OREMUS: 21 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 20 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Saturday, June 21, 2008

Blessed are you, God and Father of all believers!
You summoned our forebear Abram
to follow you in ways he did not know
and put his faith in things he could not see.
You bless all who honor him as their ancestor
and invite us to come together in understanding
and reverence for your name.

Hear, O Shepherd of Israel, leading Joseph like a flock;*
 shine forth, you that are enthroned upon the cherubim.
In the presence of Ephraim, Benjamin and Manasseh,*
 stir up your strength and come to help us.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
O Lord God of hosts,*
 how long will you be angered
   despite the prayers of your people?
You have fed them with the bread of tears;*
 you have given them bowls of tears to drink.
You have made us the derision of our neighbours,*
 and our enemies laugh us to scorn.
Restore us, O God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.
You have brought a vine out of Egypt;*
 you cast out the nations and planted it.
You prepared the ground for it;*
 it took root and filled the land.
The mountains were covered by its shadow*
 and the towering cedar trees by its boughs.
You stretched out its tendrils to the Sea*
 and its branches to the River.
Why have you broken down its wall,*
 so that all who pass by pluck off its grapes?
The wild boar of the forest has ravaged it,*
 and the beasts of the field have grazed upon it.
Turn now, O God of hosts, look down from heaven;
   behold and tend this vine;*
 preserve what your right hand has planted.
They burn it with fire like rubbish;*
 at the rebuke of your countenance let them perish.
Let your hand be upon the man of your right hand,*
 the son of man you have made so strong for yourself.
And so will we never turn away from you;*
 give us life, that we may call upon your name.
Restore us, O Lord God of hosts;*
 show the light of your countenance
   and we shall be saved.

A Song of the Lord's Gracious Deeds (Isaiah 63.1-3a,7-9)

Who is this that comes from Edom,
coming from Bozrah, his garments stained crimson?
Who is this in glorious apparel,
marching in the greatness of his strength?
'It is I, who announce that right has won the day,
it is I,' says the Lord, 'for I am mighty to save.'
Why are your robes all red, O Lord,
and your garments like theirs who tread the winepress?
'I have trodden the winepress alone,
and from the peoples no one was with me.'
I will recount the gracious deeds of the Lord,
the praises of the Most High;
All that God has done for us in his mercy,
by his many acts of love.
For God said, 'Surely, they are my people,
my children who will not deal falsely,'
and he became their Saviour in all their distress.
So God redeemed them by his love and pity;
he lifted them up and carried them
through all the days of old.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [1 Maccabees 2:49-52,61-70]:

Now the days drew near for Mattathias to die, and he said to his sons: 'Arrogance and
scorn have now become strong; it is a time of ruin and furious anger. Now, my
children, show zeal for the law, and give your lives for the covenant of our
ancestors.
'Remember the deeds of the ancestors, which they did in their generations; and you
will receive great honour and an everlasting name. Was not Abraham found faithful
when tested, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness?
'And so observe, from generation to generation, that none of those who put their trust
in him will lack strength. Do not fear the words of sinners, for their splendour will turn
into dung and worms. Today they will be exalted, but tomorrow they will not be
found, because they will have returned to the dust, and their plans will have perished.
My children, be courageous and grow strong in the law, for by it you will gain
honour.
'Here is your brother Simeon who, I know, is wise in counsel; always listen to him; he
shall be your father. Judas Maccabeus has been a mighty warrior from his youth; he
shall command the army for you and fight the battle against the peoples. You shall
rally around you all who observe the law, and avenge the wrong done to your people.
Pay back the Gentiles in full, and obey the commands of the law.'
Then he blessed them, and was gathered to his ancestors. He died in the one hundred
and forty-sixth year and was buried in the tomb of his ancestors at Modein. And all
Israel mourned for him with great lamentation.

HYMN
Words: Jeffery Rowthorn   1978 by Hope Publishing Co. Used with permission.
Tune: Abbot's Leigh

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l520.html

Lord, you give the great commission:
"Heal the sick and preach the word."
Lest the Church neglect its mission
and the Gospel go unheard,
help us witness to your purpose
with renewed integrity;
with the Spirit's gifts empower us
for the work of ministry.

Lord, you call us to your service:
"In my name baptize and teach."
That the world may trust your promise,
life abundant meant for each,
give us all new fervor,
draw us closer in community;
with the Spirit's gifts empower us
for the work of ministry.

Lord, you make the common holy:
"This my body, this my blood."
Let your priests, for earth's true glory,
daily lift life heavenward,
asking that world around us
share your children's liberty;
with the Spirit's gifts empower us
for the work of ministry.

Lord, you show us love's true measure:
"Father, what they do, forgive."
Yet we hoard as private treasure
all that you so freely give.
May your care and mercy lead us
to a just society;
with the Spirit's gifts empower us
for the work of ministry.

Lord, you bless with words assuring:
"I am with you to the end."
Faith and hope and love restoring,
may we serve as you intend,
and, amid the cares that claim us,
hold in mind eternity;
with the Spirit's gifts empower us
for the work of ministry.

SECOND READING [Acts 17:16-end]:

While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was deeply distressed to see that the
city was full of idols. So he argued in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout
persons, and also in the market-place every day with those who happened to be there.
Also some Epicurean and Stoic philosophers debated with him. Some said, 'What does
this babbler want to say?' Others said, 'He seems to be a proclaimer of foreign
divinities.' (This was because he was telling the good news about Jesus and the
resurrection.) So they took him and brought him to the Areopagus and asked him,
'May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting? It sounds rather
strange to us, so we would like to know what it means.' Now all the Athenians and the
foreigners living there would spend their time in nothing but telling or hearing
something new.
Then Paul stood in front of the Areopagus and said, 'Athenians, I see how extremely
religious you are in every way. For as I went through the city and looked carefully at
the objects of your worship, I found among them an altar with the inscription, "To an
unknown god." What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The
God who made the world and everything in it, he who is Lord of heaven and earth,
does not live in shrines made by human hands, nor is he served by human hands, as
though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mortals life and breath and all
things. From one ancestor he made all nations to inhabit the whole earth, and he
allotted the times of their existence and the boundaries of the places where they would
live, so that they would search for God and perhaps grope for him and find
him though indeed he is not far from each one of us. For "In him we live and move
and have our being"; as even some of your own poets have said, "For we too are his
offspring." Since we are God's offspring, we ought not to think that the deity is like
gold, or silver, or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of mortals. While
God has overlooked the times of human ignorance, now he commands all people
everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which he will have the world
judged in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed, and of this he has given
assurance to all by raising him from the dead.'
When they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some scoffed; but others said, 'We
will hear you again about this.' At that point Paul left them. But some of them joined
him and became believers, including Dionysius the Areopagite and a woman named
Damaris, and others with them.

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;

may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, our Good Shepherd:
you have led us to the kingdom of your Father's love.
Forgive our careless indifference
to your loving care for all your creatures,
and remake us in the likeness of your new and risen life.
We ask this in your Name. Amen.

God of all trust,
may our faith be shown in our lives
marked with abundant joy, outrageous hope,
and dependence on nothing
but your word, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from prayers by
Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com