hold firmly to the message that I proclaimed to you unless you
have come to believe in vain.
For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ
died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, and that he was buried, and that he
was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures, and that he appeared to
Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers and
sisters at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died. Then he
appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to someone untimely born,
he appeared also to me. For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle,
because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and
his grace towards me has not been in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any
of them though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. Whether then it
was I or they, so we proclaim and so you have come to believe.

O Sun of righteousness,
you came forth from the dark night of death.
May you rise also in our hearts,
and enable us to contemplate the glories
of this sacred mystery,
that we may praise and glorify you for ever.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Prince of Life,
you take away the old leaven of malice and evil
that we may always walk with you and serve you:
Abide continually with us,
that in everything we do we may not forget the joy of your resurrection.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Paschal Lamb, offered for all,
you have taken away the sin of the world
and by rising again you have restored to us everlasting life.
Send laborers into the harvest
to proclaim the life you offer to those who believe.
We pray especially for
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Conqueror of death and captain of our salvation,
you overcame the darkness of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven for all believers.
We thank you for those saints whom you have already led
through death to life in the glory of heaven.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

Grant, we pray, Almighty God,
that we who celebrate with awe the Paschal feast
may be found worthy to attain to everlasting joys;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.