OREMUS: 5 March 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Mar 4 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Glory to you, O Champion of all Loves,
who for our sake endured the cross,
encountered the enemy and tasted death.
Glory be to you, O King of all kings,
who for our salvation
wrestled with principalities and powers,
subdued the forces of hell
and won the greatest of all victories.
To you be all praise, all glory and all love;
now and for ever. Amen.

An opening canticle may be sung.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 139

Lord, you have searched me out and known me;*
 you know my sitting down and my rising up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
You trace my journeys and my resting-places*
 and are acquainted with all my ways.
Indeed, there is not a word on my lips,*
 but you, O Lord, know it altogether.
You press upon me behind and before*
 and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;*
 it is so high that I cannot attain to it.
Where can I go then from your Spirit?*
 where can I flee from your presence?
If I climb up to heaven, you are there;*
 if I make the grave my bed, you are there also.
If I take the wings of the morning*
 and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
Even there your hand will lead me*
 and your right hand hold me fast.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will cover me,*
 and the light around me turn to night',
Darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day;*
 darkness and light to you are both alike.
For you yourself created my inmost parts;*
 you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I will thank you because I am marvellously made;*
 your works are wonderful and I know it well.
My body was not hidden from you,*
 while I was being made in secret
   and woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my limbs, yet unfinished in the womb;
   all of them were written in your book;*
 they were fashioned day by day,
   when as yet there was none of them.
How deep I find your thoughts, O God!*
 how great is the sum of them!
If I were to count them,
   they would be more in number than the sand;*
 to count them all,
   my life span would need to be like yours.
Search me out, O God, and know my heart;*
 try me and know my restless thoughts.
Look well whether there be any wickedness in me*
 and lead me in the way that is everlasting.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6.1-6)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.
God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.
After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.
Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.
He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.
'O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?
'Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.
'Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.
'For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.'

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 49.8 15]:

Thus says the Lord:
In a time of favour I have answered you,
   on a day of salvation I have helped you;
I have kept you and given you
   as a covenant to the people,
to establish the land,
   to apportion the desolate heritages;
saying to the prisoners, 'Come out',
   to those who are in darkness, 'Show yourselves.'
They shall feed along the ways,
   on all the bare heights shall be their pasture;
they shall not hunger or thirst,
   neither scorching wind nor sun shall strike them down,
for he who has pity on them will lead them,
   and by springs of water will guide them.
And I will turn all my mountains into a road,
   and my highways shall be raised up.
Lo, these shall come from far away,
   and lo, these from the north and from the west,
   and these from the land of Syene.

Sing for joy, O heavens, and exult, O earth;
   break forth, O mountains, into singing!
For the Lord has comforted his people,
   and will have compassion on his suffering ones.

But Zion said, 'The Lord has forsaken me,
   my Lord has forgotten me.'
Can a woman forget her nursing-child,
   or show no compassion for the child of her womb?
Even these may forget,
   yet I will not forget you.

HYMN
Words: Elizabeth Huntington Miller, 1867

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/i/i098.html

I love to hear the story
which angel voices tell,
how once the King of glory
came down on earth to dwell.
I am both weak and sinful;
but this I surely know,
the Lord came down to save me,
because he loved me so.
Refrain:
I love to hear the story
which angel voices tell,
how once the King of glory
came down on earth to dwell.

I'm glad my blessŠd Savior
was once a child like me,
to show how pure and holy
his little ones might be;
and, if I try to follow
his footsteps here below,
he never will forget me,
because he loves me so. Refrain

To sing his love and mercy
my sweetest songs I'll raise;
and, though I cannot see him,
I know he hears my praise;
for he has kindly promised
that even I may go
to sing among his angels,
because he loves me so. Refrain

SECOND READING [John 5.17 30]:

Jesus answered them, 'My Father is still working, and I also am working.' For this
reason the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because he was not only
breaking the sabbath, but was also calling God his own Father, thereby making himself
equal to God.

Jesus said to them, 'Very truly, I tell you, the Son can do nothing on his own, but only
what he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise.
The Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing; and he will show
him greater works than these, so that you will be astonished. Indeed, just as the Father
raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whomsoever he
wishes. The Father judges no one but has given all judgement to the Son, so that all
may honour the Son just as they honour the Father. Anyone who does not honour the
Son does not honour the Father who sent him. Very truly, I tell you, anyone who hears
my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life, and does not come under
judgement, but has passed from death to life.

'Very truly, I tell you, the hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear
the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. For just as the Father has
life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself; and he has given
him authority to execute judgement, because he is the Son of Man. Do not be
astonished at this; for the hour is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his
voice and will come out those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and
those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.

'I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge; and my judgement is just, because I
seek to do not my own will but the will of him who sent me.'

Teach us, O Lord, the way of your statutes:
And lead us in the path of your commandments.

Keep our nation under your care:
And guide us in justice and truth.

O Lord, deal graciously with your servants;
teach us discernment and knowledge.

Let not the needy be forgotten:
Nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Guide the meek in judgement:
And teach your ways to the gentle.

Lord, remember your people:
Whom you have purchased and redeemed of old.

Lord,
who created and fashioned us,
who knows us and searches us out,
who abides with us through light and dark:
help us to know your presence in this life
and, in the life to come, still to be with you;
where you are alive and reign,
God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Help us, O Lord Jesus Christ,
to enter in your sorrows and to rejoice in your victory;
to embrace your cross and to wear your crown;
to receive the wounds of your love
and to behold you in glory and light;
for your own name's sake. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Thomas Ken (1637-1711) and the closing prayer
is by St. Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373).