OREMUS: 22 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 21 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Sunday, June 22, 2008
The Sixth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Faithful God,
shaper of goodness and beauty out of the shadows of chaos.
You gladdened the soul of all creation
with stunning sunsets, clear-streamed valleys,
mountains towering into the sky.
These gifts, as well as your hopes and dreams, were for us,
but we sent them away into the wilderness of forgetfulness,
choosing to live in the long days of rebellion.
Seeking to unite us with you once more,
you sent Jesus, to baptize us with your life,
even as he was baptized into death for us.

Be joyful in God, all you lands;*
 sing the glory of his name;
   sing the glory of his praise.
Say to God, 'How awesome are your deeds!*
 because of your great strength
   your enemies cringe before you.
'All the earth bows down before you,*
 sings to you, sings out your name.'
Come now and see the works of God,*
 how wonderful he is in his doing towards all people.
He turned the sea into dry land,
   so that they went through the water on foot,*
 and there we rejoiced in him.
In his might he rules for ever;
   his eyes keep watch over the nations;*
 let no rebel rise up against him.
Bless our God, you peoples;*
 make the voice of his praise to be heard;
Who holds our souls in life,*
 and will not allow our feet to slip.
For you, O God, have proved us;*
 you have tried us just as silver is tried.
You brought us into the snare;*
 you laid heavy burdens upon our backs.
You let enemies ride over our heads;
   we went through fire and water;*
 but you brought us out into a place of refreshment.
I will enter your house with burnt-offerings
   and will pay you my vows,*
 which I promised with my lips
   and spoke with my mouth when I was in trouble.
I will offer you sacrifices of fat beasts
   with the smoke of rams;*
 I will give you oxen and goats.
Come and listen, all you who fear God,*
 and I will tell you what he has done for me.
I called out to him with my mouth,*
 and his praise was on my tongue.
If I had found evil in my heart,*
 the Lord would not have heard me;
But in truth God has heard me;*
 he has attended to the voice of my prayer.
Blessed be God, who has not rejected my prayer,*
 nor withheld his love from me.

Bless the Lord (The Song of the Three 29-34)

Blessed are you, the God of our ancestors,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed is your holy and glorious name,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you, in your holy and glorious temple,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you who look into the depths,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you, enthroned on the cherubim,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you on the throne of your kingdom,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.
Blessed are you in the heights of heaven,
worthy to be praised and exalted for ever.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Proverbs 3:1-7,11-12]:

My child, do not forget my teaching,
   but let your heart keep my commandments;
for length of days and years of life
   and abundant welfare they will give you.

Do not let loyalty and faithfulness forsake you;
   bind them round your neck,
   write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favour and good repute
   in the sight of God and of people.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
   and do not rely on your own insight.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
   and he will make straight your paths.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
   fear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
My child, do not despise the Lord's discipline
   or be weary of his reproof,
for the Lord reproves the one he loves,
   as a father the son in whom he delights.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: Gersau

Son of God, if thy free grace
Again has raised me up,
Called me still to seek thy face,
And given me back my hope:
Still thy timely help afford,
And all thy loving-kindness show:
Keep me, keep me, gracious Lord,
And never let me go!

By me, O my Saviour, stand
In sore temptation's hour;
Save me with thine outstretched hand,
And show forth all thy power;
O be mindful of thy word,
Thy all-sufficient grace bestow:
Keep me, keep me, gracious Lord,
And never let me go!

Give me, Lord, a holy fear,
And fix it in my heart,
That I may from evil near
With timely care depart;
Sin be more than hell abhorred;
Till thou destroy the tyrant foe,
Keep me, keep me, gracious Lord,
And never let me go!

Never let me leave thy breast,
>From thee, my Saviour, stray;
Thou art my support and rest,
My true and living way;
My exceeding great reward,
In heav'n above and earth below:
Keep me, keep me, gracious Lord,
And never let me go!

SECOND READING [Luke 14:25-end]:

Now large crowds were travelling with him; and he turned and said to them, 'Whoever
comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and
sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry the cross
and follow me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, does
not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it?
Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it will
begin to ridicule him, saying, "This fellow began to build and was not able to finish." Or
what king, going out to wage war against another king, will not sit down first and
consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes against him
with twenty thousand? If he cannot, then, while the other is still far away, he sends a
delegation and asks for the terms of peace. So therefore, none of you can become my
disciple if you do not give up all your possessions.
 'Salt is good; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is fit
neither for the soil nor for the manure heap; they throw it away. Let anyone with ears to
hear listen!'

Let us bring our prayers in faith to the Lord who calls us not to be afraid.

We pray for the unity of all Christian people: may we proclaim together the Gospel of
Jesus Christ. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for our young people: may our loving care and support help them to grow in
faith even when they face times that may be challenging and uncertain. Lord, in your
mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the people of Zimbabwe, in the run-up to the election in their country: may
their land know true justice, peace and a fair sharing of resources, free from fear and
oppression. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for the peoples of the Holy Land, and the attempts to maintain a truce in Gaza:
may those of different races, nations and beliefs learn to live together in mutual trust and
reconciliation. Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for those affected by the floods in the American Midwest: may those who have
lost homes and crops have the strength and the help they need to rebuild their lives.
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

We pray for Afghanistan, and for all those who are seeking to bring peace; and
especially we remember all those who have been killed or injured through acts of
violence.Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father, we bring our prayers to you in faith, trusting in your loving care for us.
We ask you to hear our prayers, through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

Pour out upon us, O God,
the power and wisdom of your Spirit,
that we may walk with Christ the way of the cross,
ready to offer even the gift of our lives
to show forth to the world our hope in your kingdom.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Teach us always to reverence and love
your holy name that you have revealed to us
in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer is adapted from a prayer by Thom Shurman and the closing sentence
is adapted from prayers by Alan Griffiths.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers

The collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster /
John Knox Press.