OREMUS: 6 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Mar 5 17:09:02 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, March 6, 2008

Glory to you, O Champion of all Loves,
who for our sake endured the cross,
encountered the enemy and tasted death.
Glory be to you, O King of all kings,
who for our salvation
wrestled with principalities and powers,
subdued the forces of hell
and won the greatest of all victories.
To you be all praise, all glory and all love;
now and for ever. Amen.

An opening canticle may be sung.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 141:1-3,8

O Lord, I call to you; come to me quickly;*
 hear my voice when I cry to you.
Let my prayer be set forth in your sight as incense,*
 the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
Set a watch before my mouth, O Lord,
   and guard the door of my lips;*
 let not my heart incline to any evil thing.!-- v8 -->
But my eyes are turned to you, Lord God;*
 in you I take refuge; do not strip me of my life.

Psalm 143

Lord, hear my prayer,
   and in your faithfulness heed my supplications;*
 answer me in your righteousness.
Enter not into judgement with your servant,*
 for in your sight shall no one living be justified.
For my enemy has sought my life
   and has crushed me to the ground;*
 making me live in dark places
   like those who are long dead.
My spirit faints within me;*
 my heart within me is desolate.
I remember the time past;
   I muse upon all your deeds;*
 I consider the works of your hands.
I spread out my hands to you;*
 my soul gasps to you like a thirsty land.
O Lord, make haste to answer me; my spirit fails me;*
 do not hide your face from me
   or I shall be like those who go down to the Pit.
Let me hear of your loving-kindness in the morning,
   for I put my trust in you;*
 show me the road that I must walk,
   for I lift up my soul to you.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord,*
 for I flee to you for refuge.
Teach me to do what pleases you, for you are my God;*
 let your good Spirit lead me on level ground.
Revive me, O Lord, for your name's sake;*
 for your righteousness' sake, bring me out of trouble.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1. 5-9)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.
If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.
But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.
And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.
If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Exodus 32.7 14]:

The Lord said to Moses, 'Go down at once! Your people, whom you brought up out
of the land of Egypt, have acted perversely; they have been quick to turn aside from
the way that I commanded them; they have cast for themselves an image of a calf, and
have worshipped it and sacrificed to it, and said, "These are your gods, O Israel, who
brought you up out of the land of Egypt!" ' The Lord said to Moses, 'I have seen this
people, how stiff-necked they are. Now let me alone, so that my wrath may burn hot
against them and I may consume them; and of you I will make a great nation.'
But Moses implored the Lord his God, and said, 'O Lord, why does your wrath burn
hot against your people, whom you brought out of the land of Egypt with great power
and with a mighty hand? Why should the Egyptians say, "It was with evil intent that he
brought them out to kill them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of
the earth"? Turn from your fierce wrath; change your mind and do not bring disaster
on your people. Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, your servants, how you swore
to them by your own self, saying to them, "I will multiply your descendants like the
stars of heaven, and all this land that I have promised I will give to your descendants,
and they shall inherit it for ever." ' And the Lord changed his mind about the disaster
that he planned to bring on his people.

HYMN
Words: Annie Sherwood Hawks, 1872
Tune: Need

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i107.html

I need thee every hour,
most gracious Lord;
no tender voice like thine
can peace afford.
Refrain:
I need thee, O I need thee;
every hour I need thee;
O bless me now, my Savior,
I come to thee.

I need thee every hour,
stay thou nearby;
temptations lose their power
when thou art nigh. Refrain

I need thee every hour,
in joy or pain;
come quickly and abide,
or life is in vain. Refrain

I need thee every hour;
teach me thy will;
and thy rich promises
in me fulfill. Refrain

I need thee every hour,
most Holy One;
O make me thine indeed,
thou blessŠd Son. Refrain

SECOND READING [John 5.31 end]:

Jesus said, 'If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. There is another who
testifies on my behalf, and I know that his testimony to me is true. You sent
messengers to John, and he testified to the truth. Not that I accept such human
testimony, but I say these things so that you may be saved. He was a burning and
shining lamp, and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light. But I have a
testimony greater than John's. The works that the Father has given me to complete,
the very works that I am doing, testify on my behalf that the Father has sent me. And
the Father who sent me has himself testified on my behalf. You have never heard his
voice or seen his form, and you do not have his word abiding in you, because you do
not believe him whom he has sent.

'You search the scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it
is they that testify on my behalf. Yet you refuse to come to me to have life. I do not
accept glory from human beings. But I know that you do not have the love of God in
you. I have come in my Father's name, and you do not accept me; if another comes in
his own name, you will accept him. How can you believe when you accept glory from
one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the one who alone is God? Do
not think that I will accuse you before the Father; your accuser is Moses, on whom
you have set your hope. If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote
about me. But if you do not believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?'

Lord, open a path for your Word
To declare the mystery of Christ.

Turn now, O God of hosts;
Behold and tend the vine you have planted.

May your people rejoice and sing,
And your ministers be clothed with salvation.

May they stand and feed your flock
In the strength of your name.

Keep from trouble all those who trust in you
And forget not the poor for ever.

Have mercy, O Lord, upon us,
As we have put our hope in you.

Lord God, our protector and guide,
who made us knowing both good and evil:
receive our prayer and, by your wisdom,
help us to discern and desire all that is good,
that the offering of our lives may be acceptable to you;
through Jesus Christ,
who suffered the darkness of torment and trial
and now is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
for ever and ever. Amen.

Help us, O Lord Jesus Christ,
to enter in your sorrows and to rejoice in your victory;
to embrace your cross and to wear your crown;
to receive the wounds of your love
and to behold you in glory and light;
for your own name's sake. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Thomas Ken (1637-1711) and the closing prayer
is by St. Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373).