OREMUS: 1 July 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 30 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Canada Day

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
ruler of all hearts,
you call us to obey you
and favor us with true freedom.
Your Son calls us to leave behind all that hinders us,
that we may fix our eyes on him
and steadfastly follow in the paths of your kingdom.

Hear this, all you peoples;
   hearken, all you who dwell in the world,*
 you of high degree and low, rich and poor together.
My mouth shall speak of wisdom,*
 and my heart shall meditate on understanding.
I will incline my ear to a proverb*
 and set forth my riddle upon the harp.
Why should I be afraid in evil days,*
 when the wickedness of those at my heels surrounds me,
The wickedness of those
   who put their trust in their goods,*
 and boast of their great riches?
We can never ransom ourselves,*
 or deliver to God the price of our life;
For the ransom of our life is so great,*
 that we should never have enough to pay it,
In order to live for ever and ever,*
 and never see the grave.
For we see that the wise die also;
   like the dull and stupid they perish*
 and leave their wealth to those who come after them.
Their graves shall be their homes for ever,
   their dwelling places from generation to generation,*
 though they call the lands after their own names.
Even though honoured, they cannot live for ever;*
 they are like the beasts that perish.
Such is the way of those
   who foolishly trust in themselves,*
 and the end of those who delight in their own words.
Like a flock of sheep they are destined to die;
   Death is their shepherd;*
 they go down straightway to the grave.
Their form shall waste away,*
 and the land of the dead shall be their home.
But God will ransom my life;*
 he will snatch me from the grasp of death.
Do not be envious when some become rich,*
 or when the grandeur of their house increases;
For they will carry nothing away at their death,*
 nor will their grandeur follow them.
Though they thought highly of themselves
   while they lived,*
 and were praised for their success,
They shall join the company of their forebears,*
 who will never see the light again.
Those who are honoured, but have no understanding,*
 are like the beasts that perish.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15.3,4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds, .
Lord God the Almighty.
Just and true are your ways, .
O ruler of the nations.
Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord? .
for you alone are holy.
All nations shall come and worship in your presence: .
for your just dealings have been revealed.

FIRST READING [Daniel 2:14-24]:

Daniel responded with prudence and discretion to Arioch, the king's chief executioner,
who had gone out to execute the wise men of Babylon; he asked Arioch, the royal
official, 'Why is the decree of the king so urgent?' Arioch then explained the matter to
Daniel. So Daniel went in and requested that the king give him time and he would tell
the king the interpretation.

Then Daniel went to his home and informed his companions, Hananiah, Mishael, and
Azariah, and told them to seek mercy from the God of heaven concerning this mystery,
so that Daniel and his companions with the rest of the wise men of Babylon might not
perish. Then the mystery was revealed to Daniel in a vision of the night, and Daniel
blessed the God of heaven.
Daniel said:
'Blessed be the name of God from age to age,
   for wisdom and power are his.
He changes times and seasons,
   deposes kings and sets up kings;
he gives wisdom to the wise
   and knowledge to those who have understanding.
He reveals deep and hidden things;
   he knows what is in the darkness,
   and light dwells with him.
To you, O God of my ancestors,
   I give thanks and praise,
for you have given me wisdom and power,
   and have now revealed to me what we asked of you,
   for you have revealed to us what the king ordered.'

Therefore Daniel went to Arioch, whom the king had appointed to destroy the wise
men of Babylon, and said to him, 'Do not destroy the wise men of Babylon; bring me
in before the king, and I will give the king the interpretation.'

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1707,
as altered by John Wesley (1703-1791), 1737.
Tune: Old 100th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/b/b032.html

Before Jehovah's awful throne,
ye nations, bow with sacred joy;
know that the Lord is God alone;
he can create, and he destroy.

His sovereign power, without our aid,
made us of clay, and formed us men;
and when like wandering sheep we strayed,
he brought us to his fold again.

We'll crowd thy gates with thankful songs,
high as the heavens our voices raise;
and earth, with her ten thousand tongues,
shall fill thy courts with sounding praise.

Wide as the world is thy command,
vast as eternity thy love;
firm as a rock thy truth must stand,
when rolling years shall cease to move.

SECOND READING [Acts 21:1-14]:

When we and Paul had parted from them and set sail, we came by a straight course to
Cos, and the next day to Rhodes, and from there to Patara. When we found a ship
bound for Phoenicia, we went on board and set sail. We came in sight of Cyprus; and
leaving it on our left, we sailed to Syria and landed at Tyre, because the ship was to
unload its cargo there. We looked up the disciples and stayed there for seven days.
Through the Spirit they told Paul not to go on to Jerusalem. When our days there were
ended, we left and proceeded on our journey; and all of them, with wives and children,
escorted us outside the city. There we knelt down on the beach and prayed and said
farewell to one another. Then we went on board the ship, and they returned home.
When we had finished the voyage from Tyre, we arrived at Ptolemais; and we greeted
the believers and stayed with them for one day. The next day we left and came to
Caesarea; and we went into the house of Philip the evangelist, one of the seven, and
stayed with him. He had four unmarried daughters who had the gift of prophecy.
While we were staying there for several days, a prophet named Agabus came down
from Judea. He came to us and took Paul's belt, bound his own feet and hands with it,
and said, 'Thus says the Holy Spirit, "This is the way the Jews in Jerusalem will bind
the man who owns this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles." ' When we heard
this, we and the people there urged him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul
answered, 'What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not
only to be bound but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.' Since
he would not be persuaded, we remained silent except to say, 'The Lord's will be
done.'

Ever-present Spirit of God,
as we abide with you and you with us,
we cry out for our brothers and sisters:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For all who suffer want, loneliness or depression:
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For racial, cultural and national groups
who suffer prejudice, oppressive leaders
or economic exploitation.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in every place,
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For the Church in those places where it suffers
blindness, controversy, disorientation,
persecution or change.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

For those we have to tried to love and serve today.
Healing Spirit,
hear our prayer.

O God,
you have taught us that it profits us nothing
   to have gained the whole world and to lose our souls:
enrich with heavenly wisdom the poor in spirit
and turn our hearts from the pursuit of vanities;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Lord God Almighty,
you have made all the peoples of the earth for your glory,
to serve you in freedom and in peace:
Give to the people of our country
a zeal for justice and the strength of forbearance,
that we may use our liberty in accordance with your gracious will;
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

Help us so to know you that we may truly love you,
so to love you that we may fully serve you,
whose service is perfect freedom in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from _Book of Common
Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.