OREMUS: 11 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Mar 10 18:57:02 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Blessed are you, holy Father,
almighty and eternal God,
 through Jesus Christ our Lord.
For as the time of his passion and resurrection draws near
the whole world is called to acknowledge his hidden majesty.
The power of the life-giving cross
reveals the judgement that has come upon the world
and the triumph of Christ crucified.
He is the victim who dies no more,
the Lamb once slain, who lives for ever,
our advocate in heaven to plead our cause.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 17

Hear my plea of innocence, O Lord;
   give heed to my cry;*
 listen to my prayer,
   which does not come from lying lips.
Let my vindication come forth from your presence;*
 let your eyes be fixed on justice.
Weigh my heart, summon me by night,*
 melt me down; you will find no impurity in me.
I give no offence with my mouth as others do;*
 I have heeded the words of your lips.
My footsteps hold fast to the ways of your law;*
 in your paths my feet shall not stumble.
I call upon you, O God, for you will answer me;*
 incline your ear to me and hear my words.
Show me your marvellous loving-kindness,*
 O Saviour of those who take refuge at your right hand
   from those who rise up against them.
Keep me as the apple of your eye;*
 hide me under the shadow of your wings,
>From the wicked who assault me,*
 from my deadly enemies who surround me.
They have closed their heart to pity,*
 and their mouth speaks proud things.
They press me hard,
   now they surround me,*
 watching how they may cast me to the ground,
Like a lion, greedy for its prey,*
 and like a young lion lurking in secret places.
Arise, O Lord; confront them and bring them down;*
 deliver me from the wicked by your sword.
Deliver me, O Lord, by your hand*
 from those whose portion in life is this world;
Whose bellies you fill with your treasure,*
 who are well supplied with children
   and leave their wealth to their little ones.
But at my vindication I shall see your face;*
 when I awake, I shall be satisfied,
   beholding your likeness.

A Song of Jonah (Jonah 2.2-7,9)

I called to you, O God, out of my distress
and you answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.
You cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me,
all your waves and billows passed over me.
Then I said, I am driven away from your sight;
how shall I ever look again upon your holy temple?
The waters closed in over me,
the deep was round about me;
weeds were wrapped around my head
at the roots of the mountains.
I went down to the land whose bars closed upon me for ever,
yet you brought up my life from the depths, O God.
As my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, O God,
and my prayer came to you, into your holy temple.
With the voice of thanksgiving, I will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay;
deliverance belongs to the Lord!

FIRST READING [Numbers 21.4 9]:

>From Mount Hor they set out by the way to the Red Sea, to go around the land of
Edom; but the people became impatient on the way. The people spoke against God
and against Moses, 'Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the
wilderness? For there is no food and no water, and we detest this miserable food.'
Then the Lord sent poisonous serpents among the people, and they bit the people, so
that many Israelites died. The people came to Moses and said, 'We have sinned by
speaking against the Lord and against you; pray to the Lord to take away the serpents
from us.' So Moses prayed for the people. And the Lord said to Moses, 'Make a
poisonous serpent, and set it on a pole; and everyone who is bitten shall look at it and
live.' So Moses made a serpent of bronze, and put it upon a pole; and whenever a
serpent bit someone, that person would look at the serpent of bronze and live.

HYMN
Words: William Walsham How, 1876
Tune: North Coates

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o505.html

O my Savior, lifted
from the earth for me,
draw me, in thy mercy,
nearer unto thee.

Lift my earth-bound longings,
fix them, Lord, above;
draw me with the magnet
of thy mighty love.

Lord, thine arms are stretching
ever far and wide,
to enfold thy children
to thy loving side.

And I come, O Jesus:
dare I turn away?
No, thy love hath conquered,
and I come today.

Bringing all my burdens,
sorrow, sin and care,
at thy feet I lay them,
and I leave them there.

SECOND READING [John 8.21 30]:

Jesus said, 'I am going away, and you will search for me, but you will die in your sin.
Where I am going, you cannot come.' Then the Jews said, 'Is he going to kill himself?
Is that what he means by saying, "Where I am going, you cannot come"?' He said to
them, 'You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this
world. I told you that you would die in your sins, for you will die in your sins unless
you believe that I am he.' They said to him, 'Who are you?' Jesus said to them, 'Why
do I speak to you at all? I have much to say about you and much to condemn; but the
one who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have heard from him.' They
did not understand that he was speaking to them about the Father. So Jesus said,
'When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I am he, and that I
do nothing on my own, but I speak these things as the Father instructed me. And the
one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what is pleasing
to him.' As he was saying these things, many believed in him.

Jesus, remember us when you come into your kingdom
and hear our prayers.

For your Church around the world,
we ask new life.

For all who carry out ministries in your Church,
we ask grace and wisdom.

For people who have accepted spiritual disciplines,
we ask inspired discipleship.

For Christians of every land,
we ask new unity in your Name.

For Jews and Muslims and people of other faiths,
we ask your divine blessing.

For those who cannot believe,
we ask your faithful love.

For governors and rulers in every land,
we ask your guidance.

For people who suffer and sorrow,
we ask your healing peace.

Almighty God,
through the incarnate Word
you have caused us to be born anew
of an imperishable and eternal seed:
Look with compassion upon those
who are being prepared for Holy Baptism,
and grant that they may be built as living stones
into a spiritual temple acceptable to you;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Christ crucified draw us to himself,
to find in him a sure ground for faith,
a firm support for hope,
and the assurance of sins forgiven. Amen.