OREMUS: 14 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Mar 13 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, March 14, 2008

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 102

Lord, hear my prayer and let my cry come before you;*
 hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble.
Incline your ear to me;*
 when I call, make haste to answer me,
For my days drift away like smoke,*
 and my bones are hot as burning coals.
My heart is smitten like grass and withered,*
 so that I forget to eat my bread.
Because of the voice of my groaning*
 I am but skin and bones.
I have become like a vulture in the wilderness,*
 like an owl among the ruins.
I lie awake and groan;*
 I am like a sparrow, lonely on a house-top.
My enemies revile me all day long,*
 and those who scoff at me
   have taken an oath against me.
For I have eaten ashes for bread*
 and mingled my drink with weeping.
Because of your indignation and wrath*
 you have lifted me up and thrown me away.
My days pass away like a shadow,*
 and I wither like the grass.
But you, O Lord, endure for ever,*
 and your name from age to age.
You will arise and have compassion on Zion,
   for it is time to have mercy upon her;*
 indeed, the appointed time has come.
For your servants love her very rubble,*
 and are moved to pity even for her dust.
The nations shall fear your name, O Lord,*
 and all the kings of the earth your glory.
For the Lord will build up Zion,*
 and his glory will appear.
He will look with favour on the prayer of the homeless;*
 he will not despise their plea.
Let this be written for a future generation,*
 so that a people yet unborn may praise the Lord.
For the Lord looked down from his holy place on high;*
 from the heavens he beheld the earth;
That he might hear the groan of the captive*
 and set free those condemned to die;
That they may declare in Zion the name of the Lord,*
 and his praise in Jerusalem;
When the peoples are gathered together,*
 and the kingdoms also, to serve the Lord.
He has brought down my strength before my time;*
 he has shortened the number of my days;
And I said, 'O my God,
   do not take me away in the midst of my days;*
 your years endure throughout all generations.
'In the beginning, O Lord,
   you laid the foundations of the earth,*
 and the heavens are the work of your hands;
'They shall perish, but you will endure;
   they all shall wear out like a garment;*
 as clothing you will change them,
   and they shall be changed;
'But you are always the same,*
 and your years will never end.
'The children of your servants shall continue,*
 and their offspring shall stand fast in your sight.'

Saviour of the World

Jesus, Saviour of the world,
come to us in your mercy: .
we look to you to save and help us.
By your cross and your life laid down,
you set your people free: .
we look to you to save and help us.
When they were ready to perish, you saved your disciples: .
we look to you to come to our help.
In the greatness of your mercy, loose us from our chains, .
forgive the sins of all your people.
Make yourself known as our Saviour and mighty deliverer; .
save and help us that we may praise you.
Come now and dwell with us, Lord Christ Jesus: .
hear our prayer and be with us always.
And when you come in your glory: .
make us to be one with you
and to share the life of your kingdom.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 20.10 13]:

For I hear many whispering:
   'Terror is all around!
Denounce him! Let us denounce him!'
   All my close friends
   are watching for me to stumble.
'Perhaps he can be enticed,
   and we can prevail against him,
   and take our revenge on him.'
But the Lord is with me like a dread warrior;
   therefore my persecutors will stumble,
   and they will not prevail.
They will be greatly shamed,
   for they will not succeed.
Their eternal dishonour
   will never be forgotten.
O Lord of hosts, you test the righteous,
   you see the heart and the mind;
let me see your retribution upon them,
   for to you I have committed my cause.
Sing to the Lord;
   praise the Lord!
For he has delivered the life of the needy
   from the hands of evildoers.

HYMN
Words: Elizabeth Cecelia Douglas Clephane (1830-1869), 1868
Tune: St. Christopher, Beneath the Cross

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b093.html

Beneath the cross of Jesus
I fain would take my stand,
the shadow of a mighty rock
within a weary land,
A home within a wilderness,
a rest upon the way,
from the burning of the noontide heat
and the burden of the day.

O safe and happy shelter!
O refuge tried and sweet!
O trysting-place where heaven's love
and heaven's justice meet!
As to the exalted patriarch
that wondrous dream was given,
so seems my Savior's cross to me
a ladder up to heaven.

There lies beneath its shadow,
but on the farther side,
the darkness of an open grave
that gapes both deep and wide;
and there between us stands the cross,
two arms outstretched to save,
like a watchman to guard the way
from that eternal grave.

Upon that cross of Jesus
mine eyes at times can see
the very dying form of one
who suffered there for me;
and from my stricken heart, with tears,
two wonders I confess:
the wonders of redeeming love,
and my own worthlessness.

I take, O cross, thy shadow
for my abiding place;
I ask no other sunshine than
the sunshine of his face;
content to let the world go by,
to know no gain nor loss,
my sinful self my only shame,
my glory all: the cross.

SECOND READING [John 10.31 end]:

The Jews took up stones again to stone him and Jesus replied, 'I have shown you
many good works from the Father. For which of these are you going to stone me?'
The Jews answered, 'It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you, but for
blasphemy, because you, though only a human being, are making yourself God.' Jesus
answered, 'Is it not written in your law, "I said, you are gods"? If those to whom the
word of God came were called "gods" and the scripture cannot be annulled  can
you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is
blaspheming because I said, "I am God's Son"? If I am not doing the works of my
Father, then do not believe me. But if I do them, even though you do not believe me,
believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I
am in the Father.' Then they tried to arrest him again, but he escaped from their
hands.
He went away again across the Jordan to the place where John had been baptizing
earlier, and he remained there. Many came to him, and they were saying, 'John
performed no sign, but everything that John said about this man was true.' And many
believed in him there.

O Christ,
out of your fullness we have received grace upon grace.
You are our eternal hope;
you are patient and full of mercy;
you are generous to all who call upon you.
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, fountain of life and holiness,
you have taken away our sins.
On the cross you were wounded for our transgressions
and were bruised for our iniquities.
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, obedient unto death,
source of all comfort,
our life and our resurrection,
our peace and reconciliation:
Save us, O Lord.

O Christ, Savior of all who trust you,
hope of all who die for yo,
and joy of all the saints:
Save us, O Lord.

In the beginning, O God,
you laid the foundations of the earth
and the heavens are the work of your hands;
have pity on our human frailty
and cast us not away like clothing that is worn,
for you alone are our salvation for ever;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.