OREMUS: 19 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jun 18 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Thursday, June 19, 2008

Blessed are you, God and Father of all believers!
You summoned our forebear Abram
to follow you in ways he did not know
and put his faith in things he could not see.
You bless all who honor him as their ancestor
and invite us to come together in understanding
and reverence for your name.

Blessed be the Lord my rock!*
 who trains my hands to fight and my fingers to battle;
My help and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,*
 my shield in whom I trust,
   who subdues the peoples under me.
O Lord, what are we that you should care for us?*
 mere mortals that you should think of us?
We are like a puff of wind;*
 our days are like a passing shadow.
Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down;*
 touch the mountains and they shall smoke.
Hurl the lightning and scatter them;*
 shoot out your arrows and rout them.
Stretch out your hand from on high;*
 rescue me and deliver me from the great waters,
   from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
O God, I will sing to you a new song;*
 I will play to you on a ten-stringed lyre.
You give victory to kings*
 and have rescued David your servant.
Rescue me from the hurtful sword*
 and deliver me from the hand of foreign peoples,
Whose mouths speak deceitfully*
 and whose right hand is raised in falsehood.
May our sons be like plants
   well nurtured from their youth,*
 and our daughters like sculptured corners of a palace.
May our barns be filled to overflowing*
 with all manner of crops;
May the flocks in our pastures
   increase by thousands and tens of thousands;*
 may our cattle be fat and sleek.
May there be no breaching of the walls,
   no going into exile,*
 no wailing in the public squares.
Happy are the people of whom this is so!*
 happy are the people whose God is the Lord!

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1.3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.
In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,
To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.
In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,
According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.
You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,
According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,
To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 you sea-monsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [1 Maccabees 2:15-30]:

The king's officers who were enforcing the apostasy came to the town of Modein to
make them offer sacrifice. Many from Israel came to them; and Mattathias and his sons
were assembled. Then the king's officers spoke to Mattathias as follows: "You are a
leader, honored and great in this town, and supported by sons and brothers. Now be
the first to come and do what the king commands, as all the Gentiles and the people of
Judah and those that are left in Jerusalem have done. Then you and your sons will be
numbered among the Friends of the king, and you and your sons will be honored with
silver and gold and many gifts."
But Mattathias answered and said in a loud voice: "Even if all the nations that live
under the rule of the king obey him, and have chosen to obey his commandments,
everyone of them abandoning the religion of their ancestors, I and my sons and my
brothers will continue to live by the covenant of our ancestors. Far be it from us to
desert the law and the ordinances. We will not obey the king's words by turning aside
from our religion to the right hand or to the left."
When he had finished speaking these words, a Jew came forward in the sight of all to
offer sacrifice on the altar in Modein, according to the king's command. When
Mattathias saw it, he burned with zeal and his heart was stirred. He gave vent to
righteous anger; he ran and killed him on the altar. At the same time he killed the
king's officer who was forcing them to sacrifice, and he tore down the altar. Thus he
burned with zeal for the law, just as Phinehas did against Zimri son of Salu. Then
Mattathias cried out in the town with a loud voice, saying: "Let every one who is
zealous for the law and supports the covenant come out with me!"
Then he and his sons fled to the hills and left all that they had in the town. At that time
many who were seeking righteousness and justice went down to the wilderness to live
there, they, their sons, their wives, and their livestock, because troubles pressed
heavily upon them.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1746
Tune: Cornwall

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o471.html

O love divine, how sweet thou art!
When shall I find my willing heart
all taken up by thee?
I thirst, I faint, I die to prove
the greatness of redeeming love,
the love of Christ to me.

Stronger his love than death or hell;
its reaches are unsearchable;
the first born sons of light
desire in vain its depths to see;
they cannot reach the mystery
the length, and breadth, and height.

God only knows the love of God;
O that it now were shed abroad
in this poor stony heart!
For love I sigh, for love I pine;
this only portion, Lord, be mine,
be mine this better part.

Forever would I take my seat
with Mary at the Master's feet;
be this my happy choice;
my only care, delight, and bliss,
my joy, my heaven on earth, be this
to hear the Bridegroom's voice.

SECOND READING [Acts 16:35-end]:

When morning came, the magistrates sent the police, saying, "Let those men go." And
the jailer reported the message to Paul, saying, "The magistrates sent word to let you
go; therefore come out now and go in peace." But Paul replied, "They have beaten us
in public, uncondemned, men who are Roman citizens, and have thrown us into prison;
and now are they going to discharge us in secret? Certainly not! Let them come and
take us out themselves." The police reported these words to the magistrates, and they
were afraid when they heard that they were Roman citizens; so they came and
apologized to them. And they took them out and asked them to leave the city. After
leaving the prison they went to Lydia's home; and when they had seen and encouraged
the brothers and sisters there, they departed.

We pray for the family of the church, for loving relationships,
and for the life of families around us, saying
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, born in poverty and soon a refugee,
be with families today who are poor
and live in hunger and want. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who grew in wisdom and in favor with God and the people
in the family of Joseph the carpenter,
bring wisdom and the presence of God
into the work and growth of families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who blessed marriage in the wedding at Cana,
be with those preparing for marriage
and with those who come to the end of their resources. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who healed Peter's mother in law,
bring healing to hurt relationships and families today. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the cross said,
'Mother, behold your son',
provide today for those who lose their families,
the bereaved and childless, orphans and widows. . .
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Jesus, who on the seashore provided food for the disciples,
bring the whole Church on earth and in heaven
 into your risen presence to eat at the eternal banquet.
Jesus, Lord of love:
in your mercy, hear us.

Generous and bountiful God,
give compassion to the prosperous
and comfort to the needy,
that all people may come to love and praise you,

God of all trust,
may our faith be shown in our lives
marked with abundant joy, outrageous hope,
and dependence on nothing
but your word, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from prayers by
Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

http://www.scottishepiscopal.com