OREMUS: 23 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 22 21:01:10 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, June 23, 2008
Etheldreda, Abbess of Ely, c.678

Blessed are you, Faithful God,
shaper of goodness and beauty out of the shadows of chaos.
You gladdened the soul of all creation
with stunning sunsets, clear-streamed valleys,
mountains towering into the sky.
These gifts, as well as your hopes and dreams, were for us,
but we sent them away into the wilderness of forgetfulness,
choosing to live in the long days of rebellion.
Seeking to unite us with you once more,
you sent Jesus, to baptize us with your life,
even as he was baptized into death for us.

O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!
Out of the mouths of infants and children*
 your majesty is praised above the heavens.
You have set up a stronghold against your adversaries,*
 to quell the enemy and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,*
 the moon and the stars you have set in their courses,
What are mortals, that you should be mindful of them?*
 mere human beings, that you should seek them out?
You have made them little lower than the angels;*
 you adorn them with glory and honour.
You give them mastery over the works of your hands;*
 and put all things under their feet,
All sheep and oxen,*
 even the wild beasts of the field,
The birds of the air, the fish of the sea,*
 and whatsoever walks in the paths of the sea.
O Lord our governor,*
 how exalted is your name in all the world!

Psalm 19

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

A Song of the Blessed (Matthew 5.3-10)

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger
and thirst after righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.
Blessed are those who suffer persecution
for righteousness' sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Rejoice and be glad
for you are the light of the world,
and great is your reward in heaven.

FIRST READING [1 Maccabees 3:1-9]:

His son Judas, who was called Maccabeus, took command in his place. All his brothers
and all who had joined his father helped him; they gladly fought for Israel.
He extended the glory of his people.
   Like a giant he put on his breastplate;
he bound on his armour of war and waged battles,
   protecting the camp by his sword.
He was like a lion in his deeds,
   like a lion's cub roaring for prey.
He searched out and pursued those who broke the law;
   he burned those who troubled his people.
Lawbreakers shrank back for fear of him;
   all the evildoers were confounded;
   and deliverance prospered by his hand.
He embittered many kings,
   but he made Jacob glad by his deeds,
   and his memory is blessed for ever.
He went through the cities of Judah;
   he destroyed the ungodly out of the land;
   thus he turned away wrath from Israel.
He was renowned to the ends of the earth;
   he gathered in those who were perishing.

HYMN
Words: Edward Hayes Plumptre, 1864
Tune: St. Matthew

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t513.html

Thine arm, O Lord, in days of old
was strong to heal and save;
it triumphed o'er disease and death,
o'er darkness and the grave.
To thee they went, the blind, the dumb,
the palsied, and the lame,
the leper with his tainted life,
the sick with fevered frame.

And lo! thy touch brought life and health,
gave hearing, strength, and sight;
and youth renewed and frenzy calmed
owned thee, the Lord of light:
and now, O Lord, be near to bless,
almighty as of yore,
in crowded street, by restless couch,
as by Gennesaret's shore.

Be thou our great deliverer still,
thou Lord of life and death;
restore and quicken, soothe and bless,
with thine almighty breath:
to hands that work and eyes that see,
give wisdom's heavenly lore,
that whole and sick, and weak and strong,
may praise thee evermore.

SECOND READING [Acts 18:1-11]:

Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. There he found a Jew named Aquila, a native of
Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had
ordered all Jews to leave Rome. Paul went to see them, and, because he was of the
same trade, he stayed with them, and they worked together by trade they were
tentmakers. Every sabbath he would argue in the synagogue and would try to convince
Jews and Greeks.
When Silas and Timothy arrived from Macedonia, Paul was occupied with proclaiming
the word, testifying to the Jews that the Messiah was Jesus. When they opposed and
reviled him, in protest he shook the dust from his clothes and said to them, 'Your
blood be on your own heads! I am innocent. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.'
Then he left the synagogue and went to the house of a man named Titius Justus, a
worshipper of God; his house was next door to the synagogue. Crispus, the official of
the synagogue, became a believer in the Lord, together with all his household; and
many of the Corinthians who heard Paul became believers and were baptized. One
night the Lord said to Paul in a vision, 'Do not be afraid, but speak and do not be
silent; for I am with you, and no one will lay a hand on you to harm you, for there are
many in this city who are my people.' He stayed there for a year and six months,
teaching the word of God among them.

Merciful God,
you give us every good gift.
Hear our prayers which we now offer
through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

We pray for your Church.
May our divisions be healed,
that we may go into the world proclaiming your Good News.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for the physical and spiritual well-being
of our family and friends,
that they may rejoice in your mercy and love
and share in your joy in your heavenly Kingdom.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who work,
especially those who are stressed or overwhelmed,
that they may know you are their refuge and strength.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

We pray for those who are persecuted
for fighting for justice and liberty,
that they may remember that you are the source
of all things just and free.
Lord, in your mercy:
hear our prayer.

Gracious Creator of heaven and earth,
your Word has come among us
as the true Sun of Righteousness,
and the Good News of his birth
has gone out to the ends of the world:
Open our eyes to the light of your law,
that we may be freed from sin
and serve you without reproach
for the sake of Jesus Christ, our Light and our Life. Amen.

Eternal God,
who bestowed such grace upon your servant Ethelreda
that she gave herself wholly to the life of prayer
and to the service of your true religion:
grant that we, like her,
may so live our lives on earth seeking your kingdom
that by your guiding
we may be joined to the glorious fellowship of your saints;

Teach us always to reverence and love
your holy name that you have revealed to us
in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Thom Shurman and the closing sentence
is adapted from prayers by Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is by Stephen Benner.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

Etheldreda, also called Audrey, was born in Suffolk early in the seventh
century, a daughter of the king. She desired to commit her life to prayer and
chastity and, after two arranged and unconsummated marriages, founded a
religious house at Ely for both men and women, over which she ruled as
Abbess. At her death on this day in the year 678, she was revered as a woman
of austerity, prayer and prophecy. [Exciting Holiness]