OREMUS: 17 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 16 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Blessed are you, God and Father of all believers!
You summoned our forebear Abram
to follow you in ways he did not know
and put his faith in things he could not see.
You bless all who honor him as their ancestor
and invite us to come together in understanding
and reverence for your name.

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

Psalm 127

Unless the Lord builds the house,*
 their labour is in vain who build it.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,*
 in vain the guard keeps vigil.
It is in vain that you rise so early
   and go to bed so late;*
 vain, too, to eat the bread of toil,
   for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Children are a heritage from the Lord,*
 and the fruit of the womb is a gift.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior*
 are the children of one's youth.
Happy are they who have their quiver full of them!*
 they shall not be put to shame
   when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the night-watch for the morning,*
 more than the night-watch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

A Song of the Righteous (Wisdom 3.1,2a,3b-8)

The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God
and no torment will ever touch them.
In the eyes of the foolish, they seem to have died;
but they are at peace.
For though, in the sight of others, they were punished,
their hope is full of immortality.
Having been disciplined a little,
they will receive great good,
because God tested them and found them worthy.
Like gold in the furnace, God tried them
and, like a sacrificial burnt offering, accepted them.
In the time of their visitation, they will shine forth
and will run like sparks through the stubble.
They will govern nations and rule over peoples
and God will reign over them for ever.

FIRST READING [1 Maccabees 1:54-end]:

Now on the fifteenth day of Chislev, in the one hundred and forty-fifth year, they
erected a desolating sacrilege on the altar of burnt-offering. They also built altars in
the surrounding towns of Judah, and offered incense at the doors of the houses and in
the streets. The books of the law that they found they tore to pieces and burned with
fire. Anyone found possessing the book of the covenant, or anyone who adhered to the
law, was condemned to death by decree of the king. They kept using violence against
Israel, against those who were found month after month in the towns. On the
twenty-fifth day of the month they offered sacrifice on the altar that was on top of the
altar of burnt-offering. In accordance with the decree, they put to death the women
who had their children circumcised, and their families and those who circumcised
them; and they hung the infants from their mothers' necks.
But many in Israel stood firm and were resolved in their hearts not to eat unclean food.
They chose to die rather than to be defiled by food or to profane the holy covenant;
and they did die. Very great wrath came upon Israel.

HYMN
Words: Hardwicke D. Rawnsley (1851-1920)
Tune: Jesu ist das sch”nste Licht

Saviour, who didst healing give,
Still in power go before us;
Thou through death didst bid men live.
Unto fuller life restore us:
Strength from thee the fainting found,
Deaf men heard, the blind went seeing;
At thy touch was banished sickness,
And the leper felt new being.

Thou didst work thy deeds of old
Through the loving hands of others;
Still thy mercies manifold
Bless men by the hands of brothers;
Angels still before thy face
Go, sweet health to brothers bringing;
Still, hearts glow to tell his praises
With whose name the Church is ringing.

Loved physician! for his word,
Lo, the gospel page burns brighter:
Mission servant of the Lord,
Painter true and faithful writer:
Saviour, of thy bounty send
Such as Luke of Gospel story,
Friends to all in body's prison
Till the sufferer see thy glory.

SECOND READING [Acts 16:6-15]:

Paul and Timothy went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia, having been
forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia. When they had come opposite
Mysia, they attempted to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them; so,
passing by Mysia, they went down to Troas. During the night Paul had a vision: there
stood a man of Macedonia pleading with him and saying, 'Come over to Macedonia and
help us.' When he had seen the vision, we immediately tried to cross over to Macedonia,
being convinced that God had called us to proclaim the good news to them.
We set sail from Troas and took a straight course to Samothrace, the following day to
Neapolis, and from there to Philippi, which is a leading city of the district of Macedonia
and a Roman colony. We remained in this city for some days. On the sabbath day we
went outside the gate by the river, where we supposed there was a place of prayer; and
we sat down and spoke to the women who had gathered there. A certain woman named
Lydia, a worshipper of God, was listening to us; she was from the city of Thyatira and a
dealer in purple cloth. The Lord opened her heart to listen eagerly to what was said by
Paul. When she and her household were baptized, she urged us, saying, 'If you have
judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come and stay at my home.' And she prevailed
upon us.

We pray to God our Father, saying:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For all Christian people, knit together by your word of life;
and for all who teach and guard the faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who study and translate the Scriptures:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who are mocked and persecuted for their faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who long to know you, and your living Word:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those tempted to forsake your way;
for those whose hearts are hardened and unfeeling,
and for those who threaten war:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those bowed down with grief, fear or sickness, (especially. . .)
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

Giving thanks for those who have died in the faith of Christ,
we rejoice with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary and all your saints,
trusting in the promise of your word fulfilled.
Lord of the Church:
hear our prayer,
and make us one in heart and mind
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

Be with us, God of consolation,
when we are made weary by this world;
turn our sorrow into joy
and give us lips to sing your praise
and lives to proclaim your victory in Jesus Christ,
our crucified and risen Lord. Amen.

God of all trust,
may our faith be shown in our lives
marked with abundant joy, outrageous hope,
and dependence on nothing
but your word, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The psalms and collect are from _Celebrating Common Prayer_ (Mowbray),

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from prayers by
Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.