OREMUS: 20 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jun 19 17:00:09 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Friday, June 20, 2008

Blessed are you, God and Father of all believers!
You summoned our forebear Abram
to follow you in ways he did not know
and put his faith in things he could not see.
You bless all who honor him as their ancestor
and invite us to come together in understanding
and reverence for your name.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*
 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of the Covenant (Isaiah 42.5-8a)

Thus says God, who created the heavens,
who fashioned the earth and all that dwells in it;
Who gives breath to the people upon it
and spirit to those who walk in it,
'I am the Lord and I have called you in righteousness,
I have taken you by the hand and kept you;
'I have given you as a covenant to the people,
a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind,
'To bring out the captives from the dungeon,
from the prison, those who sit in darkness.
'I am the Lord, that is my name;
my glory I give to no other.'

 and a two-edged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [1 Maccabees 2:31-43]:

And it was reported to the king's officers, and to the troops in Jerusalem the city of
David, that those who had rejected the king's command had gone down to the
hiding-places in the wilderness. Many pursued them, and overtook them; they
encamped opposite them and prepared for battle against them on the sabbath day.
They said to them, 'Enough of this! Come out and do what the king commands, and
you will live.' But they said, 'We will not come out, nor will we do what the king
commands and so profane the sabbath day.' Then the enemy quickly attacked them.
But they did not answer them or hurl a stone at them or block up their hiding-places,
for they said, 'Let us all die in our innocence; heaven and earth testify for us that you
are killing us unjustly.' So they attacked them on the sabbath, and they died, with their
wives and children and livestock, to the number of a thousand people.
When Mattathias and his friends learned of it, they mourned for them deeply. And all
said to their neighbours: 'If we all do as our kindred have done and refuse to fight with
the Gentiles for our lives and for our ordinances, they will quickly destroy us from the
earth.' So they made this decision that day: 'Let us fight against anyone who comes to
attack us on the sabbath day; let us not all die as our kindred died in their
hiding-places.'
Then there united with them a company of Hasideans, mighty warriors of Israel, all
who offered themselves willingly for the law. And all who became fugitives to escape
their troubles joined them and reinforced them.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Tune: Croft's 136th

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w081.html

We give immortal praise
To God the Father's love,
For all our comforts here,
And better hopes above.
He sent his own eternal Son
To die for sins that man had done,

To God the Son belongs
Immortal glory too,
Who bought us with his blood
>From everlasting woe:
And now he lives, and now he reigns,
And sees the fruit of all his pains.

To God the Spirit's name
Immortal worship give,
Whose new-creating power
Makes the dead sinner live:
His work completes the great design,
And fills the soul with joy divine.

Almighty God, to thee
Be endless honours done,
The undivided three,
And the mysterious one:
Where reason fails with all her powers,
There faith prevails, and love adores.

SECOND READING [Acts 17:1-15]:

After Paul and Silas had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to
Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. And Paul went in, as was his
custom, and on three sabbath days argued with them from the scriptures, explaining
and proving that it was necessary for the Messiah to suffer and to rise from the dead,
and saying, 'This is the Messiah, Jesus whom I am proclaiming to you.' Some of them
were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, as did a great many of the devout Greeks
and not a few of the leading women. But the Jews became jealous, and with the help
of some ruffians in the market-places they formed a mob and set the city in an uproar.
While they were searching for Paul and Silas to bring them out to the assembly, they
attacked Jason's house. When they could not find them, they dragged Jason and some
believers before the city authorities, shouting, 'These people who have been turning
the world upside down have come here also, and Jason has entertained them as guests.
They are all acting contrary to the decrees of the emperor, saying that there is another
king named Jesus.' The people and the city officials were disturbed when they heard
this, and after they had taken bail from Jason and the others, they let them go.
That very night the believers sent Paul and Silas off to Beroea; and when they arrived,
they went to the Jewish synagogue. These Jews were more receptive than those in
Thessalonica, for they welcomed the message very eagerly and examined the scriptures
every day to see whether these things were so. Many of them therefore believed,
including not a few Greek women and men of high standing. But when the Jews of
Thessalonica learned that the word of God had been proclaimed by Paul in Beroea as
well, they came there too, to stir up and incite the crowds. Then the believers
immediately sent Paul away to the coast, but Silas and Timothy remained behind.
Those who conducted Paul brought him as far as Athens; and after receiving
instructions to have Silas and Timothy join him as soon as possible, they left him.

We pray for the coming of God's kingdom, saying,
Father, by your Spirit:
bring in your kingdom.

You came in Jesus to bring good news to the poor,
sight to the blind, freedom to the captives,
and salvation to your people:
anoint us with your Spirit;
rouse us to work in his name.
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to bring help to the poor
and freedom to the oppressed:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to tell the world
the good news of your healing love:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to those who mourn,
to bring joy and gladness instead of grief:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Send us to proclaim that the time is here
for you to save your people:
Father, by your Spirit,
bring in your kingdom.

Lord God, King of the Universe,
you show the bright glory of your reign
in acts of mercy and enduring love:
raise the spirits of the downcast
and restore those who have fallen away,
that your Church may continually sing of your saving help;

God of all trust,
may our faith be shown in our lives
marked with abundant joy, outrageous hope,
and dependence on nothing
but your word, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The psalms and collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray),

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from prayers by
Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.