OREMUS: 30 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 29 17:00:03 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, June 30, 2008

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
ruler of all hearts,
you call us to obey you
and favor us with true freedom.
Your Son calls us to leave behind all that hinders us,
that we may fix our eyes on him
and steadfastly follow in the paths of your kingdom.

As the deer longs for the water-brooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holy-day.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his loving-kindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of Solomon (cf Song of Solomon 8.6,7)

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
as a seal upon your arm;
For love is strong as death, passion fierce as the grave;
its flashes are flashes of fire, a raging flame.
Many waters cannot quench love,
neither can the floods drown it.
If all the wealth of our house were offered for love,
it would be utterly scorned.

FIRST READING [Daniel 2:14-24]:

Daniel responded with prudence and discretion to Arioch, the king's chief executioner,
who had gone out to execute the wise men of Babylon; he asked Arioch, the royal
official, 'Why is the decree of the king so urgent?' Arioch then explained the matter to
Daniel. So Daniel went in and requested that the king give him time and he would tell
the king the interpretation.
Then Daniel went to his home and informed his companions, Hananiah, Mishael, and
Azariah, and told them to seek mercy from the God of heaven concerning this mystery,
so that Daniel and his companions with the rest of the wise men of Babylon might not
perish. Then the mystery was revealed to Daniel in a vision of the night, and Daniel
blessed the God of heaven.
Daniel said:
'Blessed be the name of God from age to age,
   for wisdom and power are his.
He changes times and seasons,
   deposes kings and sets up kings;
he gives wisdom to the wise
   and knowledge to those who have understanding.
He reveals deep and hidden things;
   he knows what is in the darkness,
   and light dwells with him.
To you, O God of my ancestors,
   I give thanks and praise,
for you have given me wisdom and power,
   and have now revealed to me what we asked of you,
   for you have revealed to us what the king ordered.'

Therefore Daniel went to Arioch, whom the king had appointed to destroy the wise
men of Babylon, and said to him, 'Do not destroy the wise men of Babylon; bring me
in before the king, and I will give the king the interpretation.'

HYMN
Words: James Montgomery, 1818
Tune: Mendip

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/p/p123.html

Prayer is the soul's sincere desire,
unuttered or expressed;
the motion of a hidden fire
that trembles in the breast.

Prayer is the burden of a sigh,
the falling of a tear
the upward glancing of an eye,
when none but God is near.

Prayer is the contrite sinner's voice,
returning from his ways,
while angels in their songs rejoice
and cry, "Behold, he prays!"

The saints in prayer appear as one
in word, in deed, and mind,
while with the Father and the Son
sweet fellowship they find.

No prayer is made by man alone
the Holy Spirit pleads,
and Jesus, on th'eternal throne,
for sinners intercedes.

Prayer is the Christian's vital breath,
the Christian's native air,
his watchword at the gates of death;
he enters heaven with prayer.

O thou, by whom we come to God,
the Life, the Truth, the Way;
the path of prayer thyself hast trod:
Lord, teach us how to pray!

SECOND READING [Acts 20:17-end]:

>From Miletus he sent a message to Ephesus, asking the elders of the church to meet
him. When they came to him, he said to them:
'You yourselves know how I lived among you the entire time from the first day that I
set foot in Asia, serving the Lord with all humility and with tears, enduring the trials
that came to me through the plots of the Jews. I did not shrink from doing anything
helpful, proclaiming the message to you and teaching you publicly and from house to
house, as I testified to both Jews and Greeks about repentance towards God and faith
towards our Lord Jesus. And now, as a captive to the Spirit, I am on my way to
Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit
testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and persecutions are waiting for me. But
I do not count my life of any value to myself, if only I may finish my course and the
ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the good news of God's
grace.
'And now I know that none of you, among whom I have gone about proclaiming the
kingdom, will ever see my face again. Therefore I declare to you this day that I am not
responsible for the blood of any of you, for I did not shrink from declaring to you the
whole purpose of God. Keep watch over yourselves and over all the flock, of which
the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God that he
obtained with the blood of his own Son. I know that after I have gone, savage wolves
will come in among you, not sparing the flock. Some even from your own group will
come distorting the truth in order to entice the disciples to follow them. Therefore be
alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to warn everyone
with tears. And now I commend you to God and to the message of his grace, a
message that is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all who are
sanctified. I coveted no one's silver or gold or clothing. You know for yourselves that
I worked with my own hands to support myself and my companions. In all this I have
given you an example that by such work we must support the weak, remembering the
words of the Lord Jesus, for he himself said, "It is more blessed to give than to
receive." '
When he had finished speaking, he knelt down with them all and prayed. There was
much weeping among them all; they embraced Paul and kissed him, grieving especially
because of what he had said, that they would not see him again. Then they brought
him to the ship.

We praise you, God our creator, for your handiwork in
shaping and sustaining your wondrous creation. Especially
we thank you for
     the miracle of life and the wonder of living...
                         (We thank you, Lord.)
     particular blessings coming to us in this day...
     the resources of the earth...
     gifts of creative vision and skillful craft...
     the treasure stored in every human life...

We dare to pray for others, God our Savior, claiming your
love in Jesus Christ for the whole world, committing
ourselves to care for those around us in his name.
Especially we pray for
     those who work for the benefit of others...
                         (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     those who cannot work today...
     those who teach and those who learn...
     people who are poor...
     the Church in Europe...

Creator God,
whose life-giving Spirit
wells up with streams of living water,
sustain those whose spirits are heavy
and whose wells have run dry,
through Jesus Christ,
the rock of our salvation. Amen.

Help us so to know you that we may truly love you,
so to love you that we may fully serve you,
whose service is perfect freedom in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The canticle and collect are from _Common Worship: Daily Prayer, Preliminary

The opening prayer, intercession and closing sentence are adapted from _Book of
Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.