OREMUS: 26 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 25 17:15:38 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, June 26, 2008

Blessed are you, Faithful God,
shaper of goodness and beauty out of the shadows of chaos.
You gladdened the soul of all creation
with stunning sunsets, clear-streamed valleys,
mountains towering into the sky.
These gifts, as well as your hopes and dreams, were for us,
but we sent them away into the wilderness of forgetfulness,
choosing to live in the long days of rebellion.
Seeking to unite us with you once more,
you sent Jesus, to baptize us with your life,
even as he was baptized into death for us.

I will exalt you, O Lord,
   because you have lifted me up*
 and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O Lord my God, I cried out to you,*
 and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O Lord, from the dead;*
 you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the Lord, you servants of his;*
 give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye,*
 his favour for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night,*
 but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
   'I shall never be disturbed.*
 You, Lord, with your favour,
   made me as strong as the mountains.'
Then you hid your face,*
 and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O Lord;*
 I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
'What profit is there in my blood,
   if I go down to the Pit?*
 will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
'Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me;*
 O Lord, be my helper.'
You have turned my wailing into dancing;*
 you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy;
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing;*
 O Lord my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

Psalm 31:1-6

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
   let me never be put to shame;*
 deliver me in your righteousness.
Incline your ear to me;*
 make haste to deliver me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
   for you are my crag and my stronghold;*
 for the sake of your name, lead me and guide me.
Take me out of the net
   that they have secretly set for me,*
 for you are my tower of strength.
Into your hands I commend my spirit,*
 for you have redeemed me,
   O Lord, O God of truth.

A Song of Trust (Isaiah 26.1-4,7-9,12)

We have a strong city; he sets up salvation as walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates, that the righteous nation which keeps faith
may enter in.
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you,
because he trusts in you.
Trust in the Lord for ever,
for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.
The way of the righteous is level;
you who are upright make smooth the path of the righteous.
In the path of your judgements, O Lord, we wait for you;
your name and renown is the desire of our soul.
My soul yearns for you in the night,
my spirit within me earnestly seeks you.
For when your judgements are in the earth,
the inhabitants of the world learn righteousness.
O Lord, you will ordain peace for us,
for indeed all that we have done you have done for us.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [1 Maccabees 4:52-end]:

 Early in the morning on the twenty-fifth day of the ninth month, which is the month of
Chislev, in the one hundred and forty-eighth year, they rose and offered sacrifice, as
the law directs, on the new altar of burnt-offering that they had built. At the very
season and on the very day that the Gentiles had profaned it, it was dedicated with
songs and harps and lutes and cymbals. All the people fell on their faces and
worshipped and blessed Heaven, who had prospered them. So they celebrated the
dedication of the altar for eight days, and joyfully offered burnt-offerings; they offered
a sacrifice of well-being and a thanksgiving-offering. They decorated the front of the
temple with golden crowns and small shields; they restored the gates and the chambers
for the priests, and fitted them with doors. There was very great joy among the people,
and the disgrace brought by the Gentiles was removed.
Then Judas and his brothers and all the assembly of Israel determined that every year
at that season the days of dedication of the altar should be observed with joy and
gladness for eight days, beginning with the twenty-fifth day of the month of
Chislev.
At that time they fortified Mount Zion with high walls and strong towers all round, to
keep the Gentiles from coming and trampling them down as they had done before.
Judas stationed a garrison there to guard it; he also fortified Beth-zur to guard it, so
that the people might have a stronghold that faced Idumea.

HYMN
Words: Jonathan Friedrich Bahnmaier, 1827;
trans. Catherine Winkworth, 1858
Tune: Gott sei Dank

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s323.html

Spread, O spread, thou mighty Word,
spread the kingdom of the Lord,
whersoe'er his breath has given,
life to beings meant for heaven.

Tell them how the Father's will
made the world, and keeps it still,
how he sent his Son to save
all who help and comfort crave.

Tell of our Redeemer's love,
who forever doth remove
by his holy sacrifice
all the guilt that on us lies.

Tell them of the Spirit given
now to guide us up to heaven,
strong and holy, just and true,
working both to will and do.

Word of life, most pure and strong,
lo! for thee the nations long,
spread, till from its dreary night
all the world awakes to light.

Up! the ripening fields ye see,
mighty shall the harvest be;
but the reapers still are few,
great the work they have to do.

Lord of harvest, let there be
joy and strength to work for thee,
till the nations, far and near,
see thy light, and learn thy fear.

SECOND READING [Acts 19:8-20]:

Paul entered the synagogue and for three months spoke out boldly, and argued
persuasively about the kingdom of God. When some stubbornly refused to believe and
spoke evil of the Way before the congregation, he left them, taking the disciples with
him, and argued daily in the lecture hall of Tyrannus. This continued for two years, so
that all the residents of Asia, both Jews and Greeks, heard the word of the Lord.
The Sons of Sceva
God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, so that when the handkerchiefs or
aprons that had touched his skin were brought to the sick, their diseases left them, and
the evil spirits came out of them. Then some itinerant Jewish exorcists tried to use the
name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, 'I adjure you by the
Jesus whom Paul proclaims.' Seven sons of a Jewish high priest named Sceva were
doing this. But the evil spirit said to them in reply, 'Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but
who are you?' Then the man with the evil spirit leapt on them, mastered them all, and
so overpowered them that they fled out of the house naked and wounded. When this
became known to all residents of Ephesus, both Jews and Greeks, everyone was
awestruck; and the name of the Lord Jesus was praised. Also many of those who
became believers confessed and disclosed their practices. A number of those who
practised magic collected their books and burned them publicly; when the value of
these books was calculated, it was found to come to fifty thousand silver coins. So the
word of the Lord grew mightily and prevailed.

God of the apostles and martyrs,
we thank you for the hope that is from the beginning.
We bless you for the good news of Jesus
crucified, risen, and interceding for us
until his coming again in glory.

We commend to your care
all who walk and weep in grief and regret.

We pray in hope of your mercy.

We commend to you
all who live far from your image.
We pray in hope of your salvation.

We commend Holy Church,
We pray in hope of your glory.

We commend to your justice all peoples
who participate in oppression, strife and domination of others.
We pray in hope of your justice and peace.

We commend to you all who have died.
We pray in hope of your resurrection.

We commend to you our unfinished business.
We pray in hope of rest in you.

God our Father,
glorious in giving and restoring life,
do not hide your face from your people
overcome with loneliness and fear;
turn our mourning into dancing
and raise us up with your Son,
that we may rejoice in your presence for ever. Amen.

Teach us always to reverence and love
your holy name that you have revealed to us
in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Thom Shurman and the closing sentence
is adapted from prayers by Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of
Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order
of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com