OREMUS: 16 June 2008

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 15 17:00:01 GMT 2008

OREMUS for Monday, June 16, 2008
Joseph Butler, Bishop of Durham, Philosopher, 1752

Blessed are you, God and Father of all believers!
You summoned our forebear Abram
to follow you in ways he did not know
and put his faith in things he could not see.
You bless all who honor him as their ancestor
and invite us to come together in understanding
and reverence for your name.

O Lord, you have dealt graciously with your servant,*
 according to your word.
Teach me discernment and knowledge,*
 for I have believed in your commandments.
Before I was afflicted I went astray,*
 but now I keep your word.
You are good and you bring forth good;*
 instruct me in your statutes.
The proud have smeared me with lies,*
 but I will keep your commandments
   with my whole heart.
Their heart is gross and fat,*
 but my delight is in your law.
It is good for me that I have been afflicted,*
 that I might learn your statutes.
The law of your mouth is dearer to me*
 than thousands in gold and silver.
Your hands have made me and fashioned me;*
 give me understanding,
   that I may learn your commandments.
Those who fear you will be glad when they see me,*
 because I trust in your word.
I know, O Lord, that your judgements are right*
 and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
Let your loving-kindness be my comfort*
 as you have promised to your servant.
Let your compassion come to me, that I may live,*
 for your law is my delight.
Let the arrogant be put to shame,
   for they wrong me with lies;*
 but I will meditate on your commandments.
Let those who fear you turn to me,*
 and also those who know your decrees.
Let my heart be sound in your statutes,*
 that I may not be put to shame.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (Isaiah 66.10,11a,12a,12c,13a,14a,b)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her,
all you who love her,' says the Lord.
'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,
'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'
For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.
'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;
'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [1 Maccabees 1:41-53]:

The king wrote to his whole kingdom that all should be one people, and that all should
give up their particular customs. All the Gentiles accepted the command of the king.
Many even from Israel gladly adopted his religion; they sacrificed to idols and
profaned the sabbath. And the king sent letters by messengers to Jerusalem and the
towns of Judah; he directed them to follow customs strange to the land, to forbid
burnt-offerings and sacrifices and drink-offerings in the sanctuary, to profane sabbaths
and festivals, to defile the sanctuary and the priests, to build altars and sacred precincts
and shrines for idols, to sacrifice swine and other unclean animals, and to leave their
sons uncircumcised. They were to make themselves abominable by everything unclean
and profane, so that they would forget the law and change all the ordinances. He
added, 'And whoever does not obey the command of the king shall die.'
In such words he wrote to his whole kingdom. He appointed inspectors over all the
people and commanded the towns of Judah to offer sacrifice, town by town. Many of
the people, everyone who forsook the law, joined them, and they did evil in the land;
they drove Israel into hiding in every place of refuge they had.

HYMN
Words: W. Walsham How (1823-1897)
Tune: St. Alphege

We praise thy grace, O Saviour,
that beareth with us long,
And ever out of weakness
Thy servants maketh strong.

The saint who left his comrades,
And turned back from the fight,
Behold at last victorious
In thy prevailing might!

>From thee, Lord, came the courage
Once more to front the host;
Thy strength, most mighty Saviour,
In weakness shineth most.

Thy love thy saint hath numbered
Among the blessŠd four,
And all the world rejoiceth
To learn his gospel-lore.

O Lord, our human weakness
With pitying eye behold;
Uplift the fainting spirit,
And make the coward bold.

O Jesu, glorious Victor
O'er all the hosts of sin,
In us thy strength make perfect,
In us the victory win.

SECOND READING [Acts 15:36-16:5]:

After some days Paul said to Barnabas, 'Come, let us return and visit the believers in
every city where we proclaimed the word of the Lord and see how they are doing.'
Barnabas wanted to take with them John called Mark. But Paul decided not to take with
them one who had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not accompanied them in the
work. The disagreement became so sharp that they parted company; Barnabas took
Mark with him and sailed away to Cyprus. But Paul chose Silas and set out, the
believers commending him to the grace of the Lord. He went through Syria and Cilicia,
strengthening the churches.
Paul went on also to Derbe and to Lystra, where there was a disciple named Timothy,
the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer; but his father was a Greek. He was well
spoken of by the believers in Lystra and Iconium. Paul wanted Timothy to accompany
him; and he took him and had him circumcised because of the Jews who were in those
places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. As they went from town to town,
they delivered to them for observance the decisions that had been reached by the
apostles and elders who were in Jerusalem. So the churches were strengthened in the
faith and increased in numbers daily.

you bring your chosen people together in one communion,
in the body of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
We rejoice in your light and your peace
for your whole Church in heaven and on earth.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give to all who mourn a sure confidence in your loving care,
that we may cast all our sorrow on you,
and know the consolation of your love.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give your faithful people pardon and peace,
that we may be cleansed from all our sins,
and serve you with a quiet mind.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give us strength to meet the days ahead
in the joyful expectation of eternal life with those you love.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

Give to us who are still in our pilgrimage,
and who walk as yet by faith,
your Holy Spirit to lead us
in holiness and righteousness all our days.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

May all who have been made one with Christ
in his death and in his resurrection
die to sin and rise to newness of life.
Lord of mercy:
Lord, hear us.

O God,
renew our spirits and draw our hearts to you,
that our work may not be a burden, but a source of delight;
and so fill us with love for you
that we may delight in you and rejoice in all
that honors your most holy Name;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
by your Holy Spirit
you give to some the word of wisdom,
to others the word of knowledge,
to others the word of faith:
We praise your Name for the gifts of grace
manifested in your servant Joseph Butler,
and we pray that your Church
may never be destitute of such gifts;

God of all trust,
may our faith be shown in our lives
marked with abundant joy, outrageous hope,
and dependence on nothing
but your word, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from prayers by
Alan Griffiths.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is
included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 1995.

Butler was born in 1692 and ordained in 1718. In 1726 he published Fifteen
Sermons, preached at the Rolls Chapel in London, and chiefly dealing with
human nature and its implications for ethics and practical Christian life. He
maintained that it is normal for a man to have an instinct of self-interest, which
leads him to seek his own good, and equally normal for him to have an instinct
of benevolence, which leads him to seek the good of others individually and
generally, and that the two aims do not in fact conflict.
He served as parish priest in several parishes, and in 1736 was appointed
chaplain to Queen Caroline, wife of King George II. In the same year he
published his masterpiece, The Analogy of Religion, Natural and Revealed, to
the Constitution and Course of Nature (often cited simply as "Butler's
Analogy"), a work chiefly directed against Deism, of which more will be said
below. Appended to the main work was a treatise, Of the Nature of Virtue,
which establishes him as one of the foremost British writers on ethics, or moral
philosophy.
When the Queen died in 1737, Butler was made Bishop of Bristol. However,
George II had been impressed with him earlier, and in 1746 he was called back
to court and the next year offered the post of Archbishop of Canterbury. He
refused the post, but in 1750 he became Bishop of Durham. He died there on
16 June 1752. [James Kiefer, abridged; for the original, see
http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kilroy/JEK/06/16.html]