OREMUS: 25 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jun 24 17:01:21 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Blessed are you, Faithful God,
shaper of goodness and beauty out of the shadows of chaos.
You gladdened the soul of all creation
with stunning sunsets, clear-streamed valleys,
mountains towering into the sky.
These gifts, as well as your hopes and dreams, were for us,
but we sent them away into the wilderness of forgetfulness,
choosing to live in the long days of rebellion.
Seeking to unite us with you once more,
you sent Jesus, to baptize us with your life,
even as he was baptized into death for us.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Redemption (Colossians 1.13-18a,19,20a)

The Father has delivered us from the dominion of darkness,
and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son;
In whom we have redemption,
the forgiveness of our sins.
He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn of all creation.
For in him all things were created,
in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible.
All things were created through him and for him,
he is before all things and in him all things hold together.
He is the head of the body, the Church,
he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead.
In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell;
and through him God was pleased to reconcile all things.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [1 Maccabees 4:52-end]:

Early in the morning on the twenty-fifth day of the ninth month, which is the month of
Chislev, in the one hundred and forty-eighth year, they rose and offered sacrifice, as
the law directs, on the new altar of burnt-offering that they had built. At the very
season and on the very day that the Gentiles had profaned it, it was dedicated with
songs and harps and lutes and cymbals. All the people fell on their faces and
worshipped and blessed Heaven, who had prospered them. So they celebrated the
dedication of the altar for eight days, and joyfully offered burnt-offerings; they offered
a sacrifice of well-being and a thanksgiving-offering. They decorated the front of the
temple with golden crowns and small shields; they restored the gates and the chambers
for the priests, and fitted them with doors. There was very great joy among the people,
and the disgrace brought by the Gentiles was removed.
Then Judas and his brothers and all the assembly of Israel determined that every year
at that season the days of dedication of the altar should be observed with joy and
gladness for eight days, beginning with the twenty-fifth day of the month of
Chislev.
At that time they fortified Mount Zion with high walls and strong towers all round, to
keep the Gentiles from coming and trampling them down as they had done before.
Judas stationed a garrison there to guard it; he also fortified Beth-zur to guard it, so
that the people might have a stronghold that faced Idumea.

HYMN
Words: Gerhard Tersteegen, 1729; trans. John Wesley, 1739
Tune: Old 112th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l183.html

Lo, God is here! let us adore,
and own how dreadful is this place!
Let all within us feel his power,
and silent bow before his face:
who know his power, his grace who prove,
serve him with aw, with reverence love.

Lo, God is here! him day and night
united choirs of angels sing;
to him, enthroned above all height,
heaven's host their noblest praises bring.
Disdain not, Lord, our meaner song,
who praise thee with a stammering tongue.

Almighty Lord, may this our praise
thy courts with grateful fragrance fill
still may we stand before thy face,
still hear and do thy sovereign will;
to thee may all our thoughts arise,
ceaseless, accepted sacrifice.

SECOND READING [Acts 18:24-19:7]:

Now there came to Ephesus a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria. He was an
eloquent man, well-versed in the scriptures. He had been instructed in the Way of the
Lord; and he spoke with burning enthusiasm and taught accurately the things
concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John. He began to speak boldly
in the synagogue; but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and
explained the Way of God to him more accurately. And when he wished to cross over
to Achaia, the believers encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him.
On his arrival he greatly helped those who through grace had become believers, for he
powerfully refuted the Jews in public, showing by the scriptures that the Messiah is
Jesus.
While Apollos was in Corinth, Paul passed through the inland regions and came to
Ephesus, where he found some disciples. He said to them, 'Did you receive the Holy
Spirit when you became believers?' They replied, 'No, we have not even heard that
there is a Holy Spirit.' Then he said, 'Into what then were you baptized?' They
answered, 'Into John's baptism.' Paul said, 'John baptized with the baptism of
repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is,
in Jesus.' On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. When
Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in
tongues and prophesied  altogether there were about twelve of them.

Bountiful God, you give us every good gift;
hear us as we offer our prayers to you.

We pray for our family and friends
and for all who are dear to us,
that in following you and rejoicing in your mercy,
they may share in your joy for ever.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are worn by their work,
for older persons and for children,
that they may know you are the strength of the weak
and the refuge of the distressed.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who follow Christ,
that they may grow in their sense of discipleship
and calling to proclaim the Good News to others.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all in the medical professions,
that they may work wisely to promote health,
knowing that you are source of all healing.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are persecuted
for the sake of righteousness
and for all who are oppressed,
that they may gain the true liberation which comes from you alone.
Bountiful God,
hear our prayer.

Faithful God,
the shelter of all who hope in you,
may those who seek your face
be set free from fear and distress,
and come to see your goodness
in the land of the living;
through Jesus Christ, our Light and our Salvation. Amen.

Teach us always to reverence and love
your holy name that you have revealed to us
in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Thom Shurman and the closing sentence
is adapted from prayers by Alan Griffiths. The intercession is by Stephen Benner.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com