OREMUS: 29 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 28 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, June 29, 2008
Saint Peter and Saint Paul, Apostles

Blessed are you, almighty God, eternal Word:
we rejoice this day for the gift of your apostles Peter and Paul,
whom you chose and set apart,
that they may proclaim your word to generations to come.
You have made them bright lights in the fellowship of the apostles
and, as witnesses to the faith and love of Christ,
you have crowned them for all eternity
with the radiance of your glory,

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.
Let Israel now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let the house of Aaron now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
Let those who fear the Lord now proclaim,*
 'His mercy endures for ever.'
I called to the Lord in my distress;*
 the Lord answered by setting me free.
The Lord is at my side, therefore I will not fear;*
 what can anyone do to me?
The Lord is at my side to help me;*
 I will triumph over those who hate me.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in flesh.
It is better to rely on the Lord*
 than to put any trust in rulers.
All the ungodly encompass me;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They hem me in, they hem me in on every side;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
They swarm about me like bees;
   they blaze like a fire of thorns;*
 in the name of the Lord I will repel them.
I was pressed so hard that I almost fell,*
 but the Lord came to my help.
The Lord is my strength and my song,*
 and he has become my salvation.
There is a sound of exultation and victory*
 in the tents of the righteous:
'The right hand of the Lord has triumphed!*
 the right hand of the Lord is exalted!
   the right hand of the Lord has triumphed!'
I shall not die, but live,*
 and declare the works of the Lord.
The Lord has punished me sorely,*
 but he did not hand me over to death.
Open for me the gates of righteousness;*
 I will enter them; I will offer thanks to the Lord.
'This is the gate of the Lord;*
 whoever is righteous may enter.'
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me*
 and have become my salvation.
The same stone which the builders rejected*
 has become the chief corner-stone.
This is the Lord's doing,*
 and it is marvellous in our eyes.
On this day the Lord has acted;*
 we will rejoice and be glad in it.
Hosanna, Lord, hosanna!*
 Lord, send us now success.
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord;*
 we bless you from the house of the Lord.
God is the Lord; he has shined upon us;*
 form a procession with branches
   up to the horns of the altar.
'You are my God and I will thank you;*
 you are my God and I will exalt you.'
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;*
 his mercy endures for ever.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 34:11-16]:

For thus says the Lord God: I myself will search for my sheep, and will seek them out.
As shepherds seek out their flocks when they are among their scattered sheep, so I will
seek out my sheep. I will rescue them from all the places to which they have been
scattered on a day of clouds and thick darkness. I will bring them out from the peoples
and gather them from the countries, and will bring them into their own land; and I will
feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the watercourses, and in all the inhabited
parts of the land. I will feed them with good pasture, and the mountain heights of
Israel shall be their pasture; there they shall lie down in good grazing land, and they
shall feed on rich pasture on the mountains of Israel. I myself will be the shepherd of
my sheep, and I will make them lie down, says the Lord God. I will seek the lost, and I
will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the
weak, but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with justice.

HYMN
Words: Aurea luce, attributed to Elphis wife of Boethius (fl.493) translated by Thomas A
Lacey (1853-1931)
Tune: Annue Christe

With golden splendour and with roseate hues of morn,
O gracious Saviour, Light of light, this day adorn,
Which brings to ransomed sinners hopes of that far home
Where saints and angels sing the praise of martyrdom.

Lo, the Keybearer, lo, the Teacher of mankind,
Lights of the world and judges sent to loose and bind,
Alike triumphant or by cross or sword-stroke found,
In life's high Senate stand with victor's laurel crowned.

Good Shepherd, Peter, unto whom the charge was given
To close or open ways of pilgrimage to heaven,
In sin's hard bondage held may we have grace to know
The full remission thou wast granted to bestow.

O noble Teacher, Paul, we trust to learn of thee
Both earthly converse and the flight of ecstasy;
Till from the fading truths that now we know in part
We pass to fulness of delight for mind and heart.

Twin olive branches, pouring oil of gladness forth,
Your prayers shall aid us, that for all our little worth,
Believing, hoping, loving, we for whom ye plead,
This body dying, may attain to life indeed.

Now to the glorious Trinity be duly paid
Worship and honour, praise and service unafraid,
Who in unchanging Unity, one Lord sublime,
Hath ever lived as now and to unending time.

SECOND READING [Galatians 1:13-2:8]:

You have heard, no doubt, of my earlier life in Judaism.
I was violently persecuting the church of God and was
trying to destroy it. I advanced in Judaism beyond many
among my people of the same age, for I was far more
zealous for the traditions of my ancestors. But when God,
who had set me apart before I was born and called me
through his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me,
so that I might proclaim him among the Gentiles, I did
not confer with any human being, nor did I go up to
Jerusalem to those who were already apostles before me,
but I went away at once into Arabia, and afterwards I
returned to Damascus.
Then after three years I did go up to Jerusalem to visit
Cephas and stayed with him for fifteen days; but I did
not see any other apostle except James the Lord's
brother. In what I am writing to you, before God, I do
not lie! Then I went into the regions of Syria and
Cilicia, and I was still unknown by sight to the churches
of Judea that are in Christ; they only heard it said,
'The one who formerly was persecuting us is now
proclaiming the faith he once tried to destroy.' And they
glorified God because of me.
Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem
with Barnabas, taking Titus along with me. I went up in
response to a revelation. Then I laid before them (though
only in a private meeting with the acknowledged leaders)
the gospel that I proclaim among the Gentiles, in order
to make sure that I was not running, or had not run, in
vain. But even Titus, who was with me, was not compelled
to be circumcised, though he was a Greek. But because of
false believers secretly brought in, who slipped in to
spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus, so that they
might enslave us  we did not submit to them even for a
moment, so that the truth of the gospel might always
remain with you. And from those who were supposed to be
acknowledged leaders (what they actually were makes no
difference to me; God shows no partiality) those leaders
contributed nothing to me. On the contrary, when they saw
that I had been entrusted with the gospel for the
uncircumcised, just as Peter had been entrusted with the
gospel for the circumcised (for he who worked through
Peter making him an apostle to the circumcised also
worked through me in sending me to the Gentiles).

Encouraged by our fellowship with all the saints,
let us make our prayers to the Father through our Lord
Jesus Christ.

Father, your Son called men and women to leave the
past behind them and to follow him as his disciples in
the way of the cross.  Look with mercy upon those whom he
has called today, marked with the cross and made his
disciples within the Church.
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son told his disciples not to be afraid, and at
Easter breathed on them his gift of peace.  Look with
mercy upon the world into which he sent them out, and
give it that peace for which it longs
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son formed around him a company who were no
longer servants but friends, and he called all those who
obeyed him his brother and sister and mother.  Look with
mercy upon our families and friends and upon the
communities in which we share
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son sent out disciples to preach and to heal the
sick.  Look with mercy on all those who yearn to hear the
good news of salvation, and renew among your people the
gifts of healing
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son promised to those who followed him that they
would sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel
and would share the banquet of the kingdom.  According to
your promise, look with mercy on those who have walked
with Christ in this life and now have passed through
death
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Pursuing, shepherding, and converting God,
your risen Son appeared to both Peter and Paul,
undoing their past,
claiming them for the work of your Church,
spilling them out as witnesses to a deeper love.
Undo and claim us,
that we too may finish the race
you set before us in Christ Jesus. Amen.

Teach us always to reverence and love
your holy name that you have revealed to us
in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on a
prayer in _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic

The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

The collect is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours
of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997
by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

The Confession of Peter ("Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God") is
commemorated on 18 January, and the Conversion of Paul (on the approach to Damascus)
a week later on 25 January. On 29 June we commemorate the martyrdoms of both
apostles. The date is the anniversary of a day around 258, under the Valerian persecution,
when what were believed to be the remains of the two apostles were both moved
temporarily to prevent them from falling into the hands of the persecutors.
The Scriptures do not record the deaths of Peter or Paul, or indeed any of the Apostles
except for James the son of Zebedee (Acts 12:2), but they are clearly anticipated (see the
readings below), and from an early date it has been said that they were martyred at Rome
at the command of the Emperor Nero, and buried there. As a Roman citizen, Paul would
probably have been beheaded with a sword. It is said of Peter that he was crucified head
downward. The present Church of St Peter in Rome replaces earlier churches built on the
same site going back to the time of the Emperor Constantine, in whose reign a church was
built there on what was believed to be the burial site of Peter. Excavations under the
church suggest that the belief is older than Constantine.
St. Augustine writes (Sermon 295): Both apostles share the same feast day, for these two
were one; and even though they suffered on different days, they were as one. Peter went
first, and Paul followed. And so we celebrate this day made holy for us by the apostles'
blood. Let us embrace what they believed, their life, their labors, their sufferings, their
preaching, and their confession of faith.