OREMUS: 16 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 15 20:47:12 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, March 16, 2008
Palm Sunday

Blessed are you, almighty God,
because in your tender love
you gave the world your only Son,
that we might be saved through him.
Though blameless,
he suffered willingly for our sin.
Though innocent,
he accepted death for the guilty.
On the cross he offered himself, a perfect sacrifice,
for the life of the world.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God,*
 and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
   with heaviness in my heart;*
 set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
 a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
 I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
 you have granted me the heritage
   of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king's life;*
 let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
 bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
 and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

Psalm 62

For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 from him comes my salvation.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be greatly shaken.
How long will you assail me to crush me,
   all of you together,*
 as if you were a leaning fence, a toppling wall?
They seek only to bring me down
   from my place of honour;*
 lies are their chief delight.
They bless with their lips,*
 but in their hearts they curse.
For God alone my soul in silence waits;*
 truly, my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,*
 my stronghold, so that I shall not be shaken.
In God is my safety and my honour;*
 God is my strong rock and my refuge.
Put your trust in him always, O people,*
 pour out your hearts before him, for God is our refuge.
Those of high degree are but a fleeting breath,*
 even those of low estate cannot be trusted.
On the scales they are lighter than a breath,*
 all of them together.
Put no trust in extortion;
   in robbery take no empty pride;*
 though wealth increase, set not your heart upon it.
God has spoken once, twice have I heard it,*
 that power belongs to God.
Steadfast love is yours, O Lord,*
 for you repay everyone according to his deeds.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 5:1-7]:

Let me sing for my beloved
   my love-song concerning his vineyard:
My beloved had a vineyard
   on a very fertile hill.
He dug it and cleared it of stones,
   and planted it with choice vines;
he built a watch-tower in the midst of it,
   and hewed out a wine vat in it;
he expected it to yield grapes,
   but it yielded wild grapes.

And now, inhabitants of Jerusalem
   and people of Judah,
judge between me
   and my vineyard.
What more was there to do for my vineyard
   that I have not done in it?
When I expected it to yield grapes,
   why did it yield wild grapes?

And now I will tell you
   what I will do to my vineyard.
I will remove its hedge,
   and it shall be devoured;
I will break down its wall,
   and it shall be trampled down.
I will make it a waste;
   it shall not be pruned or hoed,
   and it shall be overgrown with briers and thorns;
I will also command the clouds
   that they rain no rain upon it.

For the vineyard of the Lord of hosts
   is the house of Israel,
and the people of Judah
   are his pleasant planting;
he expected justice,
   but saw bloodshed;
righteousness,
   but heard a cry!

HYMN
Words: (c) Fred Pratt Green, 1973
Tune: The Third Tune
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t747.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t747.html

To mock your reign, O dearest Lord,
they made a crown of thorns;
set you with taunts along that road
from which no one returns.
They did not know, as we do now,
that glorious is your crown;
that thorns would flower upon your brow,
your sorrows heal our own.

In mock acclaim, O gracious Lord,
they snatched a purple cloak,
your passion turned, for all they cared,
into a soldier's joke.
They did not know, as we do now,
that though we merit blame
you will your robe of mercy throw
around our naked shame.

A sceptered reed, O patient Lord,
they thrust into your hand,
and acted out their grim charade
to its appointed end.
They did not know, as we do now,
though empires rise and fall,
your Kingdom shall not cease to grow
till love embraces all.

SECOND READING [Matthew 21:33-46]:

Jesus said,  'Listen to another parable. There was a landowner who planted a vineyard, put a
fence around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a watch-tower. Then he leased it to tenants and
went to another country. When the harvest time had come, he sent his slaves to the tenants to
collect his produce. But the tenants seized his slaves and beat one, killed another, and stoned
another. Again he sent other slaves, more than the first; and they treated them in the same way.
Finally he sent his son to them, saying, "They will respect my son." But when the tenants saw the
son, they said to themselves, "This is the heir; come, let us kill him and get his inheritance." So
they seized him, threw him out of the vineyard, and killed him. Now when the owner of the
vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?' They said to him, 'He will put those wretches
to a miserable death, and lease the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the produce at the
harvest time.'
 Jesus said to them, 'Have you never read in the scriptures:
"The stone that the builders rejected
   has become the cornerstone;
this was the Lord's doing,
   and it is amazing in our eyes"?
Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that
produces the fruits of the kingdom. The one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and
it will crush anyone on whom it falls.'

When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they realized that he was speaking
about them. They wanted to arrest him, but they feared the crowds, because they regarded him as
a prophet.

The Benedictus (Morning),
the
Magnificat (Evening), or
Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
Our Redeemer suffered death,
was buried and rose again for our sake.
With love let us adore him, aware of our needs.

Christ our teacher,
for us you were obedient, even to death:
Teach us to obey God's will in all things.

Christ our life,
by dying on the cross
you destroyed the power of evil and death:
Enable us to die with you, and to rise with you in glory.

Christ our strength,
you were despised,
and humiliated as a condemned criminal:
Teach us the humility by which you saved the world.

Christ our salvation,
you gave your life out of love for us:
Help us to love one another.

Christ our Savior,
on the cross you embraced all time
with your outstretched arms:
Gather all the scattered children of God into your realm.

Eternal God,
whose word silences the shouts of the mighty:
Quiet within us every voice but your own.
Speak to us through the suffering and death of Jesus Christ
that by the power of your Holy Spirit
we may receive grace to show Christ's love
in lives given to your service. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,

Lead us, O God, in the way of Christ
and give us courage to take up our cross
and, in full reliance upon your grace, to follow him. Amen.

The canticle and the invitation to the Lord's Prayer (adapted) are from
_Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a phrase in a prayer by The Anglican
Church of Canada and three sentences from a prayer in _Book of
Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession, the collect and the closing sentence are from _Book of
Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

Hymn (c) 1973 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL  60188.
In US & Canada:  Hope Publishing Company,
www.hopepublishing.com
www.stainer.co.uk