OREMUS: 8 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Mar 7 17:48:27 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, March 8, 2008
Edward King, Bishop of Lincoln, 1910

Glory to you, O Champion of all Loves,
who for our sake endured the cross,
encountered the enemy and tasted death.
Glory be to you, O King of all kings,
who for our salvation
wrestled with principalities and powers,
subdued the forces of hell
and won the greatest of all victories.
To you be all praise, all glory and all love;
now and for ever. Amen.

An opening canticle may be sung.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 119:153-176

Behold my affliction and deliver me,*
 for I do not forget your law.
Plead my cause and redeem me;*
 according to your promise, give me life.
Deliverance is far from the wicked,*
 for they do not study your statutes.
Great is your compassion, O Lord;*
 preserve my life, according to your judgements.
There are many who persecute and oppress me,*
 yet I have not swerved from your decrees.
I look with loathing at the faithless,*
 for they have not kept your word.
See how I love your commandments!*
 O Lord, in your mercy, preserve me.
The heart of your word is truth;*
 all your righteous judgements endure for evermore.

Rulers have persecuted me without a cause,*
 but my heart stands in awe of your word.
I am as glad because of your promise*
 as one who finds great spoils.
As for lies, I hate and abhor them,*
 but your law is my love.
Seven times a day do I praise you,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
Great peace have they who love your law;*
 for them there is no stumbling block.
I have hoped for your salvation, O Lord,*
 and I have fulfilled your commandments.
I have kept your decrees*
 and I have loved them deeply.
I have kept your commandments and decrees,*
 for all my ways are before you.

Let my cry come before you, O Lord;*
 give me understanding, according to your word.
Let my supplication come before you;*
 deliver me, according to your promise.
My lips shall pour forth your praise,*
 when you teach me your statutes.
My tongue shall sing of your promise,*
 for all your commandments are righteous.
Let your hand be ready to help me,*
 for I have chosen your commandments.
I long for your salvation, O Lord,*
 and your law is my delight.
Let me live and I will praise you,*
 and let your judgements help me.
I have gone astray like a sheep that is lost;*
 search for your servant,
   for I do not forget your commandments.

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God,
   according to your loving-kindness;*
 in your great compassion blot out my offences.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness*
 and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,*
 and my sin is ever before me.
Against you only have I sinned*
 and done what is evil in your sight.
And so you are justified when you speak*
 and upright in your judgement.
Indeed, I have been wicked from my birth,*
 a sinner from my mother's womb.
For behold, you look for truth deep within me,*
 and will make me understand wisdom secretly.
Purge me from my sin and I shall be pure;*
 wash me and I shall be clean indeed.
Make me hear of joy and gladness,*
 that the body you have broken may rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins*
 and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,*
 and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence*
 and take not your holy Spirit from me.
Give me the joy of your saving help again*
 and sustain me with your bountiful Spirit.
I shall teach your ways to the wicked,*
 and sinners shall return to you.
Deliver me from death, O God,*
 and my tongue shall sing of your righteousness,
   O God of my salvation.
Open my lips, O Lord,*
 and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.
Had you desired it, I would have offered sacrifice,*
 but you take no delight in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit;*
 a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Be favourable and gracious to Zion,*
 and rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
Then you will be pleased with the appointed sacrifices,
   with burnt-offerings and oblations;*
 then shall they offer young bullocks upon your altar.

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 11.18 20]:

It was the Lord who made it known to me, and I knew;
   then you showed me their evil deeds.
But I was like a gentle lamb
   led to the slaughter.
And I did not know it was against me
   that they devised schemes, saying,
'Let us destroy the tree with its fruit,
   let us cut him off from the land of the living,
   so that his name will no longer be remembered!'
But you, O Lord of hosts, who judge righteously,
   who try the heart and the mind,
let me see your retribution upon them,
   for to you I have committed my cause.

HYMN
Words: John Newton (1725-1807), 1779
Tune: St. Peter, St. Botolph

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/h/h422.html

How sweet the Name of Jesus sounds
in a believer's ear!
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
and drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole,
and calms the troubled breast;
'tis manna to the hungry soul,
and to the weary, rest.

Dear Name, the rock on which I build,
my shield and hiding-place,
my never-failing treasury, filled
with boundless stores of grace!

Jesus! my Shepherd, Brother, Friend,
my Prophet, Priest and King,
my Lord, my Life, my Way, my End,
accept the praise I bring.

Weak is the effort of my heart,
and cold my warmest thought;
but when I see thee as thou art,
I'll praise thee as I ought.

Till then I would thy love proclaim
with every fleeting breath;
and may the music of thy Name
refresh my soul in death!

SECOND READING [John 7.40 end]:

When they heard the words of Jesus, some in the crowd said, 'This is really the
prophet.' Others said, 'This is the Messiah.' But some asked, 'Surely the Messiah does
not come from Galilee, does he? Has not the scripture said that the Messiah is
descended from David and comes from Bethlehem, the village where David lived?' So
there was a division in the crowd because of him. Some of them wanted to arrest him,
but no one laid hands on him.
Then the temple police went back to the chief priests and Pharisees, who asked them,
'Why did you not arrest him?' The police answered, 'Never has anyone spoken like
this!' Then the Pharisees replied, 'Surely you have not been deceived too, have you?
Has any one of the authorities or of the Pharisees believed in him? But this crowd,
which does not know the law they are accursed.' Nicodemus, who had gone to Jesus
before, and who was one of them, asked, 'Our law does not judge people without first
giving them a hearing to find out what they are doing, does it?' They replied, 'Surely
you are not also from Galilee, are you? Search and you will see that no prophet is to
arise from Galilee.'

O Lord, answer us in the day of trouble,
Send us help from your holy place.

Show us the path of life,
For in your presence is joy.

Give justice to the orphan and oppressed
And break the power of wickedness and evil.

Look upon the hungry and sorrowful
And grant them the help for which they long.

Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad;
May your glory endure for ever.

Your kingship has dominion over all
And with you is our redemption.

O Lord, strong and mighty,
Lord of hosts and King of glory:
Cleanse our hearts from sin, keep our hands pure,
and turn our minds from what is passing away;
so that at the last we may stand in your holy place
and receive your blessing;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

God of peace,
who gave such grace to your servant Edward King
that whomever he met he drew to Christ:
fill us, we pray, with tender sympathy and joyful faith,
that we also may win others
      to know the love that passes knowledge;
through him who is the shepherd and guardian of our souls,
Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,

Help us, O Lord Jesus Christ,
to enter in your sorrows and to rejoice in your victory;
to embrace your cross and to wear your crown;
to receive the wounds of your love
and to behold you in glory and light;
for your own name's sake. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Thomas Ken (1637-1711) and the closing prayer
is by St. Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373).

Edward King was born in 1829, son of a clergyman. He was educated at home
by his father and a private tutor, and when he was 19, he went to Oxford and
entered Oriel College , the headquarters, as it were, of the Oxford Movement.
Academically, he was at best an average student. In 1854 he was ordained and
made curate of Wheatley, a village near Oxford. There he began to be known
as a remarkably effective pastor and counsellor. In 1862-3 he was appointed
Principal of Cuddesdon, a recently founded (1854) theological college near
Oxford. He served there for ten years, and under his pastorship the college
became a worshipping community, where individual and communal spiritual
life flourished. On the academic side, students at Cuddesdon read about the
problems of pastoral work, not in contemporary manuals, but in the writings of
Ambrose, Basil, and Gregory the Great . They read the sermons of
Chrysostom, Augustine, and Bernard. But King insisted that preaching could
never be effective or worthwhile unless it was rooted in a life of prayer and of
love for one's parishioners. A priest must pray regularly for every member of
his parish, individually and by name. He must call on every member once every
two months, and must get to know them well enough to understand their
problems and know where they stood in need of prayer. He said: "Christ lives
in his saints. We know his life in them. St Paul prayed to know the power of
the Resurrection, though he knew the fact."
In 1885, he was appointed Bishop of Lincoln, succeeding Christopher
Wordsworth). He noted with satisfaction that it was the original home of John
Wesley, whom he greatly admired. As a bishop-pastor, he was outstandingly
effective. One writer of his day called him "the most loved man in
Lincolnshire." The private letters of his contemporaries contain many
testimonies to his personal holiness and to his loving concern for others. He
sought out those whom the Church had failed to reach, and spoke with them
about the Good News of God's love declared in Jesus Christ. Whenever
possible, he did the work of a prison chaplain, speaking with everyone from
pickpockets to murderers. In 1887 a young fisherman from Grimsby killed his
sweetheart in a jealous quarrel, and was sentenced to hang. The prison chaplain
was at a loss what to say to him, and King took over. He spoke to the young
man, instructed him in Christian belief, preached to him the Good news of
salvation in Christ, and reconciled him with God. (He also waged a vigorous
but unsuccessful campaign to have the sentence commuted.)
On one occasion he was caught up in the controversies of his day. Different
parties within the Church had come to regard various ceremonial usages as a
mark of where the user stood theologically, and in 1887 Bishop King was
denounced as celebrating the Liturgy with practices not permitted by the
directives in the Book of Common Prayer and elsewhere governing Anglican
worship. Specifically, the charges were:
   1. having lighted candles on the altar;
   2. facing "eastward" (that is, toward the altar and with his back to the
congregation) during most prayers;
   3. mixing a little water with the wine in the chalice (done chiefly because the
ancients--Jews, Greeks, and Romans alike--regularly diluted their wine with
water just before drinking it, but also understood by many as a symbol of
human nature being incorporated into the Divine Nature as we are united with
Christ through the Sacrament);
   4. using the Agnus Dei ("O Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the
world, have mercy upon us") as a hymn just before the receiving of the Holy
Communion (this hymn is traditional, but had been omitted from the Book of
Common Prayer in 1549 because Cranmer transferred the Gloria to a position
at the end of the service, and the words of the Agnus Dei are included in the
Gloria, so that it seemed repetitious to have them both within a few minutes of
each other);
   5. making the sign of the Cross when blessing the congregation; and
   6. making a ceremony of cleansing the Communion vessels after the service.

None of these practices is particularly controversial today, but they were then
thought by some to be signs of inclination to the views--and the company--of
the Pope. King was tried by a Church Court presided over by the Archbishop
of Canterbury. The decision of the Court forbade some of these practices, but
permitted others while specifying that they had no theological significance.
Thus, lighted candles were to be permitted on the altar, but only when needed
for purposes of illumination. The Times wrote of the judgement:
"The Ritualists are to have their way in the chief practices impugned--the other
party are diligently assured that there is no such significance as has hitherto
been supposed in such practices. The Ritualists...are given the shells they have
been fighting for, and the Evangelicals are consoled with the gravest
assurances that there were no kernels inside them. It is ironic that King appears
in reference works chiefly as the defendant in the Lincoln Trial, since most of
those who knew him would have regarded this as a brief and peripheral episode
in a life devoted chiefly to preaching and exemplifying the Good News of the
Kingdom of God.' [James Kiefer, abridged]