OREMUS: 18 March 2008

Steve Benner oremus at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 18 15:09:52 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Tuesday in Holy Week

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for through the saving passion of your Son,
the whole world has been called
to acknowledge and praise your majesty.
For in the wondrous power of the cross,
your judgment of this world is revealed
and the power of Christ crucified shines forth.

Hear my prayer, O God;*
  do not hide yourself from my petition.
Listen to me and answer me;*
  I have no peace, because of my cares.
I am shaken by the noise of the enemy*
  and by the pressure of the wicked;
For they have cast an evil spell upon me*
  and are set against me in fury.
My heart quakes within me,*
  and the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fear and trembling have come over me,*
  and horror overwhelms me.
And I said, ‘O that I had wings like a dove!*
  I would fly away and be at rest.
‘I would flee to a far-off place*
  and make my lodging in the wilderness.
‘I would hasten to escape*
  from the stormy wind and tempest.œ
Swallow them up, O Lord; confound their speech;*
  for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
Day and night the watch make their rounds upon her walls,*
  but trouble and misery are in the midst of her.
There is corruption at her heart;*
  her streets are never free of oppression and deceit.
For had it been an adversary who taunted me,
    then I could have borne it;*
  or had it been an enemy who vaunted himself against me,
    then I could have hidden from him.
But it was you, one after my own heart,*
  my companion, my own familiar friend.
We took sweet counsel together,*
  and walked with the throng in the house of God.
But I will call upon God,*
  and the Lord will deliver me.
In the evening, in the morning and at noonday
    I will complain and lament,*
  and he will hear my voice.
He will bring me safely back from the battle
    waged against me;*
  for there are many who fight me.
God, who is enthroned of old,
    will hear me and bring them down;*
  they never change; they do not fear God.
My companion stretched forth his hand against his comrade;*
  he has broken his covenant.
His speech is softer than butter,*
  but war is in his heart.
His words are smoother than oil,*
  but they are drawn swords.
Cast your burden upon the Lord and he will sustain you;*
  he will never let the righteous stumble.
For you will bring the bloodthirsty and deceitful*
  down to the pit of destruction, O God.
They shall not live out half their days,*
  but I will put my trust in you.

READING [Lamentations 3:1-18]:

I am one who has seen affliction
under the rod of God's a wrath;
he has driven and brought me
into darkness without any light;
against me alone he turns his hand,
again and again, all day long.
He has made my flesh and my skin waste away,
and broken my bones;
he has besieged and enveloped me
with bitterness and tribulation;
he has made me sit in darkness
like the dead of long ago.
He has walled me about so that I cannot escape;
he has put heavy chains on me;
though I call and cry for help,
he shuts out my prayer;
he has blocked my ways with hewn stones,
he has made my paths crooked.
He is a bear lying in wait for me,
a lion in hiding;
he led me off my way and tore me to pieces;
he has made me desolate;
he bent his bow and set me
as a mark for his arrow.
He shot into my vitals
the arrows of his quiver;
I have become the laughingstock of all my people,
the object of their taunt-songs all day long.
He has filled me with bitterness,
he has sated me with wormwood.
He has made my teeth grind on gravel,
and made me cower in ashes;
my soul is bereft of peace;
I have forgotten what happiness is;
so I say, "Gone is my glory,
and all that I had hoped for from the LORD."

HYMN
Words: Samuel Crossman (1624-1683), 1664
Tune: Love Unknown

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/m/m187.ht ml

My song is love unknown,
my Savior's love to me,
love to the loveless shown
that they might lovely be.
O who am I
that for my sake
my Lord should take
frail flesh and die?

He came from his blest throne
salvation to bestow,
but men made strange, and none
the longed-for Christ would know.
But O my friend,
my friend indeed,
who at my need,
his life did spend.

Sometimes they strew his way,
and his strong praises sing,
resounding all the day
hosannas to their King.
Then "Crucify!"
is all their breath,
and for his death
they thirst and cry.

Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
he gave the blind their sight.
Sweet injuries!
Yet they at these
themselves displease,
and 'gainst him rise.

They rise, and needs will have
my dear Lord made away;
a murderer they save,
the Prince of Life they slay.
Yet steadfast he
to suffering goes,
that he his foes
from thence might free.

Here might I stay and sing,
no story so divine:
never was love, dear King,
never was grief like thine.
This is my friend,
in whose sweet praise
I all my days
could gladly spend.

SECOND READING [Luke 22:24-53]:

A dispute also arose among them as to which one of them was to be regarded
as the greatest. But he said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it
over them; and those in authority over them are called benefactors. But not
so with you; rather the greatest among you must become like the youngest,
and the leader like one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at
the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one at the table? But I am
among you as one who serves. "You are those who have stood by me in my
trials; and I confer on you, just as my Father has conferred on me, a
kingdom, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and you
will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

"Simon, Simon, listen! Satan has demandede to sift all of you like wheat,
but I have prayed for you that your own faith may not fail; and you, when
once you have turned back, strengthen your brothers." And he said to him,
"Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death!" Jesus said, "I
tell you, Peter, the cock will not crow this day, until you have denied
three times that you know me."

He said to them, "When I sent you out without a purse, bag, or sandals, did
you lack anything?" They said, "No, not a thing." He said to them, "But
now, the one who has a purse must take it, and likewise a bag. And the one
who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you, this
scripture must be fulfilled in me, 'And he was counted among the lawless';
and indeed what is written about me is being fulfilled." They said, "Lord,
look, here are two swords." He replied, "It is enough."

He came out and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives; and the
disciples followed him. When he reached the place, he said to them, "Pray
that you may not come into the time of trial." Then he withdrew from them
about a stone's throw, knelt down, and prayed, "Father, if you are willing,
remove this cup from me; yet, not my will but yours be done." Then an angel
from heaven appeared to him and gave him strength. In his anguish he prayed
more earnestly, and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down
on the ground. When he got up from prayer, he came to the disciples and
found them sleeping because of grief, and he said to them, "Why are you
sleeping? Get up and pray that you may not come into the time of trial."

While he was still speaking, suddenly a crowd came, and the one called
Judas, one of the twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss
him; but Jesus said to him, "Judas, is it with a kiss that you are
betraying the Son of Man?" When those who were around him saw what was
coming, they asked, "Lord, should we strike with the sword?" Then one of
them struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But
Jesus said, "No more of this!" And he touched his ear and healed him. Then
Jesus said to the chief priests, the officers of the temple police, and the
elders who had come for him, "Have you come out with swords and clubs as if
I were a bandit? When I was with you day after day in the temple, you did
not lay hands on me. But this is your hour, and the power of darkness!"

The Benedictus (Morning), the Magnificat (Evening), or Nunc dimittis
(Night) may follow.

Prayer:
Let us pray to the Father through his Son
who suffered on the cross for the world's redemption.

Fill with your Spirit Christ's broken body, the Church ...
Give to Christian people everywhere a deep longing
to take up the cross and to understand its mysterious glory.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

Bless those who lead the Church's worship at this solemn time ...
In the preaching of the word
and the celebration of the sacraments
draw your people close to you.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

Strengthen those (among us) who are preparing for baptism,
together with their teachers, sponsors and families ...
Teach them what it means to die and rise with Christ
and prepare them to receive the breath of his Spirit.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

Look in your mercy upon the world you loved so much
that you sent your Son to suffer and to die ...
Strengthen those who work to share
the reconciliation won at such a cost upon the cross.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

Bring healing by the wounds of Christ
to all who are weighed down by pain and injustice ...
Help the lonely and the betrayed, the suffering and the dying,
to find strength in the companionship of Jesus,
and in his passion to know their salvation.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

Welcome into paradise all who have left this world
in your friendship ...
According to your promises,
bring them with all your saints to share
in all the benefits of Christ's death and resurrection.
By the Saviour's cross and passion,
Lord, save us and help us.

O God,
by the passion of your blessed Son
you made an instrument of shameful death
to be for us the means of life:
Grant us so to glory in the cross of Christ,
that we may gladly suffer shame and loss
for the sake of your Son our Savior Jesus Christ;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,

Lead us, O God, in the way of Christ
and give us courage to take up our cross
and, in full reliance upon your grace, to follow him. Amen.

The psalms are from Celebrating Common Prayer (Mowbray), © The Society of

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition, copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Edition), copyright © 1989, 1995 by the Division of Christian Education of
the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA. Used by
permission. All rights reserved.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from We
Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces, translated
by Alan Griffiths, © The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from Common Worship: Times and Seasons (draft),
material from which is included in this service is copyright © The
Archbishops' Council, 2004.

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer According to the Use of The
Episcopal Church.

The closing sentence are adapted from Book of Common Worship, © 1993
Westminster / John Knox Press.