OREMUS: 13 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 12 19:37:32 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, March 13, 2008

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 41

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sick-bed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my
best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

Psalm 64

Hear my voice, O God, when I complain;*
 protect my life from fear of the enemy.
Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked,*
 from the mob of evildoers.
They sharpen their tongue like a sword,*
 and aim their bitter words like arrows,
That they may shoot down the blameless from ambush;*
 they shoot without warning and are not afraid.
They hold fast to their evil course;*
 they plan how they may hide their snares.
They say, 'Who will see us?
   who will find out our crimes?*
 we have thought out a perfect plot.'
The human mind and heart are a mystery;*
 but God will loose an arrow at them,
   and suddenly they will be wounded.
He will make them trip over their tongues,*
 and all who see them will shake their heads.
Everyone will stand in awe and declare God's deeds;*
 they will recognise his works.
The righteous will rejoice in the Lord
   and put their trust in him,*
 and all who are true of heart will glory.

A Song of Christ the Servant 1 Peter 2.21b-25

Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example,
that you should follow in his steps.
He committed no sin, no guile was found on his lips,
when he was reviled, he did not revile in turn.
When he suffered, he did not threaten,
but he trusted himself to God who judges justly.
Christ himself bore our sins in his body on the tree,
that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.
By his wounds, you have been healed,
for you were straying like sheep,
but have now returned
to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.

FIRST READING [Genesis 17.3 9]:

Abram fell on his face; and God said to him, 'As for me, this is my covenant with you:
You shall be the ancestor of a multitude of nations. No longer shall your name be
Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the ancestor of a
multitude of nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of
you, and kings shall come from you. I will establish my covenant between me and you,
and your offspring after you throughout their generations, for an everlasting covenant,
to be God to you and to your offspring after you. And I will give to you, and to your
offspring after you, the land where you are now an alien, all the land of Canaan, for a
perpetual holding; and I will be their God.'
God said to Abraham, 'As for you, you shall keep my covenant, you and your
offspring after you throughout their generations.

HYMN
Words: Alan Gaunt   1991
Tune: Donne secours

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/e/e047.html

Eternal God, your love's tremendous glory
cascades through life in overflowing grace,
to tell creation's meaning in the story
of love evolving love from time and space.

Eternal Son of God, uniquely precious,
in you, deserted, scorned, crucified,
God's love has fathomed sin and death's deep darkness,
and flawed humanity is glorified.

Eternal Spirit, with us like a mother,
embracing us in love serene and pure:
you nurture strength to follow Christ our brother,
as full-grown children, confident and sure.

Love's trinity, self-perfect, self-sustaining;
love which commands, enables, and obeys:
you give yourself, in boundless joy, creating
one vast increasing harmony of praise.

We ask you now, complete your image in us;
this love of yours, our source and guide and goal.
May love in us seek love and serve love's purpose,
till we ascend with Christ and find love whole.

SECOND READING [John 8.51 end]:

Jesus said, 'Very truly, I tell you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.' The
Jews said to him, 'Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died, and so did
the prophets; yet you say, "Whoever keeps my word will never taste death." Are you
greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets also died. Who do you
claim to be?' Jesus answered, 'If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father
who glorifies me, he of whom you say, "He is our God", though you do not know
him. But I know him; if I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like
you. But I do know him and I keep his word. Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced that he
would see my day; he saw it and was glad.' Then the Jews said to him, 'You are not
yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?' Jesus said to them, 'Very truly, I tell
you, before Abraham was, I am.' So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus
hid himself and went out of the temple.

For Christian communities everywhere,
    following the way of the cross:

    that the passion of Christ may sustain our faith
    and enliven our witness to the world,
    we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

    For the pastors, teachers, evangelists and prophets of the church:
    that the wisdom of Christ may keep them grounded in the gospel,
    we pray to you, Living God:
Lord, hear our prayer.

    For NN and all candidates for baptism,
    and for the church preparing to welcome them:
    that the faith of Christ may gather us together at the foot of the cross,
    we pray to you, Living God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

    For the nations of the world, and for the peace of Jerusalem:
    that the kingdom of Christ may come with true peace
    and the forgiveness of our enemies,
    we pray to you, Living God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

    For the endangered earth,
    where human carelessness and waste threaten the environment:
    that the Spirit of Christ may teach us how to care for the earth,
    and revive our delight in creation,
    we pray to you, Living God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

    For the hungry, the homeless and the outcasts of the world:
    that the love of Christ may teach us hospitality, hope,
    and care for the least of our sisters and brothers,
    we pray to you, Living God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

    For people whose lives are limited by sickness, grief, or fear:
    that the compassion of Christ may come to them
    with comfort and courage,
    we pray to you, Living God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

    For all who bear the weight of others' troubles:
    that the easy yoke of Christ may lighten their burdens
    and strengthen them for service,
    we pray to you, Living God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

    For people offering their lives in loving service:
    that the blessing of Christ may come to them,
    and their gifts be received and remembered with joy,
    we pray to you, Living God.
Lord, hear our prayer.

    For all who deny their faith or betray their friends,
    for all who repent of their sins,
    and for ourselves as we turn and ask for mercy:
    that the forgiveness of Christ may come with healing and love,
    we pray to you, Living God.

Lord, hear our prayer.

    For people preparing to die:
    that the light of Christ may shine on them
    both now and in the day of resurrection,
    we pray to you, Living God.

Lord, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father,
whose Son suffered denial and betrayal of trust
from those who shared his bread:
raise us up, O Lord,
and prevent us in the time of trial
from falling away from you;

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.